By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - 10th - 16th April 2017

Switch doing great in Japan, no surprises here

And it will only get better from here with MK and Splatoon

Man, Nier is just a beast. Great sales

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

As long as there's a 2 week gap between the two it would've been fine. The whole "can't release big games together" has rarely been proven to be true. If you look at the DS it would rife with moments with 2-3 sometimes even 4 huge releases within weeks of each other which would feed off each other and everything would benefit. You get more people buying the hardware, then they buy more software, rinse and repeat. A rising tide lifts all boats. 3DS also had one of its most prosperous windows when Mario 3D Land, Monster Hunter 3G, and Mario Kart 7 all launched within several weeks of each other. 

True, this has actually been Nintendo's tactics during the DS and Wii days: Release multiple big games close to each other to generate demand and create excitement for the platform. 

OT: Great Switch sales, even during this slow time of the year with everything else down. The Vita is dropping quickly now, but it had a really good run. I wonder how much the Switch will sell during Mario Kart week. 

RolStoppable said:
radishhead said:
Excellent Switch performance. How many weeks until we can say the "new console honeymoon period" has worn off?

You can already say that now. Wii U sold 15k in the comparable week and was dropping further in the coming weeks.

"The first week the Switch drops below 20k" would've been the right answer :p

Louie said:
Soundwave said:

As long as there's a 2 week gap between the two it would've been fine. The whole "can't release big games together" has rarely been proven to be true. If you look at the DS it would rife with moments with 2-3 sometimes even 4 huge releases within weeks of each other which would feed off each other and everything would benefit. You get more people buying the hardware, then they buy more software, rinse and repeat. A rising tide lifts all boats. 3DS also had one of its most prosperous windows when Mario 3D Land, Monster Hunter 3G, and Mario Kart 7 all launched within several weeks of each other. 

True, this has actually been Nintendo's tactics during the DS and Wii days: Release multiple big games close to each other to generate demand and create excitement for the platform. 

OT: Great Switch sales, even during this slow time of the year with everything else down. The Vita is dropping quickly now, but it had a really good run. I wonder how much the Switch will sell during Mario Kart week. 

Yup, DS really went "supernova" when Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing, and Brain Training 2 were all launched like within about 6 weeks of each other. After that DS sales started topping 100k a week in Japan regularily (unbelievable to think about today). 

Once Splatoon 2 releases, it will be over. Switch domination, baby.

Hi

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Louie said:

Yup, DS really went "supernova" when Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing, and Brain Training 2 were all launched like within about 6 weeks of each other. After that DS sales started topping 100k a week in Japan regularily (unbelievable to think about today). 

Yeah, when people sales "great 3DS / Vita / PS4 / etc." sales I think back to 2006-2008 when the DS would sometimes casually jump above the 200k mark once Nintendo shipped enough units in a week. When New Super Mario Bros. was released it did around 300k. Sales were going up and down like crazy depending on shipments (it would do 100k one week and then 175k the next, without any notable software released). 

Soundwave said:

Japan = Switch country.

Look it's already spanking the PS4 there like nobody's business.

Square-Enix is making a mistake by not having DQXI for Switch with the other two versions, especially this summer with Splatoon 2 coming. 

Well Nintendo fans can still look forward for the 3DS version. I think an early Switch version would probably eat into the 3DS sales, so thats why they pushed it back. Still, if the Switch manages to take off, a late port could still bring in 2 million extra copies for the game in Japan.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

200k for Horizon and 300k for Nier. Awesomesauce!!!

Great for Zelda and Switch. July and June would be very interesting.

Although slow month up until June with the exception of Switch of course.

KLXVER said:
Why is the 3DS still going strong?

It just had a meaningful Monster Hunter game release on it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

RolStoppable said:
TheWPCTraveler said:

I am assuming the worst case scenario. Though, what other games are there? I doubt people are just magically picking up the Koei Tecmo re-releases, and D5 Complete isn't the kind of game to light even the back 30 on fire.

Also, last week was the week of the Nintendo Direct, so that may have had an impact as well.

Dragon Quest Heroes I+II and Puyo Puyo Tetris have done decently.

Do we have updated sales for DQ Heroes? Because the initial weeks didn't suggest any type of success.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.