By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 500 million console Sony !

Considering they have been selling them since only the 90's i think sony's numbers are the most impressive. 500m+ in such a short space of time is absolutely incredible. they deserve every sale and many more in future.

Around the Network

Well congratz Sony.

When you put up the Vita against all the other numbers, it shows how much of a failure it really is against the rest of the brand.

Very impressive milestone! Congrats to Sony

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

You to have to hand it to them, they absolutely dominate the home console market. It's not even close.

Even overall of the six hardware system's they've made, five have sold 80 million or more units ... no one in the business has anywhere close to that consistency.

PS4 will top 100 million.

Nintendo made a terrible mistake in letting the Playstation happen and even after that letting it take off with stupid decisions on the N64. 

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
When you put up the Vita against all the other numbers, it shows how much of a failure it really is against the rest of the brand.

It really does :/

RolStoppable said:
Kerotan said:
Considering they have been selling them since only the 90's i think sony's numbers are the most impressive. 500m+ in such a short space of time is absolutely incredible. they deserve every sale and many more in future.

Like I noted in the other thread about Nintendo's total, if we only count hardware sales since the day that Sony entered with the PS1 in late 1994, Nintendo is the #1.

only if you count handhelds and casual consoles

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

BraLoD said:
SuperNova said:

This made me curious about the other console manufacurers and according to VGChartz it's:

DS: 154.88
GB: 118.69
GBA: 81.51
3DS: 64.14

Wii: 101.18
NES: 61.91
SNES: 49.10
Nintendo 46: 32.93
Gamecube: 21.74
WiiU: 13.87

TOTAL: 699,95 for Nintendo

xbox360: 85.78
xboxone: 28.62
xbox: 24.65

TOTAL: 139.05 for Microsoft

Sega Genesis: 29.54
GameGear: 10.62
Sega Saturn: 8.82
Dreamcast: 8.20
(No numbers for the Normad)

TOTAL: 57,18 for Sega ;____;

So Nintendo is also about to clear the 700m milestone with the Switch. The truly impressive thing about Sony is just how many home consoles they magaged to sell. Nintendo who is in the business longer has only sold 280m homeconsoles, while Sonys success firmly rests on it's homeconsoles.

Edit: beat to it by zorg1000 :P

VGChartz Mega Drive sales are really far from the true numbers, it was on par with the SNES the whole gen, actually it was beating it due to the headstart, and it catched up with good lags after the 32X/Sega CD failed and Sega userbase just dropped from a cliff with the Saturn.
Mega Drive sold around 40M according with some research made on some forums, which is a much more believable number.

Thanks! That number did seem very low to me. I thought maybe VGC tracked US only for the MegaDrive since it's listed as Genesis only, but then the NES is also just listed as that and seems to have the correct numers, so I ended up just taking it at face value.

RolStoppable said:
Kerotan said:

Like I noted in the other thread about Nintendo's total, if we only count hardware sales since the day that Sony entered with the PS1 in late 1994, Nintendo is the #1.

Not really a fair comparison when Sony only released 2 handhelds, the first one in 2005. That's 6 vs... like 10 Nintendo consoles?

Carl2291 said:

They should have know that handheld gaming was dying.