By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch wins April NPD (over 280k)

SpokenTruth said:
NES Classic was the second best selling console according to NPD.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-05-18-nintendo-helps-push-april-us-game-sales-up-10-percent-npd

Now that was unexpected. If NES Classic takes second spot and Switch already almost half of sales, it must mean PS4, Xbox ONE and 3DS have to be way down in sales

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-05-18-nintendo-helps-push-april-us-game-sales-up-10-percent-npd

All consoles bar the Switch beaten by the NES. How embarrassing.

Bofferbrauer said:
SpokenTruth said:

Now that was unexpected. If NES Classic takes second spot and Switch already almost half of sales, it must mean PS4, Xbox ONE and 3DS have to be way down in sales

Market has changed, the 8th gen has peaked early as expected, it was all in motion for some year now for those who wanted to see it.

Bofferbrauer said:
SpokenTruth said:

Switch and 3DS are almost half of sales. We don't know if the NES Classic is included in the hardware totals, but it would mean either PS4 or XBO had the worst month in their life.

Here, I brought it up on the NPD thread, Farsala has a nice post about it. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8418783

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Pavolink said:
Sprash said:

right opinions? how can a opinion be right or wrong? and I hope nintendo makes a few good games so I can buy their consoles at least on playstation I have the best third party games to play :)

Are those the best third party offerings? Ok.

Yes most third party games I loved aren't available on a nintendo platform so ernte I guess.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer said:
SpokenTruth said:

Yeah something must be up there, maybe they count NES Classic sales, but they're not counting them in the total for all consoles combined? 

Because then it would be like

Switch -280k

NES Classic - 200k(?)

3DS - 68k 

If the montly hardware total was roughly 800k, that leaves only like 251k for PS4 + XBox One (that also assumes PS3/360/Vita sales are basically a zero). 

Mummelmann said:
Bofferbrauer said:

Market has changed, the 8th gen has peaked early as expected, it was all in motion for some year now for those who wanted to see it.

I've been more or less paying attention in the last year or so. I'd be interested in a quick recap of those signs if you don't mind.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Mummelmann said:

I've been more or less paying attention in the last year or so. I'd be interested in a quick recap of those signs if you don't mind.

As I wrote in the infamous UNITY thread at the very beginning of the 8th gen and even before PS4 and One released; smart devices are steering the ship in consumer electronics, leading to increased pace and mass market pandering with added functionality and features, these in turn require more updates and the static nature of consoles relative to more convenience driven devices force manufacturers to make more revisions to maintain appeal and viable breadth to stay within market constants, both in hardware and software. Inevitably though, the increased pace, breadth of market and number of options tailor-made for specific consumer desires and needs leads to shorter overall hardware generations, chip manufacturers are also pumping out revisions and new sets faster than ever before for the same reasons.
To add to that, the 7th gen saw the beginning of the HD era, which was bound to extend the life cycle of concurrent hardware of the period as developers and hardware engineers alike adapted to and entered the new paradigm, not unlike the VGA and SVGA shift in the 90's required adaptations. 1440p and 4k devices ensure the need for continuous updates on hardware chipsets, but rather than the extended period of paradigm shift we saw in the 7th gen, we're seeing more "tricks" being utilized to upscale and/or tailor images and graphics to displays and chipsets in order to keep the need for raw power output to a reasonable, and more mass market-oriented, level both in price and relative R&D and assembly + raw materials cost.

Put simply; "fake" 4k and other upscaling tricks are a direct result of measures taken to pander to the mass market and offer breadth in various devices in an affordable, or seemingly affordable package. To some extent, all currently available static devices are guilty of attempting to appeal to two or more demographics at once, but this has been made much, much harder post-smart device revolution, and is the main catalyst behind the increased need for revision and updates. The hope is that it increases perceived value, which it clearly does in some cases, but the long term effect seems quite small (if the PS4 Pro and the relatively lukewarm expectations of the Scorpio are indications). The irony is that this sort of pandering to mass market leads to added risk of losing core users, which is kind of ironic, seeing as how these are the ones most likely to appreciate said functions and upgrades in their proper form. Not unlike nerds who used chatrooms and online functions in the 90's and early 2000's and even invented the global linguistic twists such as "lol" and "omg" and the mass market has completely swallowed this by now, relatively speaking, of course (as ususal...).

I've stated that the 8th gen would see more revisions than the 7th gen and that it would be a significantly shorter one with an overall contraction of user base, even if onyl counting the core user base. The market has changed a lot since the beginning of the 7th gen. Also; the most static devices (home consoles) have now begun to suffer the same consequences the dedicated handheld did. I think I've also said that the 8th gen was the last gen where all three major conpetitors in the home console space would strive for sameness and that the 9th gen would be where they strive to set themselves apart, mostly out of sheer need.

PS: My original post was supposed to say "for some years now", obviously...

Happy for Nintendo

http://twitter.com/skyer7

3ds: 4270-1889-2005

Going by Nintendo's end of March numbers (2.7m) given in their IM and April's NPD (280k) as well as the numbers in Japan given by MC/Fam in the sales forum for April (181k) that would mean US and Japan sold around 461k putting the NS at around 3.16m at the end of April before we get the numbers for the PAL region.

Going by this rate if it continues NS may be just under 4m by the end of May.