By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch wins April NPD (over 280k)

good numbers, let's wait and see if this continues. Switch still needs 3rd party games to ensure longevity. I really hope Switch first year can outsell Wii U LT.

Around the Network

I hope we see more stock being sold. Most stores near me still have stocking issues

RolStoppable said:
outlawauron said:
The stock allocation is super weird. How did they only ship 280k to US/Canada/Mexico?

There was news that Nintendo sent Switch units to the USA via air freight. Therefore the inevitable return to the usual way of shipping creates a gap with low to no supply which results in lower sales.

280k isn't far off from the 300k I estimated in the Amazon thread, so everything is fine as far as I am concerned. Still, it's a bit of a shame that it is 280k. Switch's March was greater than Wii U's November and December 2012 combined, and with 302k units for April Switch would have sold as much as Wii U sold in the timeframe January to June 2013. 280k means that Switch beat only five months of Wii U, but oh well.

I thought they were continuing to ship via air freigh prepetually until the stock problems were solved. If it was just a small span of time, then that's kinda disappointing.

It's not that 280k is a bad number, I just thought they were shipping a lot more than that.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

zorg1000 said:
outlawauron said:
The stock allocation is super weird. How did they only ship 280k to US/Canada/Mexico?

this is just US, it doesnt include Canada/Mexico.

They're tiny markets, so it's not a huge number. I just thought that they were reporting overall NA sales rather than just US sales. It's been combined often in the past.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Tryklon said:
DialgaMarine said:

Switch is going to get outsold by a huge margin From September and onward. There's nothing Nintendo can release that will compete with the massive third party games that the device is unfortunately not getting. 

Games like Horizon? Which sold great for like 2 or 3 weeks and then suddenly vanished from charts?

Yeahhh right, thats what Nintendo needs...

Horizon isn't third party and last I checked it is still on the charts. But that's what happens when a console has so many games to offer vs a console that has only one game of any noteriety; the sales breakup is a little bit less. 

And yes, Nintendo does need strong third party support if this is going to last. It's already at a disadvantage to not being able to offer any multiplayer-centric games like Destiny, Overwatch, or Battlefront; it's going to need all it can get as sadly Nintendo titles don't push hardware anymore. Before you mention 3DS, keep in mind it's going to finish off its life as Nintendo's worst selling portable, even behind the PSP. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network
DialgaMarine said:
Tryklon said:

Games like Horizon? Which sold great for like 2 or 3 weeks and then suddenly vanished from charts?

Yeahhh right, thats what Nintendo needs...

Horizon isn't third party and last I checked it is still on the charts. But that's what happens when a console has so many games to offer vs a console that has only one game of any noteriety; the sales breakup is a little bit less. 

And yes, Nintendo does need strong third party support if this is going to last. It's already at a disadvantage to not being able to offer any multiplayer-centric games like Destiny, Overwatch, or Battlefront; it's going to need all it can get as sadly Nintendo titles don't push hardware anymore. Before you mention 3DS, keep in mind it's going to finish off its life as Nintendo's worst selling portable, even behind the PSP. 

Nintendo titles don't push hardware any more? After that statement i literally can't take you serious any more. Not that any of your previous comments state a case for you to be taken seriously anyway.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

I can see Nintendo owning the Summer. September will probably go to Playstation.

Otter said:
I can see Nintendo owning the Summer. September will probably go to Playstation.

Wait for E3 to actually check the September line up before commiting to that =P

PS4: Tryklon  Steam: Tryklon

Switch: 0307-6588-7010 | New 2DS XL: 2037-2612-6964

MacBook Air (Mid 2017) | iPhone SE | Apple Watch Series 3

Congrats! I wasn't sure it would win April due to supply. Hopefully they keep suplying it so it grabs future NPDs.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

outlawauron said:
zorg1000 said:

this is just US, it doesnt include Canada/Mexico.

They're tiny markets, so it's not a huge number. I just thought that they were reporting overall NA sales rather than just US sales. It's been combined often in the past.

youre right that they are small markets and US probably makes up close to 90% of NA sales, i was just letting you know they arent included.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.