By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch destroys Nintendo sales record in US 906k

Nuvendil said:
spemanig said:
Mario Kart will carry the momentum. Then Arms. Then Splatoon 2.

They need an Arms direct before launch, though. Likely in late May/early June before E3.

Why not bring the hype for Arms and Splatoon 2 at E3 itself?  Amrs launches like the next day and Splatoon a few weeks later.  That way the excitement can translate more immediately to purchases.  Sort of an impulse thing.

I don't think they should waste E3 time on a game that will come out days later. The marketing should be well done by then, and reviewers will likely already have the game. The review embargo for that game will be a nightmare if it isn't before E3 or the same day as release.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Nuvendil said:

Why not bring the hype for Arms and Splatoon 2 at E3 itself?  Amrs launches like the next day and Splatoon a few weeks later.  That way the excitement can translate more immediately to purchases.  Sort of an impulse thing.

I don't think they should waste E3 time on a game that will come out days later. The marketing should be well done by then, and reviewers will likely already have the game. The review embargo for that game will be a nightmare if it isn't before E3 or the same day as release.

I imagine they will have the embargo a few days before E3 and use a combined strategy of advertising, trailer releases, and an E3 presentation (where they can boast about accolades if applicable) to push sales.  They may have a direct, but I imagine they won't.   I think they will want to emphasize the quantity of exclusives Switch has coming this year and also emphasize the fact that unlike most people who show up at E3, they will be releasing major games shown immediately, not 3 months or more later.

E3 and stuff doesn't matter. They're going to have a good E3, no question, just show Mario Odyessy and Xenoblade 2 and Smash Brothers ... bingo bango bongo, happy Nintendo fans at E3. No big deal. If they can show Pokemon Stars that would just be the icing on the cake.

Marketing at events like the NBA Finals on TV is more important. Having trailers for Switch before movies like Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Fast 8 is important. E3 doesn't sell systems IMO. 

EDIT: wrong thread lulz

Nuvendil said:
spemanig said:
Mario Kart will carry the momentum. Then Arms. Then Splatoon 2.

They need an Arms direct before launch, though. Likely in late May/early June before E3.

I can see something like the Smash Wii U Invitational Tournament or Mario Maker in the Nintendo World Championships at E3 with ARMS and Splatoon 2.

Around the Network
Green098 said:
Mystro-Sama said:

You mean with Wii U version?

Nope,

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170413006259/en/Nintendo-Switch-Fastest-Selling-Video-Game-System-Nintendo

"The Nintendo Switch system sold more than 906,000 units in March, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States."

"The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game sold over 1.3 million units*. That total includes more than 925,000 units sold for Nintendo Switch and nearly 460,000 units sold for the Wii U console. That means that Nintendo sold more of this game for Nintendo Switch than it sold Nintendo Switch systems, for an attach rate of more than 100 percent. This may be attributed to people who purchased both a limited edition of the game to collect and a second version to play."

That's crazy.

Soundwave said:

Zelda having a greater than 100% tie ratio (lol) shows that the system is appealing to really core gamers IMO.

Nintendo should not forget that, and they should in fact double down on that and market heavier to that audience like they have been.

You don't need a Wii Sports or Brain Training to have great sales, the reason is Switch has functionality the PS4/XB1 simply can't have that is easily understood by everyone. So Nintendo doesn't need to bend over backwards and try so hard to manufacture a completely different audience from their rear end. The Switch is unique by the simple virtue of its design, nothing else is needed. 

Agreed with the bolded, not so much with the rest. It remains to be seen how many core gamers are interested in Nintendo ips.

naruball said:
Soundwave said:

Zelda having a greater than 100% tie ratio (lol) shows that the system is appealing to really core gamers IMO.

Nintendo should not forget that, and they should in fact double down on that and market heavier to that audience like they have been.

You don't need a Wii Sports or Brain Training to have great sales, the reason is Switch has functionality the PS4/XB1 simply can't have that is easily understood by everyone. So Nintendo doesn't need to bend over backwards and try so hard to manufacture a completely different audience from their rear end. The Switch is unique by the simple virtue of its design, nothing else is needed. 

Agreed with the bolded, not so much with the rest. It remains to be seen how many core gamers are interested in Nintendo ips.

I think core gamers are attracted to this concept in general. 

This is high end "real console games" anywhere, anytime ... on the airplane, on your nightstand, etc. etc. That sounds simple but when you experience it really is a "oh this is pretty cool" moment. 

That's the funny thing about this Nintendo system .... the "gimmick" aspect of the system really appeals actually to core gamers IMO. This is a device you got to have if you really love games because it lets you play even the highest end games, and not just those simpler or watered down 3DS or even Vita experiences, but the big boy games like Zelda on the go. 

Agreed that Nintendo is going to need to keep AAA games coming out for it. The good thing with good early sales is maybe they can get some help from third parties at long last too. I'm not expecting anywhere near Sony/MS levels of support, but better than 3DS might actually be achievable for example.

Soundwave said:
naruball said:

I think core gamers are attracted to this concept in general. 

This is high end "real console games" anywhere, anytime ... on the airplane, on your nightstand, etc. etc. That sounds simple but when you experience it really is a "oh this is pretty cool" moment. 

That's the funny thing about this Nintendo system .... the "gimmick" aspect of the system really appeals actually to core gamers IMO. This is a device you got to have if you really love games because it lets you play even the highest end games, and not just those simpler or watered down 3DS or even Vita experiences, but the big boy games like Zelda on the go. 

Agreed that Nintendo is going to need to keep AAA games coming out for it. The good thing with good early sales is maybe they can get some help from third parties at long last too. I'm not expecting anywhere near Sony/MS levels of support, but better than 3DS might actually be achievable for example.

I doubt there is a big market for that. VR is also incredible when you experience it, but I doubt many will buy one.

I think most core gamers and those who play FIfa, Cod and the Ubisoft games are unlikely to be interested in a handheld or the switch. If Ninty doesn't get proper 3rd party support I don't see it becoming the success that these numbers suggest. I guess we'll see.

As for the underlined, I couldn't agree more. Having said that, I can see them supporting it for a year or two, then being disappointed with their sales and then dropping it the same they've done with vita and past Ninty consoles. Some 3rd party games won't do much unless they get full support by the companies I just mentioned. Then again, even if they do, I still think gamers are more likely to play online with their friends, i.e. on PC, Ps4, and XB1.