By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch destroys Nintendo sales record in US 906k

d21lewis said:
Miyamotoo said:

Disagree, Zelda BotW is type of that's actually appealing to much wider audience than just core gamers, I saw very positive reactions about Zelda BotW from casuals gamers also, and that's biggest strength of Zelda BotW, it's appealing to very wide audience than just core gamers.

It's obvious that Nintendo targeting all audience, not just really core gamers, Switch looks like mass market product like Wii was, not just really core gamers audience.

As good as Zelda is, my mom, wife, or sisters (all Wii gamers) will NEVER touch it. They would, however, play Nintendogs, Tetris Attack, Wii Sports, Just Dance, Peggle, Mario Kart, Nintenoland, etc.

It not Wii Sports of course, but some mobile gamers or kids would definitely played it, my 6 years old son loves it.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Miyamotoo said:

Disagree, Zelda BotW is type of that's actually appealing to much wider audience than just core gamers, I saw very positive reactions about Zelda BotW from casuals gamers also, and that's biggest strength of Zelda BotW, it's appealing to very wide audience than just core gamers.

It's obvious that Nintendo targeting all audience, not just really core gamers, Switch looks like mass market product like Wii was, not just really core gamers audience.

As good as Zelda is, my mom, wife, or sisters (all Wii gamers) will NEVER touch it. They would, however, play Nintendogs, Tetris Attack, Wii Sports, Just Dance, Peggle, Mario Kart, Nintenoland, etc.

Doesn't really debunk what he said as a lot of casuals play Zelda, a casual gamer is a gamer who plays games every so often just to relax and BOTW is suited to them as it has a GTA open world style approach where players can just mess around in the sand box and not do anything else while having fun.

Soundwave said:
d21lewis said:

Zelda is probably the most unforgiving EAD title I can recall playing. This game will bend over even expierienced and make you cry daddy before its over. It ain't for "mommy who got 2nd that one time in Mario Kart, yippie! She's playing the video games!" types. And that's FINE, guys. OK. Think past the Wii for a second.

I almost in a way can't believe Nintendo's designers had the balls to make this game. 

Same here. At first, even I was put off by it. Not because of difficulty but by how much things had changed. Life you said, it took balls. And those risky balls paid off.

Miyamotoo said:
d21lewis said:

It not Wii Sports of course, but some mobile gamers or kids would definitely played it, my 6 years old son loves it.

If your 6 year old can play this and is actually good at it ... bravo. Kid is going to rip apart other games like a hot knife slicing through butter. 

Soundwave said:
d21lewis said:

Zelda is probably the most unforgiving EAD title I can recall playing. This game will bend over even expierienced and make you cry daddy before its over. It ain't for "mommy who got 2nd that one time in Mario Kart, yippie! She's playing the video games!" types. And that's FINE, guys. OK. 

I almost in a way can't believe Nintendo's designers had the balls to make this game. 

There's a ton of stuff in the game like cooking that doesn't even have the typical "oh ok, it's a Nintendo game, now lets have a cute 2 minute speech on how to do everything just right" ..., half the stuff in this game I'm looking on the internet and going "I didn't know you could do that, holy shit". 

Difrence is that Zelda BotW is game thats very easy to take and play, because of open world nature of game, you dont need to do quests you can do whatever you want in game, this game can be easily played buy casuals and kids.

So yes, Zelda BotW is not only for relly core gamers, for instance my 6 year old son loves it.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Soundwave said:

Zelda is probably the most unforgiving EAD title I can recall playing. This game will bend over even expierienced and make you cry daddy before its over. It ain't for "mommy who got 2nd that one time in Mario Kart, yippie! She's playing the video games!" types. And that's FINE, guys. OK. Think past the Wii for a second.

Same here. At first, even I was put off by it. Not because of difficulty but by how much things had changed. Life you said, it took balls. And those risky balls paid off.

Yeah seriously I mean that moment in Zelda: BotW where you're blinking at the TV and saying "I can't die ... you can't kill me ... you can't do that! That's not allowed!". 

Like when you encounter a random giant enemey that's way too powerful for you, in older Nintendo games, you never would be able to encounter that until your character was of course properly powered up where beating him was fairly easy. In Zelda, there's enemies that just walk up to you and go "boom, you're dead goodnight". 

It's really jarring, but hillariously fulfilling on some level because you're like "oh hell yes, you wanna play rough, lets play". 

In Nintendo games generally you are some super powered character and all the bad guys in the world are hillariously overmatched by you, in Zelda, the world is harsh and trying to kill you every 5 seconds ... like real nature. 

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

If your 6 year old can play this and is actually good at it ... bravo. Kid is going to rip apart other games like a hot knife slicing through butter. 

Not true, this game is easy to play because he can do whatever he wants, he doesnt need to do quests, fight against bosses and guardians, he can just go through the world doing lots a difrent things and take out weaker enemies.

Wyrdness said:
d21lewis said:

Doesn't really debunk what he said as a lot of casuals play Zelda, a casual gamer is a gamer who plays games every so often just to relax and BOTW is suited to them as it has a GTA open world style approach where players can just mess around in the sand box and not do anything else while having fun.

Okay. A game where a random enemy will one shot you and kill you. Fun and relaxing.

It's not like GTA where there's a thousand things to do besides the story. This is Zelda. You have to be a decent gamer to even get off of the Great Plateau to even get to the exploration. 

Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

Not true, this game is easy to play because he can do whatever he wants, he doesnt need to do quests, fight against bosses and guardians, he can just go through the world doing lots a difrent things and take out weaker enemies.

If you can take out regular enemies in this game, you can play anything from Nintendo probably fairly easily. 

Even standard enemey encounters in this game are fairly harrowing and can get tough quite quickly. There have been multiple moments in this game where I went "you can't do that! This is a Nintendo game! That's not fair!", lol. This game don't give two shits abou what's fair, every enemey in this game legitimately wants to kill you. The freaking weather wants to kill you, lol. 

And legitimately they can too if they catch you unaware or weakned or with a weapon that shatters. It's crazy. Kudos to Nintendo for having the balls to make this game. 

It goes against a lot of Nintendo design principals. 

d21lewis said:
Wyrdness said:

Okay. A game where a random enemy will one shot you and kill you. Fun and relaxing.

It's not like GTA where there's a thousand things to do besides the story. This is Zelda. You have to be a decent gamer to even get off of the Great Plateau to even get to the exploration. 

Yes, and random enemies that you can kill buy one hit.

Did you actually play this game? Because this is actually game that you have thousand things to do despite story.