By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 500 million console Sony !

zorg1000 said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Sony dominates and has closed the gap. With Nintendo only selling on type of console now (not handhelds and regular systems combined) and the handheld market having a questionable future I could see them rapidly catching up to Nintendo.

Not sure if you saw Rol point it out but Nintendo has actually sold more hardware than Sony has since Sony has entered the hardware market.

As of March 1995 (a few months after PS1 launched in Japan), Nintendo had shipped roughly 140 million units of hardware between NES, SNES & Gameboy. Now the gap is 200 million in favor of Nintendo meaning that Sony has not closed the gap at all.

Also not sure if you realize this but Sony is also set to start selling one type of console (they said they dont see a future for a Vita successor).

From that precise point yes, but Sony ended up selling more from the late 90s on at least I believe or at least since 2013

I am Iron Man

Around the Network
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
zorg1000 said:

Not sure if you saw Rol point it out but Nintendo has actually sold more hardware than Sony has since Sony has entered the hardware market.

As of March 1995 (a few months after PS1 launched in Japan), Nintendo had shipped roughly 140 million units of hardware between NES, SNES & Gameboy. Now the gap is 200 million in favor of Nintendo meaning that Sony has not closed the gap at all.

Also not sure if you realize this but Sony is also set to start selling one type of console (they said they dont see a future for a Vita successor).

From that precise point yes, but Sony ended up selling more from the late 90s on at least I believe or at least since 2013

Well you can switch the precise point to 2000 or 2005 or 2008 or 2011 and it still remains in Nintendo's favor. Its only been since 2014 that Sony has started outselling Nintendo on a yearly basis.

So yes, if we are only looking at the last 3 years rather than the last 8 or 12 or 15 or 20 than the gap has been closing.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

Well you can switch the precise point to 2000 or 2005 or 2008 or 2011 and it still remains in Nintendo's favor. Its only been since 2014 that Sony has started outselling Nintendo on a yearly basis.

So yes, if we are only looking at the last 3 years rather than the last 8 or 12 or 15 or 20 than the gap has been closing.

513 million is what I get when I add up Nintendo hardware ... Game Boy Color (49m) + GBA (81m) + DS (154m) + 3DS (60m) + N64 (33m) + GCN (22m) + Wii (100m) + Wii U (14m) - 8 different systems. 

PS1 (102m) + PS2 (157m) + PS3 (86m) + PS4 (55m) + PSP (81m) + Vita (15m) = approximately 500 million from 6 different systems. 

There's not much of a gap here at all, if Sony had a portable system from 1996-2004, they'd likely be in the lead. 

Also how was Sony not outselling Nintendo during the PS1 + PS2 era ... PS1 + PS2 = 200 million (we'll cut off even the last 50m from the PS2). GBC + GBA + N64 + GCN is below that. 

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

513 million is what I get when I add up Nintendo hardware ... Game Boy Color (49m) + GBA (81m) + DS (154m) + 3DS (60m) + N64 (33m) + GCN (22m) + Wii (100m) + Wii U (14m) - 8 different systems. 

PS1 (102m) + PS2 (157m) + PS3 (86m) + PS4 (55m) + PSP (81m) + Vita (15m) = approximately 500 million from 6 different systems. 

There's not much of a gap here at all, if Sony had a portable system from 1996-2004, they'd likely be in the lead. 

Also how was Sony not outselling Nintendo during the PS1 + PS2 era ... PS1 + PS2 = 200 million (we'll cut off even the last 50m from the PS2). GBC + GBA + N64 + GCN is below that. 

Since 1995, Nintendo has sold more hardware than Sony.

Since 2000, Nintendo has sold more hardware than Sony.

Since 2005, Nintendo has sold more hardware than Sony.

Since 2008, Nintendo has sold more hardware than Sony.

Since 2011, Sony has sold more hardware than Nintendo.

Sure, we can play the what if game all we want, it doesnt change facts.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Impressive milestone, well deserved.

