By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Witcher 3 ever get good?

Ariakon said:

Eh, some games just don't mesh with certain people. Considering you didn't like the first two Witcher games, OP, maybe the setting and gameplay just aren't what you want. The rest of the game is more enjoyable, but it isn't significantly different from the beginning either, as the quests remain ask A to see B and I before E except after C, and though you learn more moves, the combat doesn't suddenly become Ninja Gaiden. You might want to just put it aside for something else rather than forcing yourself to play something that isn't clicking with you. 

OdinHades said:
It's a love it or hate it thing with the witcher. I too tried to like it. I played the first one but just couldn't enjoy it. Skipped the second game, tried the third game again, still hadn't any fun. It's just boring to me and the gameplay is quite dull. Plus I bought at launch and it was a buggy mess. I had to restart my whole game once because Geralt didn't want to climb a ladder.

But yeah, others enjoy it very much, just like I enjoy games other people hate to death. So I wouldn't call it a genuinely bad game. It's just not for me and apparently also not for you. Just let it go and play something else.

Fair enough, sounds about right. I hate feeling like I've wasted money but at least it wasn't too expensive. And forcing me through it would only add to the waste (time). I'm dropping it

Around the Network

The appeal of the Witcher, far as I can tell, is #1 setting & lore, #2 witcher contracts, and #3 the presentation. If none of that grabs you, the somewhat haphazard gameplay and main plot will probably fail to as well.

Hated Witcher 1, liked Witcher 2 and loved Witcher 3.

This series has improved A LOT.

Goodnightmoon said:

It really doesn't, I really can't see why this game is supposed to be that great, personally I had a really boring time with it specially thanks to the combat and how restrictive for an open world feels. Is a good game, but I don't see the greatness and certainly is not for me, tried for around 25 hours and it didn't convinced me.

Pretty much this. I tried so hard to like it, to see what was so great about it... but I simply couldn't. And that's not only due to combat, I could enjoy a game with lame combat but with other strong points, but even moving around the (limited) world was a hurdle. I couldn't find any joy in a game that had wonky animations and movements, weak story and non-existent pacing. I wouldn't even say it's a "good game". It's mediocre at best imo.

Props to the graphics tho: pretty amazing for a big game.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
Goodnightmoon said:

It really doesn't, I really can't see why this game is supposed to be that great, personally I had a really boring time with it specially thanks to the combat and how restrictive for an open world feels. Is a good game, but I don't see the greatness and certainly is not for me, tried for around 25 hours and it didn't convinced me.

Pretty much this. I tried so hard to like it, to see what was so great about it... but I simply couldn't. And that's not only due to combat, I could enjoy a game with lame combat but with other strong points, but even moving around the (limited) world was a hurdle. I couldn't find any joy in a game that had wonky animations and movements, weak story and non-existent pacing. I wouldn't even say it's a "good game". It's mediocre at best imo.

Props to the graphics tho: pretty amazing for a big game.

It feels mediocre to me too, but at least it does have great things like good side-quest, nice graphics and good writting (which is not exactly the same as good story). I always say "is a good game" because rationally I think is good and I know many people loves it, but following my enjoyment alone, it was pretty meh

Around the Network

Series got increasingly better and I really was engrossed in The Witcher 3. That being said, it isn't for everyone. Although the lore, story, characters, and presentation are top-notch, gameplay is uneven. I really enjoyed my time with the game and played it exclusively for almost a month. Lots to see and do with memorable characters and story.

I have the first game on GoG and the 2nd on 360. I cannot get into those games. I have a few hours in 2 and only a couple in 1. 1 is awful. 2 seems like a good game but the UI is beyond trash. Combat was fucking shit in both. So I will likely never even pick up 3 unless I was given a copy but even then likely let it sit on the shelf for years. I love the setting as I love medieval setting esp in fantasy. I just could not get past Geralts stupid forced gruff voice which is bad acting and sounds like every mid 00's tough guy. The combat is what really took me out of it.

I felt like it was always a good game, from start to about 20 hours where I got board and haven't went back. The problem is, it just never turned into a great game for me. It still suffers the same problem most open world RPGs do, and that is sub par gameplay and story telling. I loved the setting, the graphics, and the lore, but the gameplay was so unenjoyable, and the story was delivered so poorly, that I just lost interest, and desire to continue.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

If you didn't enjoy the Bloody Baron quests, there's not much for you in this game. It has a different structure than most open world games and the combat is quite different from most open world RPG's. Personally, I loved the game to bits, but I can see how it won't fit for a lot of people.

In my experience no. I put the game down after about 10 hours and never looked back