Traditional console cycle 60 33.33%

Upgraded hardware 34 18.89%

PC Gaming 37 20.56%

Mobile phones as console 19 10.56%

Streaming 17 9.44%

Standalone VR/AR headsets 13 7.22%

Total:180
SvennoJ said:

McGuire said that to match the capabilities of human vision, future graphics systems need to be able to process 100,000 megapixels per second, up from the 450 megapixels per second they’re capable of today.

Doing so will help push the vastly higher display resolutions required and push the rendering latency down from current thresholds of about 20 milliseconds towards a goal of latency under one millisecond — approaching the maximum perceptive abilities of humans.

Any added lag from streaming or even a wireless connection would hamper that goal of reaching 1ms latency.

Hehe, that 1ms target puts a real physical limit on it. As light travels at 299 million meters per second, it means it travels around 300km per millisecond. This time is needed to transport the signal from the sensors to the render-machine and the rendered image back, so the machine can only be away half that distance: 150km. And that means, no time is lost on routing, processing, rendering. So I expect in best cases, that the server cannot be more away than 50 kilometers. So, how many servers would you need to achieve that for a country like the USA? I don't think any company can shoulder that amount of investments. So higher lag is to be expected.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
jason1637 said:

You don't need powerful chips to stream games. Just meh specs and good wifi.

What I mean is the average smartphone will be able to process visuals on par with the PS4 or better fairly easily at some point, which is a level of visual fidelity that's "good enough" for most people, I think they will simply just run games off their phone. That and most displays in the future will be smart displays capable of receiving a wireless signal from a phone. You'll just walk into any room and be able to beam whatever game you want to play onto whatever display happens to be nearby. Pick up a Bluetooth controller and play. 

That may actually be a viable possibility, but is still some steps away from a technical standpoint. It would be a hybrid concept like the Switch, you can play on TV (which get's streamed images from yor phone), then take your phone and play on the go. The classical console makers will fight back for a time with exclusives. Exclusive games will become a high valued thing.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

"..not as easy to use, generally higher price/performance ratio."

You can build a PC equal to the cost of consoles or lower and get better performance, not to mention that you don't need to pay a fee for online play, which adds up over time.

Not as easy to use? I guess that's subjective but using Windows 10 or a simple Linux distro is pretty darn simple and shouldn't be much harder to navigate compared to a console UI, especially with the fluidity of using a keyboard and mouse.

Ka-pi96 said:
SmileyAja said:
"..not as easy to use, generally higher price/performance ratio."

You can build a PC equal to the cost of consoles or lower and get better performance, not to mention that you don't need to pay a fee for online play, which adds up over time.

Not as easy to use? I guess that's subjective but using Windows 10 or a simple Linux distro is pretty darn simple and shouldn't be much harder to navigate compared to a console UI, especially with the fluidity of using a keyboard and mouse.

Dood, just because you can doesn't mean others can. Everybody can buy a console and plug it in, that's easy. Not everybody can build a PC, and your reply will probably be "but it's easy to learn" but that's not true for people who could not care less about it.

You can have a PC shops assemble it for you for basically no cost. And yes, it's not complicated to learn but I can see why people wouldn't want to mess with that.

Looking at the baneful games community it looks pretty dire for the future of gaming.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Traditional console cycle:
Pro: Provides a clean break from old hardware allowing devs to focus on 1 hardware spec, games get the most out of the hardware.
Neg: Resets the user base to zero, games may not carry over to next gen.

Thoughts?

Consoles stay x86, and with a AMD APU going forwards.

Playstation 5 plays older PS4 games, and XB2 plays older XB1 games.

Traditional Console cycles continue.

Cloud powaaa and VR gaming 2030s.

All digital future

Mnementh said:
SvennoJ said:

McGuire said that to match the capabilities of human vision, future graphics systems need to be able to process 100,000 megapixels per second, up from the 450 megapixels per second they’re capable of today.

Doing so will help push the vastly higher display resolutions required and push the rendering latency down from current thresholds of about 20 milliseconds towards a goal of latency under one millisecond — approaching the maximum perceptive abilities of humans.

Any added lag from streaming or even a wireless connection would hamper that goal of reaching 1ms latency.

Hehe, that 1ms target puts a real physical limit on it. As light travels at 299 million meters per second, it means it travels around 300km per millisecond. This time is needed to transport the signal from the sensors to the render-machine and the rendered image back, so the machine can only be away half that distance: 150km. And that means, no time is lost on routing, processing, rendering. So I expect in best cases, that the server cannot be more away than 50 kilometers. So, how many servers would you need to achieve that for a country like the USA? I don't think any company can shoulder that amount of investments. So higher lag is to be expected.

The local hardware can finish or adjust the image like watching 360 VR videos. There's no lag when turning your head on those since it simply sends the whole 360 video. That's pretty ineffecient and can be improved by only sending the part you could possibly see by turning your head within the roundtrip lag. Add foveated rendering with enough room to cover how fast you can move your pupils and you can reduce the bandwidth a lot too.

The tricky part is compensating correctly for lateral head movements in 3D. Perhaps you won't really notice it or you can send depth information with the image for local just in time adjustments. That depth information can also be used for depth of field corrections for eye tracking. VR streaming will need some local processing to work, but the real work can still be done far away. Head movements are very noticeable in VR, yet pulling a trigger with a 30ms delay doesn't bother anyone.

The infrastructure needs to improve a lot first. I can hardly stream one 4k 360 video at a time, which looks blurry and only runs at 30fps. 4K 120 fps per eye, is really the minimum for good VR. With 1ms latency you're looking at 1000 fps, and the human eye can benefit from 9K to 18K per eye at the 150 degrees fov of the human eye. Which sounds like a lot, yet with foveated rendering that's doable.

The traditional console will decline, but not die off. They will eventually become the cheap economy model.

Upgradeable mobile gaming platforms will continue to increase in market share until they achieve dominance. I am unsure if this industry will merge with existing mobile, as the price points will be far too high, and people generally gravitate toward more specialized hardware that gives more for less money.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.