By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch wins April NPD (over 280k)

Farsala said:
Expected, but the market seems really bad.

Switch needs to make up sales for 2-4 consoles being massively down yoy almost every month.

It was about 471k last year, but now it is ~416k without Switch. (12% down)

It is interesting to note that Wii U (32k last year) has nonexistent sales anymore and legacy consoles (12.5k +3.7k + > 5k) probably dropped quite a bit.

So 3DS being down only ~7k and PS4+XB1 is actually up >6k yoy after subtracting everything else.

The PS4 and X1 have been out for years at this point: both launched in 2013. They are approaching their 5th year of life, sales drop as they get older. Same happened with the 360 and PS3 as I recall. 

As much as I would prefer a PS5 and X2 don't appear until the Switch has a full year to stabalize, the drop is expected. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network
KrspaceT said:
Farsala said:
Expected, but the market seems really bad.

Switch needs to make up sales for 2-4 consoles being massively down yoy almost every month.

It was about 471k last year, but now it is ~416k without Switch. (12% down)

It is interesting to note that Wii U (32k last year) has nonexistent sales anymore and legacy consoles (12.5k +3.7k + > 5k) probably dropped quite a bit.

So 3DS being down only ~7k and PS4+XB1 is actually up >6k yoy after subtracting everything else.

The PS4 and X1 have been out for years at this point: both launched in 2013. They are approaching their 5th year of life, sales drop as they get older. Same happened with the 360 and PS3 as I recall. 

As much as I would prefer a PS5 and X2 don't appear until the Switch has a full year to stabalize, the drop is expected. 

Eh I was saying the PS4+XB1 were actually up YoY, and even the 3DS is holding fairly strong. But without the Switch the market would be pretty bad overall.

Mar1217 said:
outlawauron said:

They're tiny markets, so it's not a huge number. I just thought that they were reporting overall NA sales rather than just US sales. It's been combined often in the past.

**TRIGGERED !!!!**

To be honest we're probably on equal foot with markets such as France,Spain or even UK dare I say. But I don't have specific numbers to support this claim though ...

Nah, not even close. Canada is more similar to Australia than it is to the UK. For comparing to the US, Canada is 5-7% of US's sales usually.

There are a ton of studios based in Canada though. They're vital to the industry.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

DialgaMarine said:
Tryklon said:

Games like Horizon? Which sold great for like 2 or 3 weeks and then suddenly vanished from charts?

Yeahhh right, thats what Nintendo needs...

Horizon isn't third party and last I checked it is still on the charts. But that's what happens when a console has so many games to offer vs a console that has only one game of any noteriety; the sales breakup is a little bit less. 

And yes, Nintendo does need strong third party support if this is going to last.

Most games on the Switch are third party.

DialgaMarine said:

It's already at a disadvantage to not being able to offer any multiplayer-centric games like Destiny, Overwatch, or Battlefront

Games like MK8, Bomberman, Snipperclips, ARMS, Fifa 18, NBA 2K18, Splatoon 2, and Fast Racing Neo are not multiplayer-centric?

DialgaMarine said:

it's going to need all it can get as sadly Nintendo titles don't push hardware anymore.

And yet a number of their titles are still million-sellers.

Switch doesn't need Destiny. It's like saying the smartphone/tablet better be afraid the PC has Adobe Photoshop or something.

Now sure it would be *nice* to have, but until a PS4 can be taken onto the road and played anywhere, it's not stopping the Switch from selling (or vice versa). There's room on the market for both to be successful and for MS to even get a piece too.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Mar1217 said:

**TRIGGERED !!!!**

To be honest we're probably on equal foot with markets such as France,Spain or even UK dare I say. But I don't have specific numbers to support this claim though ...

Nah, not even close. Canada is more similar to Australia than it is to the UK. For comparing to the US, Canada is 5-7% of US's sales usually.

There are a ton of studios based in Canada though. They're vital to the industry.

Yeah we've got more moose than people and moose are Sony fanboys.

Signature goes here!

Here we go with Nintendo fans talking about Sony fans. It's old guys. It's video games. Unless you have stock in the company you sound silly trashing fans of other consoles. It's video games not life people. Just play what you want and be happy

Rem87919394 said:
Here we go with Nintendo fans talking about Sony fans. It's old guys. It's video games. Unless you have stock in the company you sound silly trashing fans of other consoles. It's video games not life people. Just play what you want and be happy

The brand of ketchup I use it better than your ketchup and will outsell it too! Take that! ;)

Soundwave said:
Rem87919394 said:

The brand of ketchup I use it better than your ketchup and will outsell it too! Take that! ;)

I'm convinced some people here would legit have that argument lol

Tryklon said:
Otter said:
I can see Nintendo owning the Summer. September will probably go to Playstation.

Wait for E3 to actually check the September line up before commiting to that =P

Meh, Nintendo's septembers are never that great. I bet we'll see fire emblem warriors or another C list title. Sony will definitely be doing heavy promo with Destiny 2. I was also banking on Fifa but I forgot that this is NPD and Americans aren't as crazy over those games :/