By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware (04/01/17)

NATO said:
peachbuggy said:

Tbh the graphs were so small i couldn't even see the figures. Again, your projections are based on hope, what actual evidence do you have to predict the switch will fall into a baseline under the ps4? Especially when sales are purely related to stock atm. Whatever comes into the retail channel is sold out within literally hours and i don't see that changing any time soon.

you're not worth any further effort, i'll let the reality of the next few months of sales data educate you instead.

LOL! Yes indeed we will see. However you mistook me for yourself. I look forward to serving you crow in a couple of months. Ps, don't give up the day job!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network
peachbuggy said:
NATO said:

you're not worth any further effort, i'll let the reality of the next few months of sales data educate you instead.

LOL! Yes indeed we will see. However you mistook me for yourself. I look forward to serving you crow in a couple of months. Ps, don't give up the day job!

Not picking sides here, but Nintendo generally has a great initial opening and tends to die down. The most recent evidence otherwise would be the wii, which was released in november, and hit the market violently with great word of mouth. I personally think that the ps4 is a beast right now, with an insane catalogue, so I will keep an eye on switch and see if they can transition well into the rest of the year.

PS: I personally also think switch is a great system.

theprof00 said:
peachbuggy said:

Not picking sides here, but Nintendo generally has a great initial opening and tends to die down. The most recent evidence otherwise would be the wii, which was released in november, and hit the market violently with great word of mouth. I personally think that the ps4 is a beast right now, with an insane catalogue, so I will keep an eye on switch and see if they can transition well into the rest of the year.

The systems that died down didn't sell like the Switch is selling now and didn't have the same type of software line up planned for the first 12 months, how many of those systems had 3 system sellers lined up in the first 5 months with 2 coming in the first two, they also weren't hybrid systems either that have the added market of portable gaming consumers. Even if we look at the portable side the 3DS had a slow start that was still better than a number of consoles and picked up as time went on and will finish its life at 70m

theprof00 said:
peachbuggy said:

May be early days but i tend to think the Switch will follow more closely to the wii trajectory, through a variety of sources, admittedly some of them anecdotal  but there are definitely signs the Switch has a lot of similalarities with the Wii in hype and demand from what i'm hearing and seeing

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Let us not forget that some games have the ability to raise a system's baseline for an extended period, not just a brief spike. Splatoon 2 will likely be one such game.

Around the Network

^ ^ THIS ^^

Barkley said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
The 9th generation has officially begun.

"9th generation" how adorable! The switch doesn't belong in an industry-wide generation, but if you do insist on cramming it into one for some reason I'd be interested to know what defines the Switch as being in the "9th gen" when (assuming the PS5 launches 2020):

It'll share more of it's software library with PS4 than PS5.
It's release date will likely be closer to PS4 than PS5.
It's closer in power to PS4
It'll spend more of it's life on the market against PS4 than PS5.

So what makes this device more fitting to be in a group with PS5 than PS4?

Whether you choose to define generation by time, power or software "ninth-gen" certainly doesn't seem to make sense. Though ushering in a fictional ninth-generation is a convenient way to move-on from recent performances, both by Nintendo themselves with the WiiU and their competitors with the PS4.

Let's not get bogged down by Archaic terminology and shackle the switch to some "generation" because apparently it has to be in one. There's no reason you have to put it in one.

Generations are defined by brand new hardware. It's pretty easy stuff.

There is nowhere near the hype for the Switch as there was the Wii. It also suffered major stock problems in its boom days.

The Switch is a replacement for both 3DS and Wii U. It's no surprise that it's sales are big despite a lack luster software line up.

I think it sells great the first 3 years as all the big Wii U and 3DS franchises hit the platform. Then sales will settle down.

NATO said:
peachbuggy said:

Tbh the graphs were so small i couldn't even see the figures. Again, your projections are based on hope, what actual evidence do you have to predict the switch will fall into a baseline under the ps4? Especially when sales are purely related to stock atm. Whatever comes into the retail channel is sold out within literally hours and i don't see that changing any time soon.

...Tough to argue with THIS logic.. Haha

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Kerotan said:
There is nowhere near the hype for the Switch as there was the Wii. It also suffered major stock problems in its boom days.

The Switch is a replacement for both 3DS and Wii U. It's no surprise that it's sales are big despite a lack luster software line up.

I think it sells great the first 3 years as all the big Wii U and 3DS franchises hit the platform. Then sales will settle down.

Like you wrote, Switch will be replacement for both 3DS and Wii U (currently still isn't because price point and fact that 3DSs is still very live on market), and that basicly means much better support and with more diverse games buy Nintendo (but also buy 3rd party) than before, no to mention that we could have more than one hevi hitter games like 3D Mario, 3D Zelda and obvious Pokemon.

Other point is that most likely Switch will compatible even with new and more powerful Switch hardware, something similar like PS4 and Pro.