By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch destroys Nintendo sales record in US 906k

d21lewis said:

Okay. A game where a random enemy will one shot you and kill you. Fun and relaxing.

It's not like GTA where there's a thousand things to do besides the story. This is Zelda. You have to be a decent gamer to even get off of the Great Plateau to even get to the exploration. 

Except most dangerous enemies can be easily avoided and many casual gamers are decent, these aren't mindless fools playing the game they're people who have been gaming for a while only difference is they play a few times a week or month.

The exploration and mechanics alone in BOTW can have a player messing around and having fun for hours, the are a tone of things to do in the game.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
Soundwave said:

So which of these three do you think wins:

N64: Super Mario 64, Zelda: Oot, Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX, GoldenEye, Dragon Quest VII, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Wave Race 64, Star Wars games, Kobe Bryant NBA, Ken Griffey MLB, etc. exclusive

Versus Crash, Spyro, Gran Turismo, and Twisted Metal (Wipeout wasn't even exclusive to PSX as is, N64 got a version of that one, not that it mattered because F-Zero X is the better game), Toshinden, Jumping Flash, NFL Game Day, PaRappa. 

I like those odds for Nintendo, I would take that any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Sony would've been screwed IMO. Gran Turismo is the only one on that list that really kinda would worry me, but everything else Nintendo matches up very well. Having CD would've ensured the N64 a steady flow of games too, so all those Resident Evil and Metal Gear and Colony Wars and sports games ... sorry Sony, those are all on Nintendo 64 now too, you gotta share those. No 4-5 month droughts for the N64 to capitalize on, you'd have to fight fair like the SNES/Genesis did against each other in sharing most multiplats. 

Any day I would choose the PS list thank you, at least they where fresh in comparison to the vast majority of 3 gen old franchises Nintendo wasoffering

Should have, could have, doesnt matter... the fact is that the N64 was destroyed by the PS. It lost Nintendo all of their influence on the home console market and prepared the disaster that was later on the GC and even later on the WiiU. It was the first system that prooved it that others can easily beat Nintendo at their own game. Like it or not, the PS had the far superior offering in terms of games, and denying that is like denying basic math. Just because you were the outsider it doesnt mean that your opinion hodls any extra weight.

Also, IMO, Wipeout >>>> F-Zero. The fact that F-Zero is the dead franchise that nobody touches anymore speaks volumes.

What. The. Hell? Why is this here?

Miyamotoo said:
d21lewis said:

Okay. A game where a random enemy will one shot you and kill you. Fun and relaxing.

It's not like GTA where there's a thousand things to do besides the story. This is Zelda. You have to be a decent gamer to even get off of the Great Plateau to even get to the exploration. 

Yes, and random enemies that you can kill buy one hit.

Did you actually play this game? Because this is actually game that you have thousand things to do despite story.

I beat it. Bought it day one. Best game, ever. Anyway , name a few of those things. Please. Name those things that a casual gamer will find.

Taking pictures? Riding horses? Bowling with snowballs? How long did it take you to do anything beyond combat and shrines and climbing a tower?

Zelda isn't a simple game. Yes you can avoid enemies I guess ... for a while, and even then you have to get by by the skin of your teeth. It's a survival game.

It uses virtually every button on the Switch dual analog controller too, and none of the buttons are really trivial too, you better be able to for example use dual analog or you're not getting anywhere in this game. You need to be able to cycle through various menus, sometimes pretty much in-game too. This isn't a game you can button mash your way to the end.

If you can play Zelda: BotW and play it well, you can play anything this industry has to offer with minimal learning curve I would say.

But SO WHAT. That's great. Not sure why we should feel "bad" about that. Where are those Wii Sports players today? They're not playing Nintendo. 

I'd bet in 8 years people who were playing Zelda BotW will still be playing and will be Zelda fans. Gimme Zelda, gimme Switch. It's breaking records just fine without the soccer moms. So is PS4. Maybe the traditional industry doesn't need those people? Not that they'd pay anymore than $1 for a game nowadays anyway, so why obsess over them. 

900k in March to me with a 105% (lol) attach rate for a game as difficult as Zelda tells me Nintendo can succeed using a different approach here. Because Switch is portable is can co-exist and even draw upon audiences from Playstation and XBox, a welcome change of pace from Sony/MS stealing Nintendo players as they get older. This didn't work before because Nintendo was making home-only consoles, and really who needs two consoles that are basically exactly the same? Switch though by it's form factor is basically able to break this rule. You can't put your PS4 in your backpack and play it on the train. 

d21lewis said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yes, and random enemies that you can kill buy one hit.

Did you actually play this game? Because this is actually game that you have thousand things to do despite story.

I beat it. Bought it day one. Best game, ever. Anyway , name a few of those things. Please. Name those things that a casual gamer will find.

Taking pictures? Riding horses? Bowling with snowballs? How long did it take you to do anything beyond combat and shrines and climbing a tower?

Cooking, find koroks, exploring huge and waste world, hunting, collecting ingredients, climbing, paragliding, finding NPCs, stables, vilages, beating some shrines, fighting weaker enemies...those are things curently my 6 year old son is doing. And guess what, more you play this game you are better in it, that goes for casual players too, they can later go after stronger enemies or more complicated shrines. Real beauty of this game is freedom and accessibility, people can play like they want and like ever they want, and thats apeling even for casuals gamers.

