By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wait, DID Horizon First Week Global Sales Really Outpace BotW's? (PLEASE READ FIRST POST)

Which did you enjoy more?

Breath of the Wild 402 32.74%

Horizon: Zero Dawn 377 30.70%

I haven't played both yet/Unsure 286 23.29%

See Results 163 13.27%

Total:1,228
John2290 said:
Nice to see that with that poll some people are looking at breath of the wild as it really is in retrospect. HZD is so much better and much more innovative than BOW, My mate deleted my account of 20 or so hours so he can start his game (Thanks for that Nintendo) and I was a bit upset for a while until I realized I had played over 20 hours and I'm still dragging my way through it, good game, better than skyward sword for sure but it's no where near the hyperbole and 100% scores.

Uh, Horizon is a good game, but what exactly is innovative about it? I'm about 65% through it and so far it's a very safe, by the numbers open world game. You have lots of elements from Ubi games, including towers, plus other games like Bateman detective mode. The only "innovative" thing is GG finally got a good narrative thanks to hiring from Obsidian.

Personally I am waiting for the library to get better to get a Switch, and waiting to get a Switch to play Zelda. I'd have bought it for Wii U easily, probably the same day I bought Horizon, but the Wii U version of Botw was like... non-existent around here for awhile. It's still out physically aeverywhere it seems.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

And that attach rate for the Zelda on the Switch is crazy! Is that one of the highest ever?

It's definitely up there but Super Mario 64 probably holds that record.  When the N64 launched in the US, there were just 2 game available for it: Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64.  No new games were released for 6 weeks after launch.

Nintendo/Reggie already said it beat SM64.

LudicrousSpeed said:
John2290 said:
Nice to see that with that poll some people are looking at breath of the wild as it really is in retrospect. HZD is so much better and much more innovative than BOW, My mate deleted my account of 20 or so hours so he can start his game (Thanks for that Nintendo) and I was a bit upset for a while until I realized I had played over 20 hours and I'm still dragging my way through it, good game, better than skyward sword for sure but it's no where near the hyperbole and 100% scores.

Uh, Horizon is a good game, but what exactly is innovative about it? I'm about 65% through it and so far it's a very safe, by the numbers open world game. You have lots of elements from Ubi games, including towers, plus other games like Bateman detective mode. The only "innovative" thing is GG finally got a good narrative thanks to hiring from Obsidian.

Personally I am waiting for the library to get better to get a Switch, and waiting to get a Switch to play Zelda. I'd have bought it for Wii U easily, probably the same day I bought Horizon, but the Wii U version of Botw was like... non-existent around here for awhile. It's still out physically aeverywhere it seems.

I enjoyed Horizon a lot (not as much as many here, but still a lot), but yeah, "innovative" isn't a word i'd often use to describe Horizon. It's not really trying to innovate either. This is wholly new territory for GG, so it makes sense they'd take the copy-and-refine rout. Now they've found considerable success with Horizon, i'd like to see them take more risks in its inevitable sequel (either direct or spiritual).

SpokenTruth said:
Roar_Of_War said:

Nintendo/Reggie already said it beat SM64.

Probably during the immediate launch but I highly doubt it going over the next few weeks.

First week I think. Yeah, I guess we'll see. Switch has more options than N64 did out of the gate. 

The Switch still has massive supply constraints tho, so that may impact it for a few weeks. If people can't even buy a Switch then the attach rate can probably only get better until Nintendo releases more. 

All that salt here.

Will be even more when horizon reaches 10mill and zelda don't.

User was moderated for this post

-Super_Boom

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

And that attach rate for the Zelda on the Switch is crazy! Is that one of the highest ever?

It's definitely up there but Super Mario 64 probably holds that record.  When the N64 launched in the US, there were just 2 game available for it: Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64.  No new games were released for 6 weeks after launch.

Oh wow I saw someone in here say Nintendo said it already beat Mario 64 so it holds the highest attach rate then! That is amazing for it! I can't wait to get my hands on it when I get my Switch!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Einsam_Delphin said:

Is it really that surprising considering it's an installbase of 55m vs. 15m (13 coming from a dead system). Zelda will most likely out leg it.

I keep seeing people asking this question as if install bases don't exist. Why the sales are being compared is beyond me. If both games were available on platforms with similar install bases, then I would understand why people are even comapring the sales in the first place.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

TheBlackNaruto said:
Wait for a game that A LOT of people in the prediction thread said had no chance against Zelda and said it won't sell more than 2 million lifetime this is amazing for Horizon. Totally did not see it coming personally. So great job to GG and Horizon this game will easily outsell every Killzone game at this rate. I can't see how so many people are saying it is not surprising when it seriously is. Unless nothing just really surprises you all now a day lol.

And that attach rate for the Zelda on the Switch is crazy! Is that one of the highest ever? Both games will have great sells and from what I have seen, read and heard both definitely deserve the sales!

About 3% of PS4 owners have bought Horizon so far. Over 70% of Switch owners have bought BOTW. I don't know the attach rate figures for Wii U, but I bought on Wii U. There are 13 million Wii U owners, about 2 million Switch owners and 55 million PS4 owners. Why would it be surprising if they sold about the same amount? Also, why do people absolutely insist on comparing these 2 games?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

Azuren said:

Color me surprised. I personally enjoyed BotW a lot, but I haven't bothered playing Horizon to find out if one is really better than the other.

Color me surprised. I personally enjoyed HZD a lot, but I haven't bothered playing Zelda to find out if one is really better than the other.

NewGuy said:
If Horizon's numbers are correct, then it'll be a major seller and a major playstation franchise. Its first week numbers are superior to the likes of Uncharted 2 and TLOU. Also better than any of the killzone's games, by far. It will be GG's best selling game ever 3 weeks in, at the latest. It will possibly sell 7+ million WW, which is huge.

Zelda, for all its critical accolades (which I think it ends up being overrated due to nostalgia, but I digress), has never really set the world on fire in the sales departments. That is, no game has ever reached the 8+ million sales (if you count a single sku and not combined re-releases).

It will be very interesting to compare sales numbers of Zelda BotW and Horizon at end of March or April, those numbers of Switch version are just for two days of Switch on market with very limitaed stocks. And yes, this Zelda looks like at least 7m+ seller.