By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch destroys Nintendo sales record in US 906k

Soundwave said:
naruball said:

Agreed with the bolded, not so much with the rest. It remains to be seen how many core gamers are interested in Nintendo ips.

I think core gamers are attracted to this concept in general. 

This is high end "real console games" anywhere, anytime ... on the airplane, on your nightstand, etc. etc. That sounds simple but when you experience it really is a "oh this is pretty cool" moment. 

That's the funny thing about this Nintendo system .... the "gimmick" aspect of the system really appeals actually to core gamers IMO. This is a device you got to have if you really love games because it lets you play even the highest end games, and not just those simpler or watered down 3DS or even Vita experiences, but the big boy games like Zelda on the go. 

Agreed that Nintendo is going to need to keep AAA games coming out for it. The good thing with good early sales is maybe they can get some help from third parties at long last too. I'm not expecting anywhere near Sony/MS levels of support, but better than 3DS might actually be achievable for example.

Exactly. For all its oddness, the Switch is actually highly conventional in its cornerstone design principles. The bedrock of the whole thing can really be boiled down to one word that built the console empire: convenience. It plays games off the physical media so you don't have to fiddle with installs, it has a snappy OS that gets you right into the games with no fluff, it wakes up from sleep almost instantly, and it can be taken with you anywhere very easily. in that ideological way, the Switch is the most console-ish console of the big three offerings. And if you pause to think about it, the appeal is not too shocking because the convenience factor was a major, major pillar of consoles' success for generations. So for a lot of gamers, I think the game-centric convenience of the system's overall design and portability speaks to them quite strongly. Obviously they need to keep games coming, but I think the concept resonates very well.

One thing that will be interesting with third parties is to see if the Switch gets a lot of incidental exclusives.  Shin Megami Tensei and No More Heroes and Octopath Traveler have already shown up as such so I am curious to see what others will show up as timed or permanent exclusives from third parties that Nintendo doesn't own.  Monster Hunter, Layton, Yokai-Watch, Etrian (assuming that franchise even survives), etc etc.  A lot of that is mid-teir stuff but it would expand the library and create a distinct appeal to the Switch.  Nintendo's handheld allies as well as Vita devs could be very valuable 3rd parties on Switch.

Around the Network

Considering those numbers are US alone just for March I'm going to have a guesstimate that by the end of April Switch will be between 3-4m WW sold meaning it would have outperformed the Wii U's first 12 months in 2 months.

ICStats said:
VGPolyglot said:

Wow, a game with an attach rate that's over 100%!

More likely, this is just reflecting an error in one of the counts.  NPD extrapolates data from a portion of stores, and a difference of 2.1% here is well within the error margin.

Possible. But are we going pick and choose when to believe? If so, what metric will we use as a credible sales source?

Great sales, should be well above the 2m target for march worldwide. After the Wii U we finally have a Nintendo console that appeals to the mass market again and not just the die-hard Nintendo fans. Let's see how Nintendo handles this. Things are looking good!

Soundwave said:

Zelda having a greater than 100% tie ratio (lol) shows that the system is appealing to really core gamers IMO.

Nintendo should not forget that, and they should in fact double down on that and market heavier to that audience like they have been.

You don't need a Wii Sports or Brain Training to have great sales, the reason is Switch has functionality the PS4/XB1 simply can't have that is easily understood by everyone. So Nintendo doesn't need to bend over backwards and try so hard to manufacture a completely different audience from their rear end. The Switch is unique by the simple virtue of its design, nothing else is needed. 

Disagree, Zelda BotW is type of that's actually appealing to much wider audience than just core gamers, I saw very positive reactions about Zelda BotW from casuals gamers also, and that's biggest strength of Zelda BotW, it's appealing to very wide audience than just core gamers.

It's obvious that Nintendo targeting all audience, not just really core gamers, Switch looks like mass market product like Wii was, not just really core gamers audience.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

Zelda having a greater than 100% tie ratio (lol) shows that the system is appealing to really core gamers IMO.

Nintendo should not forget that, and they should in fact double down on that and market heavier to that audience like they have been.

You don't need a Wii Sports or Brain Training to have great sales, the reason is Switch has functionality the PS4/XB1 simply can't have that is easily understood by everyone. So Nintendo doesn't need to bend over backwards and try so hard to manufacture a completely different audience from their rear end. The Switch is unique by the simple virtue of its design, nothing else is needed. 

