By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: Nintendo Traders Signal Switch Could Be Bigger Hit Than the Wii

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

I wouldn't expect any major 1st party game from 3DS any more, expect maybe Pokemon that in that case will be cross platform game (but that matter is not only on Nintendo but buy Pokemon Company also), they are aware that Pokemon would again sale at least around 10m on 3DS in any case, we already saw few times Nintendo launching Pokemon on system that is basically at end of lifea and when new one is around corner.

Like I wrote, "in any case it more important that Switch has more stronger 1st year, beacuse 1st year will deacaide is Switch will be succes, fact that Wii U received strong games like MK8 and Smash Bros 4 in its second year didn't change anything because Wii U already was considered like huge failure after 1st year, word of mouth is also very important for console succes. Games like Zelda BotW, MK8D, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey will also sell Switch in following years also, they are all  strong system sellers games".

So after Wii U its crucual that Switch has strong 1st year linuep and become very deassireble and visible console in its 1st year. Agree, in order to conitinue all this momentum, they need strong E3, and if we know that lotsa of their teams did not announced or launch any game for few years now, they can announce couple strong games at this years E3, they definitely didn't showed everything they had at Switch presentation (that's why announcement in terms of games was little underwhelming), they saved some announcements for E3.

They really needed a strong first year for Switch after Wii U's incredibly weak one, and it looks like they have accomplished that.

To sustain momentum through 2018 though, they're going to need at least 6 major titles for the year, one every two months or so. Not saying they can't deliver that, but that's a lot to ask of any first party developer. If I were Nintendo, I'd be doing some moneyhatting right now to secure some third party exclusives and/or outsourced entries of in-house properties.

Wii U's first year was absolutely excellent. The problem is, it was equally excellent for Microsoft and Sony. Wii U had 2 Assassin's Creed and CoD titles along with other major multiplatform titles that people SWEAR Nintendo needs if they want to stay relevant. However, the console failed miserably. The first year of Wii U was a clear example that people do not understand what Nintendo needs to do in order to maintain relevance in this industry. They need to separate themselves from their competition as much as possible (through exclusive games and different philosophical practices).

This console, much like Wii and DS and even Game Boy, is about as different and distinct as Nintendo can get right now and if they follow through with great yet exclusive content, people will be pursuaded to get the console because the games are quality and can only be played in one place. This console is the direct opposite of Wii U in just about every single way. It did not launch with a lot of titles or multiplatform titles like Wii U did. It is actually very similar to 3DS and its launch with the exception of Zelda (which was not found at Wii U launch either). This console has obviously sold on three main things, killer content, a bright future, and its simplicity (much like Wii, DS, and 3DS and absolutely nothing like Wii U).

As for the rest of your post, I do believe Nintendo can put out a good chain of titles. I also agree that they should moneyhat as much as possible. Making sure Monster Hunter is exclusive should be their top priority. To have the first mainline HD monster hunter exclusive to Switch (not a remake) would probably secure Nintendo as the company to beat going forward.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network

It's going to be huge Mark my word

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

GhaudePhaede010 said:

Wii U's first year was absolutely excellent. The problem is, it was equally excellent for Microsoft and Sony. Wii U had 2 Assassin's Creed and CoD titles along with other major multiplatform titles that people SWEAR Nintendo needs if they want to stay relevant. However, the console failed miserably. The first year of Wii U was a clear example that people do not understand what Nintendo needs to do in order to maintain relevance in this industry. They need to separate themselves from their competition as much as possible (through exclusive games and different philosophical practices).

This console, much like Wii and DS and even Game Boy, is about as different and distinct as Nintendo can get right now and if they follow through with great yet exclusive content, people will be pursuaded to get the console because the games are quality and can only be played in one place. This console is the direct opposite of Wii U in just about every single way. It did not launch with a lot of titles or multiplatform titles like Wii U did. It is actually very similar to 3DS and its launch with the exception of Zelda (which was not found at Wii U launch either). This console has obviously sold on three main things, killer content, a bright future, and its simplicity (much like Wii, DS, and 3DS and absolutely nothing like Wii U).

