By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch vs Wii - Who will sell more LT?

I'm not sure but I think a lot of people are underestimating the Switch's sale's potential just because of the Wii U's sales.

Around the Network

I love to be wrong. So, I say the Nintendo Switch will sell less than 50 million units.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

The Switch has an advantage over Wii using mobile tech, and will get HW refreshes like typical Nintendo handhelds to keep its market presence strong..We will see dockless Switch "Lite" (no joycons, resembles vita, dock sold separate with controller) New Switch, etc. So worst case scenario for Switch is just past 3DS or 75 mil, and best IMO is above Wii / OG gameboy total.

iNathan said:

Wii died off pretty quickly after the first insane years

?

The Wii was the best selling console for the first four years of it's life. 

For context, year 5 was better than any year XBone has had to date. Year 6 beat any year the Wii U had. (not hard obviously) 

I feel like the Wii has a reputation for being a flash in the pan, but 20 million people came back for Wii Fit Plus. 30 million came back for Wii Sports Resort.

It had a longer life than people seem to remember. 

It depends. If Nintendo stops supporting the 3DS within the next year or two and makes the Switch the sole home for Pokemon, I could see 100M as a distinct possibility. They really need to double down on this hybrid concept: a system that's both a home console and a high-end portable, combining all of Nintendo's franchises into a single platform. Improving the Switch's battery life will also help with that.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Around the Network

They will pass the 50 million mark for sure. But 100 million will be difficult. I guess we will see some revisions until then...

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

specialk said:
iNathan said:

?

For context, year 5 was better than any year XBone has had to date. Year 6 beat any year the Wii U had. (not hard obviously) 

I feel like the Wii has a reputation for being a flash in the pan, but 20 million people came back for Wii Fit Plus. 30 million came back for Wii Sports Resort.

2006: 2,954,781

2007: 16,553,289

2008: 24,188,263

2009: 21,295,417

2010: 17,320,956

2011: 11,522,685

2012: 5,082,024

2013: 1,947,850

2014: 515,969

Wii slowed down in 2011 but still had good sales, it wasn't until 2012 when it collapsed. For some strange reason people think the Wii died after 2009.

specialk said:
iNathan said:

?

I was still playing on my Wii occasionaly in 2012/13, when even though the Wii U was out, I never knew it existed at the time.

se7en7thre3 said:
The Switch has an advantage over Wii using mobile tech, and will get HW refreshes like typical Nintendo handhelds to keep its market presence strong..We will see dockless Switch "Lite" (no joycons, resembles vita, dock sold separate with controller) New Switch, etc. So worst case scenario for Switch is just past 3DS or 75 mil, and best IMO is above Wii / OG gameboy total.

I agree, this is a big difference. There will be lots of different Switch models and IMO not just cosmetic differences. I think Nintendo will have different classes of Switch hardware as time goes on. As such they could have more repeat buyers. It's simply good business. 

Though I don't think everything should be compared to Wii. Switch is a very different system, why is Wii always held as the gold standard? It's not even one of the three best selling platforms, and DS destroyed it in sales too, but aside from that there are obviously huge demographic/product differences too. 

Switch will succeed on its own merits relevant to today's market (which is radically different from 2006), not by looking backwards. 

Switch will sell more than Wii.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments