By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wait, DID Horizon First Week Global Sales Really Outpace BotW's? (PLEASE READ FIRST POST)

Which did you enjoy more?

Breath of the Wild 402 32.74%

Horizon: Zero Dawn 377 30.70%

I haven't played both yet/Unsure 286 23.29%

See Results 163 13.27%

Total:1,228
Wiibaron said:
When there are only 1.5 million machines available to play BotW and 85% of those machines' buyers purchase it, that is expected and awesome really. There are 56 million PS4s out there and only 3% of those owners bought Horizon. Not awesome now is it? Kind of sad really.

At half of Zelda (42%, 23.5m first week), Horizon would have been the biggest video game launch in history. At the full rate (47 million first week), it'd be the largest release in any entertainment industry, ever. It'd have generated more revenue in 1 week than Star War 7 generated in total. It'd quite literally be the start of a new age of entertainment; everything from TV, to gaming, to movies, and even books would shift their focus to horizon, and try to replicate its unparalleled success.

If the above situation seems unlikely to you, you'll understand why your comment is silly :p

Around the Network

To those talking about attach rates:

1) Many bought the Switch FOR BotW

2) Many who bought the Switch were confronted with a handful of games, one of which was a AAA that was blowing up in reviews while the others were so underrepresented that I'm still not sure if there's more than three games on Switch right now.

3) First party Nintendo ALWAYS had good attach rate ,as those games are typically the only reason many  buy Nintendo consoles.

4) The Zelda hunger was real.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

There's a lot of factors as to why but I am surprised to see the Wii U sales for BotW be so low. For as big as Zelda is, it's still a title on a brand new console against one on an existing console with a giant userbase. If the Switch keeps selling strongly, we could see Zelda pass HZD at some point, specially if we see Nintendo bundle Zelda with Switch (although I'm not sure how much bundling Nintendo does, Sony certainly love some bundles)

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

xl-klaudkil said:
All that salt here.

Will be even more when horizon reaches 10mill and zelda don't.

Maybe your taking it too far no? You seem like your more making an issue a bigger issue than helping it. That said 10mil aint no easy feat. 

Problem is here that many dont get is HDZ beat many expectations so its great sales and botw is held back by a number. You can only sell what you have.

This reminds me of the MC threads of comparisons to 3ds/wiiu for switch which doesnt make sense atm. Especiallu considering wiiu launch align is above many systems in japan yet is the worse selling console lifetime (after dreamcast)

Around the Network

This 'controversy' is getting really boring.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Neodegenerate said:
Wiibaron said:
When there are only 1.5 million machines available to play BotW and 85% of those machines' buyers purchase it, that is expected and awesome really. There are 56 million PS4s out there and only 3% of those owners bought Horizon. Not awesome now is it? Kind of sad really.

There is actually closer to 15 or 16 million machines to play BotW, but hey, you just keep ignoring facts to present a story you want there.

Limited Wii U BOTW stock at launch. It sold out faster than the Switch version, and the Wii U is dead too. 

Wiibaron said:

Why keep up bringing the attach rate thing, you know things don't work like that on big install bases 

It's also getting repetitive as you have made this comment like 3 times in different places and people always show you are taking a wrong aproach 

dharh said:
This 'controversy' is getting really boring.

Is it a controversy? 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Roar_Of_War said:
Neodegenerate said:

There is actually closer to 15 or 16 million machines to play BotW, but hey, you just keep ignoring facts to present a story you want there.

Limited Wii U BOTW stock at launch. It sold out faster than the Switch version, and the Wii U is dead too. 

None of that disqualifies what I said.  Especially when the game is also available digitally on Wii U for those who want it badly enough/prefer digital.