By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 500 million console Sony !

SuperNova said:

This made me curious about the other console manufacurers and according to VGChartz it's:

DS: 154.88
GB: 118.69
GBA: 81.51
3DS: 64.14

Wii: 101.18
NES: 61.91
SNES: 49.10
Nintendo 46: 32.93
Gamecube: 21.74
WiiU: 13.87

TOTAL: 699,95 for Nintendo

xbox360: 85.78
xboxone: 28.62
xbox: 24.65

TOTAL: 139.05 for Microsoft

Sega Genesis: 29.54
GameGear: 10.62
Sega Saturn: 8.82
Dreamcast: 8.20
(No numbers for the Normad)

TOTAL: 57,18 for Sega ;____;

So Nintendo is also about to clear the 700m milestone with the Switch. The truly impressive thing about Sony is just how many home consoles they magaged to sell. Nintendo who is in the business longer has only sold 280m homeconsoles, while Sonys success firmly rests on it's homeconsoles.

Edit: beat to it by zorg1000 :P

Oh nice one for Nintendo! They will probably hold it for another couple of years especially if the Switch does really well. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
leyendax69 said:

Not really a fair comparison when Sony only released 2 handhelds, the first one in 2005. That's 6 vs... like 10 Nintendo consoles?

Comparisons are never fair when Nintendo wins.

But in this case it's not fair... this is not about liking or disliking Nintendo

RolStoppable said:
leyendax69 said:

But in this case it's not fair... this is not about liking or disliking Nintendo

The rules for the comparison were set as "amount of consoles sold within a certain timeframe," and said timeframe was defined as "launch of PS1 until today."

Kerotan messed up.

Okay I see now. Damn frogs...

RolStoppable said:
leyendax69 said:

The rules for the comparison were set as "amount of consoles sold within a certain timeframe," and said timeframe was defined as "launch of PS1 until today."

Kerotan messed up.

Now we can spend the next 50 posts argueing what constitutes a console, pendants on your mark get set go.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
RolStoppable said:

Kerotan messed up.

Now we can spend the next 50 posts argueing what constitutes a console, pendants on your mark get set go.

dont forget, we also have to exclude anything labeled as "casual"

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

#RoadTo1Billion

RolStoppable said:
Kerotan said:
Considering they have been selling them since only the 90's i think sony's numbers are the most impressive. 500m+ in such a short space of time is absolutely incredible. they deserve every sale and many more in future.

Like I noted in the other thread about Nintendo's total, if we only count hardware sales since the day that Sony entered with the PS1 in late 1994, Nintendo is the #1.

Sony had less consoles tho.  More impressive 

BEST FREAKING PLACE TO PLAY!!! SONY IS THE KING OF THIS INDUSTY!!!

Sony dominates and has closed the gap. With Nintendo only selling on type of console now (not handhelds and regular systems combined) and the handheld market having a questionable future I could see them rapidly catching up to Nintendo.

I am Iron Man

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Sony dominates and has closed the gap. With Nintendo only selling on type of console now (not handhelds and regular systems combined) and the handheld market having a questionable future I could see them rapidly catching up to Nintendo.

Not sure if you saw Rol point it out but Nintendo has actually sold more hardware than Sony has since Sony has entered the hardware market.

As of March 1995 (a few months after PS1 launched in Japan), Nintendo had shipped roughly 140 million units of hardware between NES, SNES & Gameboy. Now the gap is 200 million in favor of Nintendo meaning that Sony has not closed the gap at all.

Also not sure if you realize this but Sony is also set to start selling one type of console (they said they dont see a future for a Vita successor).

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.