By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: Nintendo Traders Signal Switch Could Be Bigger Hit Than the Wii

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

It is way, way too early to be talking about Switch outselling the Wii. Sure, it has had a strong launch, but so did the Dreamcast and Wii U.

Let's see how it's selling this time next year.

Wii U had strong launch, but everything about Wii U was very negative despite strong launch, in comparison everything about Switch looks much more positive, not to mentione that Switch broke some records, it has one best games ever like launch game and other very strong games will be out in 1st 9 months of console on market, and demand seems much higher than was for Wii U.

The first 9 months of software look solid, but we know pretty much nothing beyond that. It remains to be seen whether they can keep up this pace. For all we know the game droughts could begin again next year. Even if they do maintain a consistent stream of content, that content will need to include enough new system selling games, not just stuff that sells to existing owners. Games like Donkey Kong Country Returns 3, Diddy Kong Racing 2, or  Wii U remasters are not gonna cut it.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Wii U had strong launch, but everything about Wii U was very negative despite strong launch, in comparison everything about Switch looks much more positive, not to mentione that Switch broke some records, it has one best games ever like launch game and other very strong games will be out in 1st 9 months of console on market, and demand seems much higher than was for Wii U.

The first 9 months of software look solid, but we know pretty much nothing beyond that. It remains to be seen whether they can keep up this pace. For all we know the game droughts could begin again next year. Even if they do maintain a consistent stream of content, that content will need to include enough new system selling games, not just stuff that sells to existing owners. Games like Donkey Kong Country Returns 3, Diddy Kong Racing 2, or  Wii U remasters are not gonna cut it.

3DS this year is like Wii U in its last year mostly receiving ports, spin offs and smaller projects, that basically means that all bigger projects are for Switch now, and soon all Nintendo teams will completle move to Switch because 3DS most likely will be dead next year. We will know more on E3 definatly, dont forget posible titles we could have next year, Retros game, Next Levels Game game, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter, Metroid (Reggie hinted Metroid), Pikmin...some other Wii U ports like Smash Bros... I don't doubt that Switch next year will have also strong games, and actually more games because more 3rd parties will be on board (espacily Japanese ones).

But in any case it more important that Switch has more stronger 1st year, beacuse 1st year will deacaide is Switch will be succes, fact that Wii U received strong games like MK8 and Smash Bros 4 in its second year didn't change anything because Wii U already was considered like huge failure after 1st year, word of mouth is also very important for console succes. Games like Zelda BotW, MK8D, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey will also sell Switch in following years also, they are all  strong system sellers games.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

3DS this year is like Wii U in its last year mostly receiving ports, spin offs and smaller projects, that basically means that all bigger projects are for Switch now, and soon all Nintendo teams will completle move to Switch because 3DS most likely will be dead next year. We will know more on E3 definatly, dont forget posible titles we could have next year, Retros game, Next Levels Game game, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter, Metroid (Reggie hinted Metroid), Pikmin...some other Wii U ports like Smash Bros... I don't doubt that Switch next year will have also strong games, and actually more games because more 3rd parties will be on board (espacily Japanese ones).

Didn't Nintendo say there would be new 3DS games at E3? They need to let it die already and give Switch their full support.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Didn't Nintendo say there would be new 3DS games at E3? They need to let it die already and give Switch their full support.

Yes, they can announce few more 3DS titles, but that really doesn't change anything, 3DS is currently in its 7. year on market. They still giving some support because 3DS is still selling and there is instal base of 65m people, so they still want to make money on 3DS because Switch is just launched and of course has small instal base, also there is point that 3DS curently has price point of $80-200 while Switch only $300. I dont have any doubt that sometime next year they will completely pull support for 3DS.

I also updated my previous post.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Yes, they can announce few more 3DS titles, but that really doesn't change anything, 3DS is currently in its 7. year on market. They still giving some support because 3DS is still selling and there is instal base of 65m people, so they still want to make money on 3DS because Switch is just launched and of course has small instal base, also there is point that 3DS curently has price point of $80-200 while Switch only $300. I dont have any doubt that sometime next year they will completely pull support for 3DS.

If they announce any major new 3DS games from here on out, they're fools. Switch needs to be their sole focus moving forwards, their future rests on its success.

Switch's first year lineup is indeed impressive, but that raises the danger that they may be blowing their load too early and not leaving enough big titles for 2018. They have a lot to prove at this year's E3. Hopefully they deliver another show like E3 2014 or 2010.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

If they announce any major new 3DS games from here on out, they're fools. Switch needs to be their sole focus moving forwards, their future rests on its success.

Switch's first year lineup is indeed impressive, but that raises the danger that they may be blowing their load too early and not leaving enough big titles for 2018. They have a lot to prove at this year's E3. Hopefully they deliver another show like E3 2014 or 2010.