As for the rest of your post, I do believe Nintendo can put out a good chain of titles. I also agree that they should moneyhat as much as possible. Making sure Monster Hunter is exclusive should be their top priority. To have the first mainline HD monster hunter exclusive to Switch (not a remake) would probably secure Nintendo as the company to beat going forward.

I'm not saying Nintendo needs multiplats. What they do need is system-selling exclusives, and Wii U's first year had basically none. It didn't really get its first killer app until Mario Kart 8, and that was too little too late.

And yeah, if Nintendo knows what is good for them, they'll already have sealed the deal for Monster Hunter 5 to be Switch exclusive. That alone would make Switch more popular than oxygen in Japan.

Keyword = Could.

GhaudePhaede010 said:
curl-6 said:

They really needed a strong first year for Switch after Wii U's incredibly weak one, and it looks like they have accomplished that.

To sustain momentum through 2018 though, they're going to need at least 6 major titles for the year, one every two months or so. Not saying they can't deliver that, but that's a lot to ask of any first party developer. If I were Nintendo, I'd be doing some moneyhatting right now to secure some third party exclusives and/or outsourced entries of in-house properties.

Wii U 1st year was terible, Wii U had solid number of 3rd party games but it was full of late ports whitout any must have exclusive or system seller, and for Nintendo console must have exclusives or system sellers are crucial beacuse those are thigs beacuse people buying Nintendo consoles, ports/multiplatforms were always week on Nintendo platforms. Just Zelda BotW like launch title blown away not just Wii U launch lineupe but hole Wii U 1st year. Not mentione that Wii U had drouths of few monts whitout any realse. Wii U launch and 1st year lineup actually was one of biggest reason why Wii U failed, if Wii U at launch or in its 1 year had games like MK8, Splatoon and Mario Maker, things would be much better.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

I wouldn't expect any major 1st party game from 3DS any more, expect maybe Pokemon that in that case will be cross platform game (but that matter is not only on Nintendo but buy Pokemon Company also), they are aware that Pokemon would again sale at least around 10m on 3DS in any case, we already saw few times Nintendo launching Pokemon on system that is basically at end of lifea and when new one is around corner.

Like I wrote, "in any case it more important that Switch has more stronger 1st year, beacuse 1st year will deacaide is Switch will be succes, fact that Wii U received strong games like MK8 and Smash Bros 4 in its second year didn't change anything because Wii U already was considered like huge failure after 1st year, word of mouth is also very important for console succes. Games like Zelda BotW, MK8D, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey will also sell Switch in following years also, they are all  strong system sellers games".

So after Wii U its crucual that Switch has strong 1st year linuep and become very deassireble and visible console in its 1st year. Agree, in order to conitinue all this momentum, they need strong E3, and if we know that lotsa of their teams did not announced or launch any game for few years now, they can announce couple strong games at this years E3, they definitely didn't showed everything they had at Switch presentation (that's why announcement in terms of games was little underwhelming), they saved some announcements for E3.

We can easily have around 6 strong/solid games next year, games like Retros game, Next Levels Game game, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter, Metroid (Reggie hinted Metroid), Pikmin...some other Wii U ports like Smash Bros...some 3rd party exlusives, are all posible next year. Fact is that lots of Nintendo teams released their last game few years ago and they will soon have titles ready and that 3DS usualy reciving smaller projects, ports and spinoffs, also for instance Nintendo said that Mario Odyssey is almost finished but they choose holiday season in order to spread strong games, I dont doubt they have similar plan for 2018. We will have know more at E3 definitely, buy again I don't expectint they will reveal all 2018. titles at this years E3.

iron_megalith said:
Miyamotoo said:

Switch is also home console despite it can be used like real handheld also, most accurate is hybrid of home console and handheld.

No. I won't call it a home console. The dock doesn't even have that much into it. It's all on the hand held console.

Because otherwise, we would call any device we can plug to a screen a home console. That includes Tablets and such.

You, can call it like ever you want, but fact is that in dock Switch acts like real home console and gave you full home console experience.