Zelda BotW is type of that's actually appealing to much wider audience than just core gamers, I saw very positive reaction about Zelda BotW from casuals gamers also, and that's biggest strength of Zelda BotW, it's appealing to very wide audience than just core gamers.

It's obvious that Nintendo targeting all audience, not just really core gamers.

Eh what "casual gamers" are you talking about? lol. This is not a casual game at all, it's probably the hardest game Nintendo has maybe made out of any of its big mainstream games. 

This game kicks your fucking ass, I've died probably a hundred times and I'm a reasonably skilled gamer, a novice or true casual would get fucking raped by this game, lol. It lets go of the Nintendo "hand holding" and just lets it be ... and it's wonderful. It breathes new life into the franchise, you can tell the developers just said "fuck it, we're making this how we're making it and if it's too hard for some people, too bad". 

Zelda has buzz sure, I'm getting a lot of people coming up to me and asking about, but they are Playstation and XBox fans. Which is honestly a huge compliment to Nintendo .... it shows that people who know games are recognizing this is a special game, and also Nintendo is fucking killing it with the marketing. 

NFL Superbowl ads, NCAA Final Four, WWE, man they are marketing on par with Sony and the commercials are damn good too. Grown ass men using the system, cool music, cool vibe, a total 360 from the shit marketing they've had for the better part of the last 10 years really. This ain't "little 7-year-old Johnny's Nintendo, isn't it cute" type thing. Kudos to Nintendo for finally getting marketing right. I saw a Switch trailer before Logan -- LOGAN. An R-rated movie. I had to blink to make sure I wasn't dreaming. 

Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

Disagree, Zelda BotW is type of that's actually appealing to much wider audience than just core gamers, I saw very positive reactions about Zelda BotW from casuals gamers also, and that's biggest strength of Zelda BotW, it's appealing to very wide audience than just core gamers.

It's obvious that Nintendo targeting all audience, not just really core gamers, Switch looks like mass market product like Wii was, not just really core gamers audience.

As good as Zelda is, my mom, wife, or sisters (all Wii gamers) will NEVER touch it. They would, however, play Nintendogs, Tetris Attack, Wii Sports, Just Dance, Peggle, Mario Kart, Nintenoland, etc.

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

Zelda BotW is type of that's actually appealing to much wider audience than just core gamers, I saw very positive reaction about Zelda BotW from casuals gamers also, and that's biggest strength of Zelda BotW, it's appealing to very wide audience than just core gamers.

It's obvious that Nintendo targeting all audience, not just really core gamers.

Eh what "casual gamers" are you talking about? lol. This is not a casual game at all, it's probably the hardest game Nintendo has maybe made out of any of its big mainstream games. 

This game kicks your fucking ass, I've died probably a hundred times and I'm a reasonably skilled gamer, a novice or true casual would get fucking raped by this game, lol. 

Zelda has buzz sure, I'm getting a lot of people coming up to me and asking about, but they are Playstation and XBox fans. Which is honestly a huge compliment to Nintendo .... it shows that people who know games are recognizing this is a special game, and also Nintendo is fucking killing it with the marketing. 

NFL Superbowl ads, NCAA Final Four, WWE, man they are marketing on par with Sony and the commercials are damn good too. Grown ass men using the system, cool music, cool vibe, a total 360 from the shit marketing they've had for the better part of the last 10 years really. 

Its not only about "casual gamers". It not harder than Metroid, and that's really doesn't matter because Zelda BotW is game thats very easy to take and play, because of open world nature of game, you dont need to do quests you can do whatever you want in game.

So yes, Zelda BotW is not only for relly core gamers, for instance my 6 year old son loves it.

I'm very glad to see that. I wonder how is performing in Europe..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

d21lewis said:
Miyamotoo said:

As good as Zelda is, my mom, wife, or sisters (all Wii gamers) will NEVER touch it. They would, however, play Nintendogs, Tetris Attack, Wii Sports, Just Dance, Peggle, Mario Kart, Nintenoland, etc.

Zelda is probably the most unforgiving EAD title I can recall playing. This game will bend over even expierienced and make you cry daddy before its over. It ain't for "mommy who got 2nd that one time in Mario Kart, yippie! She's playing the video games!" types. And that's FINE, guys. OK. 

I almost in a way can't believe Nintendo's designers had the balls to make this game. 

There's a ton of stuff in the game like cooking that doesn't even have the typical "oh ok, it's a Nintendo game, now lets have a cute 2 minute speech on how to do everything just right" ..., half the stuff in this game I'm looking on the internet and going "I didn't know you could do that, holy shit".