I wouldn't expect any major 1st party game from 3DS any more, expect maybe Pokemon that in that case will be cross platform game (but that matter is not only on Nintendo but buy Pokemon Company also), they are aware that Pokemon would again sale at least around 10m on 3DS in any case, we already saw few times Nintendo launching Pokemon on system that is basically at end of lifea and when new one is around corner.

Like I wrote, "in any case it more important that Switch has more stronger 1st year, beacuse 1st year will deacaide is Switch will be succes, fact that Wii U received strong games like MK8 and Smash Bros 4 in its second year didn't change anything because Wii U already was considered like huge failure after 1st year, word of mouth is also very important for console succes. Games like Zelda BotW, MK8D, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey will also sell Switch in following years also, they are all  strong system sellers games".

So after Wii U its crucual that Switch has strong 1st year linuep and become very deassireble and visible console in its 1st year. Agree, in order to conitinue all this momentum, they need strong E3, and if we know that lotsa of their teams did not announced or launch any game for few years now, they can announce couple strong games at this years E3, they definitely didn't showed everything they had at Switch presentation (that's why announcement in terms of games was little underwhelming), they saved some announcements for E3.

Mnementh said:

Don't get this from gaming forums. People outside gaming were buzzing about Wii. And that actually made it successful.

They weren't mate I remember clearly Wii was seen a final swan song by many because the gaming industry as a whole still couldn't grasp the concept of the blue ocean approach and the massive power gap between the Wii and the competition made people even more convinced of it. Why do you think media outlets like Gamespot got humbled when Wii did well? They even had an April fools article that mocked the Wii which backfired harder than Polygon's Mario Kart 8 prediction. This is why the platform literally only had 2 major companies supporting it at launch (Ubisoft and Sega) and when it launched the gaming industry were calling the Wii a fad that will stop selling after a few months, expectations weren't high for it like you say.

It's only after a year and a half when the industry got force to swallow that the blue ocean approach actually works and that the platform wasn't a fad. The Buzz only really started with in the launch window when new gamers began buying the platform to try it out and word of mouth lead to more new gamers buying it.

curl-6 said:

It is way, way too early to be talking about Switch outselling the Wii. Sure, it has had a strong launch, but so did the Dreamcast and Wii U.

Let's see how it's selling this time next year.

I would of thought sometime like June/July would give us a good indicator. Nintendo still haven't satisfied their core audience with stock yet we still need to see if it will appeal to a wider audience. I went into a CEX store and they had 3 Switch's all at inflated prices (one in the window, one in the instore cabinet docked and one undocked) so at least 3 people decided to get rid within the month and they looked used rather than pristine. I only mention it because sometimes when there is real huge demand people will pay these prices immediately. I can't remember exactly what the price was something like £310-330. Maybe they sold them because there was issues with them and they were less than perfect examples.

The industry estimates have it from 5 to 14 million for sales up to March 2018. So if you split the difference its about 9 million as an average figure. I personally can't see it achieving that figure but was wrong about the wii and may well be wrong again. I use the logic that its overpriced and has a limited range of poor performance games but I realise sometimes its not about that its about the X factor, hype and marketing.  

Wyrdness said:
Mnementh said:

Don't get this from gaming forums. People outside gaming were buzzing about Wii. And that actually made it successful.

They weren't mate I remember clearly Wii was seen a final swan song by many because the gaming industry as a whole still couldn't grasp the concept of the blue ocean approach and the massive power gap between the Wii and the competition made people even more convinced of it. Why do you think media outlets like Gamespot got humbled when Wii did well? They even had an April fools article that mocked the Wii which backfired harder than Polygon's Mario Kart 8 prediction. This is why the platform literally only had 2 major companies supporting it at launch (Ubisoft and Sega) and when it launched the gaming industry were calling the Wii a fad that will stop selling after a few months, expectations weren't high for it like you say.

It's only after a year and a half when the industry got force to swallow that the blue ocean approach actually works and that the platform wasn't a fad. The Buzz only really started with in the launch window when new gamers began buying the platform to try it out and word of mouth lead to more new gamers buying it.

Well, I posted the graphs with the Nintendo-share in a follow-up-post. Nintendo shares were on the constant rise before the release of the Wii. Obviously strock traders had interest in Nintendo and were trusting in it's future. Whatever the reason, this means the development of share prices after launch of Wii and after launch of Switch aren't that comparable.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Wyrdness said:

Well, I posted the graphs with the Nintendo-share in a follow-up-post. Nintendo shares were on the constant rise before the release of the Wii. Obviously strock traders had interest in Nintendo and were trusting in it's future. Whatever the reason, this means the development of share prices after launch of Wii and after launch of Switch aren't that comparable.

No they were on the rise because of the DS you've got that mistaken, Wii didn't have high expeactations to the point people thought it would be the last home console from Nintendo especially after the 2 year drought that the GC had in its last 2 years.