"Tablets and such" connected to screen will still be just that, "tablets and such", but Switch is dedicated gaming device made from ground in order to be used and to act like real home console or real handheld.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

Wii U 1st year was terible, Wii U had solid number of 3rd party games but it was full of late ports whitout any must have exclusive or system seller, and for Nintendo console must have exclusives or system sellers are crucial beacuse those are thigs beacuse people buying Nintendo consoles, ports/multiplatforms were always week on Nintendo platforms. Just Zelda BotW like launch title blown away not just Wii U launch lineupe but hole Wii U 1st year. Not mentione that Wii U had drouths of few monts whitout any realse. Wii U launch and 1st year lineup actually was one of biggest reason why Wii U failed, if Wii U at launch or in its 1 year had games like MK8, Splatoon and Mario Maker, things would be much better.

Did you literally say, "solid" and, "terrible" when talking about Wii U's first year? You are going to debate that one with yourself before you engage me. Meanwhile, most of those, "late ports" were like, one week... and people here, in this thread and other threads on these forums, are asking for... get this now... EVEN MORE LATE PORTS!!!!!!!

Basically, this shows how out of touch the gaming community is when it comes to Nintendo finding success. The goalposts are evermoving... just like in your post.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

GhaudePhaede010 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Did you literally say, "solid" and, "terrible" when talking about Wii U's first year? You are going to debate that one with yourself before you engage me. Meanwhile, most of those, "late ports" were like, one week... and people here, in this thread and other threads on these forums, are asking for... get this now... EVEN MORE LATE PORTS!!!!!!!

Basically, this shows how out of touch the gaming community is when it comes to Nintendo finding success. The goalposts are evermoving... just like in your post.

Yes, solid 3rd party launch games, but solid 3rd party games on launch doesnt mean shit in Nintendo case because multiplatforms doesn't sell Nintendo consoles, nobody bought Wii U because of those games because they were already on PS3/Xbox360 and In most cases they were late ports, and offcourse you cant sell Nintendo console on multiplatform ports beacuse strong Nintendo games are selling Nintendo hardware. People asking late ports in order that system have more games outside Nintendo games, so to have more games, more games is always positive thing in any case, but strong Nintendo games are system sellers for Nintendo not multiplatform games.

You are 1st person I saw that said that Wii U's first year "was absolutely excellent", beacuse its well known that it was teriible, weak exslusives, not must have games, and constant drouthg of games (we had 3-4 months without single game), Wii U launch and 1st year lineup actually was one of biggest reason why Wii U failed so hard.

Switch in its 9 months on market will have Zelda BotW, Mario Kart Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey, so we talking about some of biggest Nintendo IPs in just 1st 9 months and must have titles, and only Zelda BotW blows away whole 1st year Wii U lineupe.

I'm really starting to believe Switch has a realistic chance of outselling Wii. It is a solid console with some great versatility and great design, not to mention is home to one of the greatest games of the last 10 years. It is also riding on some solid indie titles, which I believe are ripe to outshine the AAA industry which feels to me like its dying on the vine with its formulaic games and skyrocketing developing costs. There is also the possibility of having many purchases of Switches per household on account of being a semi-handheld, not to mention any possible redesigns. You've also got to look at Nintendo's track record in the handheld industry - they've litterally NEVER lost a battle there, and have an essential monopoly in that industry, and the Switch IS a handheld, that happens to also function as a home console. My initial prediction was 60-80 million lifetime, and while I still see that as the realistic number, I can certainly see Switch selling even close to DS numbers of 150 million. Of course, it's still much much too early to tell, but to me, all signs point to a massive success for this console.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Switch is the Best gaming tablet, it's a New concept, could be use like home console, portable console with table mode and multiplayers on go.
Every one see in it what he want.
It's a tablet with console games, at front Nintendo games..
There is a lot of casual gamers playing on tablet, for this public, switch looks like a very good gaming tablet, better than a ipad at 1000$...

Switch have to be look like ultimate gaming tablet with possibility to playing easyly on tv and have all Nintendo games.

Good. Hopefully it sells good enough.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile