By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Edition Metascore Prediction - 92 Meta and 92,32% GR

Can we close off the reviews right now before Jim Sterling gets his hands on it? :D

I'd actually be right in my prediction for once at 93, but I fear it may start dropping soon lol... at least I predicted IGN's 9.3! O_o

Around the Network

Man, I should really be more optimistic with Nintendo games' Metascores from now on. I thought Deluxe was going to get something between 85 and 88.

I mean, let's see, what does the game have that the Wii U version doesn't? A few more characters and tracks, and improved Battle Mode, a pink turbo... But the gameplay and the overall structure are pretty much the same.

I don't get it, but good for the game and the console.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

etking said:
Switch reviews seem to be biased / influenced by free consoles and bribery.
BotW already did get inflated scores which in no way reflected the game's major flaws or player opinions.

And increasing the score of a 3 year old 88 Wii-U game to 93 for no reason points towards unfair and biased reviews. The new Battle mode alone, despite being the heart and soul of every Mario Kart game, cannot be the explanation.

So reviewers have to buy playstation and Xbox consoles?

BraLoD said:
Anfebious said:

The key element was the addition of a proper battle mode. The one it had on the Wii U version sucked balls!

Even so, they aren't taking any points as its the usual.
I guess being a handheld with this kind of games will weight very well for Switch critics, they usually have lower patterns because handheld games are more simplified, so now they will be dropping quite a lot of really high scores for such games.

I'm sensing the Switch games will be completely out of touch with any console/handheld patterns, it's quite unpredictable.

Indeed, unpredictable is the word I would use.

But I doubt the higher scores are because of more "simplified" games.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

RolStoppable said:
Metallox said:
Man, I should really be more optimistic with Nintendo games' Metascores from now on. I thought Deluxe was going to get something between 85 and 88.

I mean, let's see, what does the game have that the Wii U version doesn't? A few more characters and tracks, and improved Battle Mode, a pink turbo... But the gameplay and the overall structure are pretty much the same.

What does this mean?

I don't remember seeing pink, but basically they added to that speed boost (turbo) from drifting; it now has blue, yellow, and then purple depending on how long you drift for, providing an additional speed boost.

I don't know about pink... maybe it's unique to some characters?

Around the Network
etking said:
BotW already did get inflated scores which in no way reflected the game's major flaws or player opinions.

And increasing the score of a 3 year old 88 Wii-U game to 93 for no reason points towards unfair and biased reviews. The new Battle mode alone, despite being the heart and soul of every Mario Kart game, cannot be the explanation.

Better battle mode and ability to play anywhere on the planet are fantastic new features IMO.

And people acknowledge that BotW has issues. Namely framerate in some areas. It's the best game I've played in 10 years though.

RolStoppable said:
Metallox said:

What does this mean?

There's a third turbo now, apparently. Blue, orange/yellow and now pink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8FrKn18M8o

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

etking said:

I don't see why it seems so unusual to you...

It released as a great game to a score of 88 a few years ago. Now, it releases with the resolution bumped up to 1080p with no framerate issues, is available to play in portable mode, includes all of the DLC that was released over time for the previous game, and fixed the most glaring hole in the original release by actually providing a few new game modes and maps for the battle system.

Why does this clearly superior version scoring a few extra points higher necessitate a conspiracy in your mind?

etking said:

Yeah, that explains 1,2 Switch perfect scores...

The only main criticism that the original game had was the lack of battle mode, and this game solves it. Also, this game includes all the DLC (free and paid) content (DLCs that scored in the 90s), new characters and some minor improvements, while portable mode seems pretty impressive. Moreover, remasters of recent games tend to score similarly than the original game (The Last of Us Remastered mantained the same score (95) with no significant changes, Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's cut improved one point on PC (PS3/X360 versions didn't have meta score), so It's completely explainable. 

I expected a metacritic of 90, and it will probably end up with 91-92 points, it's not something so strange that has to be explained by bribery...

BraLoD said:
Anfebious said:

The key element was the addition of a proper battle mode. The one it had on the Wii U version sucked balls!

Even so, they aren't taking any points as its the usual.
I guess being a handheld with this kind of games will weight very well for Switch critics, they usually have lower patterns because handheld games are more simplified, so now they will be dropping quite a lot of really high scores for such games.

I'm sensing the Switch games will be completely out of touch with any console/handheld patterns, it's quite unpredictable.

Its not only the battle mode.When MK 8 were last reviewed, the game didnt have the DLc content and the enhancements that the game received over time(like the 200 cc mode).The jump in quality is much higher than a normal port of this sort usually gets.And if you add portability in top of that, you get this score that is considerably higher than the original game.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1