By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware (04/01/17)

Wow, NS beating PS4 twice in a row. PS4 resists very well, though. Zelda sales still awesome, >7:10 attach rate on sales this week and still >8:10 on total sales.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Europe and rotw never let ps4 down cant say the same for usa and japan.

Goooooo NS!!

NATO said:
Kerotan said:

With demand currently a fair bit higher then supply it shouldn't be settling at xbox one numbers anytime soon.  That wouldn't be a good number. 

only time will tell but i estimate it will hit that pace by july, keeping in mind vgcs numbers are still a good 6 weeks behind

It sold 45k per week on average in Japan during April. It's doing more than that in May already, and it's still supply constrained there. So you're telling us that you expect the Switch to sell only another 40k in the west on average (US + Europe + RoW)? Are you willing to take a bet that its weekly worldwide average will be at least 150k+ in July? 

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

NATO said:
Bofferbrauer said:

When Splatoon 2 releases? Well, good luck with that...

which would be a temporary release spike, as i stated.

In Japan will definitely not be temporary release spike, Splatoon 2 will make new baseline for Switch in Japan.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
NATO said:

which would be a temporary release spike, as i stated.

In Japan will definitely not be temporary release spike, Splatoon 2 will make new baseline for Switch in Japan.

I know, I thought we learnt long ago not to doubt Splatoon, it certainly deserves more credit than causing nothing more than a temporary release spike. I mean it does currently hold the title of the best selling home console game of the 8th generation in Japan, and now it's getting a sequel on a portable console. This is a title that will be selling systems until Splatoon 3 which will just end up selling even more systems.

If you thought demand for the Switch was high in Japan now, just wait cause the only limit to Splatoon 2's selling power will be the amount of consoles that have actually been made and shipped.

Competition is goooood.

LipeJJ said:

It sold 45k per week on average in Japan during April. It's doing more than that in May already, and it's still supply constrained there. So you're telling us that you expect the Switch to sell only another 40k in the west on average (US + Europe + RoW)? Are you willing to take a bet that its weekly worldwide average will be at least 150k+ in July? 

NATO said:

I came to the conclusion that Switch will reach that point by July, where stock will be available and the device will be averaging 100-150k per week, 

You're asking if i'm willing to take a bet that the console will sell as much as I have already estimated it would?

Nice job.

NATO said:
LipeJJ said:

NATO said:

I came to the conclusion that Switch will reach that point by July, where stock will be available and the device will be averaging 100-150k per week, 

You're asking if i'm willing to take a bet that the console will sell as much as I have already estimated it would?

Nice job.

Only read your first posts when you said it would be a bit above Xbox One levels, which right now would be something like 120k, that's why I said at least 150k, because from 100k to 150k there is a big gap. Anyway, we can up the game and bet on 200k, which I'm still pretty sure it will achieve.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
NATO said:

Nice job.

Only read your first posts when you said it would be a bit above Xbox One levels, which right now would be something like 120k, that's why I said at least 150k, because from 100k to 150k there is a big gap. Anyway, we can up the game and bet on 200k, which I'm still pretty sure it will achieve.

So you're saying if it drops below 150k you lose?, or are you going to chicken out and blame supply constraints if that happens?

See, the thing is, if my estimates are wrong, then I don't really lose, another strong selling console on the market is a good thing, and it means the console is more likely to get more games, and that tracking the sales data will be a little more interesting, but that's the benefit of not being emotionally invested in whether or not it succeeds, i just make my estimates based on the data we have, and that data has, without fail, shown that the first 8 weeks are always erratic and higher than the baseline significantly, as the switches sales current are and will be.

And as with every data driven estimate, the more accurate the data the better the estimate, so as each weeks sales data come in, the estimate will no doubt change to reflect that, as good data always should.

Still, I'm fairly confident that it will reach a level between 100k and 150k, so you're on.