I think you guys use different definitions for what a casual gamer is. Is that possible?

Miyamotoo: "A person who doesn't play a lot of video games."

Soundwave: "A soccer mum, old person or little girl." (slight exaggeration :P)

The Switch doesn't appeal to soccer moms or people in retirement homes. It does, however, appeal to other casual gamers: Mid 40's people who played games in the past but stopped gaming, young women (who are indeed capable of playing a hard game), young men who work full time and only game a few hours per week, etc.

I think it's a misconception that casual gamers can't play hard games (I agree the elderly people or mothers with no gaming experience will have a hard time). For most people out there the question is "are games worth my time? Are they exciting enough for me to put my time into them, even though I work full time and / or have a family?"

The term "casual gamers" as we often use it today ("people who are too stupid to play a real game and only want Brain Training") was used by viral marketers during the 7th generation to put an end to the Wii/DS success and to make fun of the system's audience. It was used as an insult, basically.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
d21lewis said:

Except most dangerous enemies can be easily avoided and many casual gamers are decent, these aren't mindless fools playing the game they're people who have been gaming for a while only difference is they play a few times a week or month.

The exploration and mechanics alone in BOTW can have a player messing around and having fun for hours, the are a tone of things to do in the game.

Wyrdness said:
d21lewis said:

Three hearts. Low stamina. Great Plateau.

This is the hardest Zelda, ever. Nintendo said it themselves. Excellent game. I loved it but Zelda is not a casual franchise. It never has been. It's for hardcore gamers. Super Mario Odyssey (and Mario Kart) will fit the casual bill but Zelda is the real deal. 

I have no idea how to delete multi-quotes. 😢

Tremendous.

Louie said:
I think you guys use different definitions for what a casual gamer is. Is that possible?

Miyamotoo: "A person who doesn't play a lot of video games."

Soundwave: "A soccer mum, old person or little girl." (slight exaggeration :P)

The Switch doesn't appeal to soccer moms or people in retirement homes. It does, however, appeal to other casual gamers: Mid 40's people who played games in the past but stopped gaming, young women (who are indeed capable of playing a hard game), young men who work full time and only game a few hours per week, etc.

I think it's a misconception that casual gamers can't play hard games (I agree the elderly people or mothers with no gaming experience will have a hard time). For most people out there the question is "are games worth my time? Are they exciting enough for me to put my time into them, even though I work full time and / or have a family?"

The term "casual gamers" as we often use it today ("people who are too stupid to play a real game and only want Brain Training") was used by viral marketers during the 7th generation to put an end to the Wii/DS success and to make fun of the system's audience. It was used as an insult, basically.

That isn't even Nintendo's definition of casual. Who even cares about the Wii era? Oh boo hoo someone made fun of the Wii .... EIGHT YEARS AGO, lol. I don't even understand as a Nintendo fan why Nintendo fans get upset about that. Hey look at me "Kinect was kinda lame ... stupid even. Eye Toy is dumb dumbs". Is there an XBox or Sony fan running to assault with a barrage of points to show how wrong I am? 

*waits five seconds*

Nope.

Let it go, let it go, guys. Who cares if the Wii got made fun of, honestly it probably had it coming, one does look like a bit of a dork playing it. And some of the things like Miyamoto pretending to play a music game that actually didn't really track anything you were doing or fat mom's thinking a balance board was going to give them rock hard abs, or people ignoring their real life dog to go play with their virtual Nintendog were all now at least a little cringe-worthy. Why get so defensive over it? 

Switch is here and it's doing things it's own way, Wii is the past and by now the distant past. If anything Nintendo fans should be proud of the Switch because it's broken a lot of so-called stigma's even Nintendo fans bought into -- namely that Nintendo can't compete with Sony and MS using that similar type of marketing and can't make a "modern" style of blockbuster game that speaks to modern audiences and should instead retreat like a dog with its tail between its leg searching out some distant blue ocean fad instead. 

Turns out they can compete, they just had to execute properly. 

Soundwave said:
Louie said:

That isn't even Nintendo's definition of casual. Who even cares about the Wii era? Oh boo hoo someone made fun of the Wii .... EIGHT YEARS AGO, lol. I don't even understand as a Nintendo fan why Nintendo fans get upset about that. Hey look at me "Kinect was kinda lame ... stupid even. Eye Toy is dumb dumbs". Is there an XBox or Sony fan running to assault with a barrage of points to show how wrong I am? 

*waits five seconds*

Nope.

Let it go, let it go, guys. Who cares if the Wii got made fun of, honestly it probably had it coming, one does look like a bit of a dork playing it. Why get so defensive over it? 

Switch is here and it's doing things it's own way, Wii is the past and by now the distant past. If anything Nintendo fans should be proud of the Switch because it's broken a lot of so-called stigma's even Nintendo fans bought into -- namely that Nintendo can't compete with Sony and MS using that similar type of marketing and making those style of games and instead needed to retreat to some far nether world of gaming to try and find other players. 

Turns out they can, they just had to execute properly. 

This seems to be an emotional topic :P Not sure how you interpreted my post that way. I just pointed out that you guys seem to talk about two different things - you might even agree with each other! 

No reason for "boo hoo" and drama :D