Around the Network
Jazz2K said:
Impressive milestone, well deserved.

indeed, I have had alot of good memories from Playstation these last 20 or so years. Hopefully we see another 20 great years of the Playstation brand.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

Yes, ok, lol, but if you look at context for one the statements of Nintendo creating some huge gap are false, and secondly I do think it's fair to point out Nintendo has had 8 hardware platforms since 1995 to get just a bit over 500 million in that time.  The gap is small overall. 

Like for instance lets just say for whatever reason the DS didn't exist and you compared Wii to PS3 + PSP, I'm sure you would quickly point out that's unfair because it's two hardware lines versus one. 

Sony has hit 500 million with 2 fewer hardware systems in that time, really the difference boils down to Sony not having a portable from 1995-2004, not because Sony isn't as good or arguably a better hardware seller than Nintendo is. 

Sony is by far the most consistent hardware seller in the business, they've only had one hardware ever sell under 80 million (safe bet PS4 will go over 80m), that's an unheard of level of consistency in this industry.

If you want to actually compare Sony Vs. Nintendo in relevant head to head systems we get

PS1 (102m) vs. N64 (33m)

PS2 (157m) vs. GCN (22m)

PS3 (86m) vs. Wii (101m)

PSP (80m) vs DS (154m)

Vita (15m) vs 3DS (60m)

PS4 (55m) vs Wii U (14m)

Sony is a bit over 100 million ahead and even with the phenomonal success of the Wii/DS era and these numbers are even less flattering when you consider the PS4 likely has another 50-60 million units to sell. The GB/GBA having no Sony equivalent for about 9 years are what keep Nintendo in the picture. 

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

Yes, ok, lol, but if you look at context for one the statements of Nintendo creating some huge gap are false, and secondly I do think it's fair to point out Nintendo has had 8 hardware platforms since 1995 to get just a tad over 500 million in that time.  

Like for instance lets just say for whatever reason the DS didn't exist and you compared Wii to PS3 + PSP, I'm sure you would quickly point out that's unfair because it's two hardware lines versus one. 

Sony has hit 500 million with 2 fewer hardware systems in that time, really the difference boils down to Sony not having a portable from 1995-2004. 

Sony is by far the most consistent hardware seller in the business, they've only had one hardware ever sell under 80 million, that's an unheard of level of consistency in this industry.

Nintendo sold about 140 million units of hardware as of March 31, 1995. Now the gap ia about 200 million so yes Nintendo has added alot to the gap in the last 22 years.

You are the only one who has pulled what if scenarios out of your ass. What if this didnt happen or what if that didnt happen or what if we exclude this or that, etc.

Also there is honestly no reason to expect a Sony handheld in the late 90s to have done amazing. Sony had one success and one failure in the handheld market so its just as likely that it would fail especially when you consider that it would release right when Pokemania was starting and that a huge reason for PSP success was the multimedia features which wouldnt have been possible at the time.

Ya your last statement is true but pretty irrelevant to the discussion.

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

Yes, ok, lol, but if you look at context for one the statements of Nintendo creating some huge gap are false, and secondly I do think it's fair to point out Nintendo has had 8 hardware platforms since 1995 to get just a bit over 500 million in that time.  

Sony has hit 500 million with 2 fewer hardware systems in that time, really the difference boils down to Sony not having a portable from 1995-2004, not because Sony isn't as good or arguably a better hardware seller than Nintendo is. 

Sony is by far the most consistent hardware seller in the business, they've only had one hardware ever sell under 80 million, that's an unheard of level of consistency in this industry.

If you want to actually compare Sony Vs. Nintendo in relevant head to head systems we get

PS1 (102m) vs. N64 (33m)

PS2 (157m) vs. GCN (22m)

PS3 (86m) vs. Wii (101m)

PSP (80m) vs DS (154m)

Vita (15m) vs 3DS (60m)

PS4 (55m) vs Wii U (14m)

Sony is a bit over 100 million ahead and the PS4 has likely another 50+ million to sell even with the phenomonal success of the Wii/DS era. The GB/GBA having no Sony equivalent for about 9 years are what keep Nintendo in the picture. 

just saw your edit, so if we pretend GBC& GBA didnt exist than Sony wins!!! can you even have a discussion without changing goalposts/cherry picking? i honestly dont think you can.

Sony has a 75% win ratio on home consoles ffs nerf Sony next patch plz kthxbye