By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wait, DID Horizon First Week Global Sales Really Outpace BotW's? (PLEASE READ FIRST POST)

Which did you enjoy more?

Breath of the Wild 402 32.74%

Horizon: Zero Dawn 377 30.70%

I haven't played both yet/Unsure 286 23.29%

See Results 163 13.27%

Total:1,228

Well one or two days sales vs a full week, so yeah this thread is pointless right now. Wait for a full month results then we shall no

Around the Network

If the Wii U version was actually around, it would have sold a lot more.

They probably made millions of copies for Switch but only a few hundred thousand for Wii U.

People were concerned they would cancel the Wii U version in favor of Switch. But what Nintendo actually did was screw Wii U owners with a limited number of copies at launch.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Zekkyou said:

While i expect Zelda will end up on top in the end, it's a bit odd that so many in this thread are trying to paint Horizon's initial victory as totally expected when it absolutely was not. Despite the PS4's install-base, only a minority predicted Horizon would sell as well as it has. It was a brand new IP releasing next to the latest entry in a legacy series about to get a push from a brand new console's launch. It was expected to do well, but 1.5m+? Not by many.

It's also worth noting that while install-base is relevant, they can't be compared linearly. 1 million PS4 users is not the same as 1 million WiiU/Switch users, etc. That Zelda also outsold every previous entry in the series, despite the 2nd smallest release install-base, should make the inadequacies of that comparison clear.

Yeah, I agree with that. I think there was a predition thread, and many predicted less. Not surprisingly, new IPs seldom sell this strongly, Horizon did a great feat here.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

vivster said:
Two great games held back by their console overlords to ever reach their full potential.

Agree.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Horizon has a larger install base to sell. Also, while Zelda is a solid seller, it isn't one of Nintendo's biggest franchises in this aspect. The best it usually reaches is 7M and one of the Wii games even was lower than 4M.

A reasonable number of new IPs sell more than that, they just have to be more commercial to do so: The Division, Destiny, etc. I don't get why people are surprised.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

They probably made millions of copies for Switch but only a few hundred thousand for Wii U.

People were concerned they would cancel the Wii U version in favor of Switch. But what Nintendo actually did was screw Wii U owners with a limited number of copies at launch.

Proof/source? Seems dumb to limit how much money you can make, but then again, NES Classic.

Mr Puggsly said:

It's available on Amazon.com, Gamestop.com, all of the Gamestops in my area, all of the best buys in my city (New York), Best Buy.com, and Amazon UK.  And of course, it is available digitally through the eShop.  Doesn't seem to be a shortage.

JWeinCom said:
Mr Puggsly said:

It's available on Amazon.com, Gamestop.com, all of the Gamestops in my area, all of the best buys in my city (New York), Best Buy.com, and Amazon UK.  And of course, it is available digitally through the eShop.  Doesn't seem to be a shortage.

You're looking after the fact. It -was- sold out and quite limited, and now it's been restocked a bit. It sold out at launch for sure, and amazon still says an extra 1-2 days for shipping for some reason. 

Anyway, I think Zelda will leg out. It's constantly high up on big websites whereas horizon has fallen/peaked out a bit. Not to mention horizon got a full week and Zelda 2 days, and limited number of switches (Zelda sold almost 1-1 so can't really go much higher than what the Switch stock allows)

okr said:
Radek said:

That is subjective.

Nope. No matter how many threads people will make about these two games, it's already settled that BotW will go down in games history as a masterpiece, HZD as just a good game.

According to who? You?

Well for me Horizon is a masterpiece, so why is your opinion better than mine?

Why is that even a thing?

Both are successful, which is good, both are great games, which is good, and i even heard it is possible for the same person to play and enjoy both of them for what they are.

Really why should anyone care which one sells better, it doesn't lessen the other game, or does it?

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’