By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Witcher 3 ever get good?

FallingTitan said:

its one of the greatest games of all time. I have over 300+ hours on it and want more! Im in heaven when im on it!

btw i read 6 out of the 7 novels.

and i think the fighting is well balanced and methodical. theres a certain art to it and feels very good once you get it down. imust admit it took hours and hours to get used to it. and to not die always. its a steep learning curve. by the end of the game i was dancing around enemies and whirl winding like a god. 

For you but not for everyone.

Around the Network

Some people just want to justify their purchase even if they don't have to.

Go see a doctor. This game is absolutely amazing

I played through the second one and I was just aching to get it over with about halfway through. I just let the final boss go because I didn't want to play anymore.lol

I can see why people like it, but its just not for me.

I enjoyed what I played of Witcher 3. I got the GOTY Edition sometime last year and while the main game is fun, the gameplay was a little to be desired. Mostly mash light attack until win a lot of the time. The idea of go here do favours for these people to get information wares thin after a while but it turns more like and adventure later, plus the exploration of the massive world is fun enough. Never got round to finishing the DLC though, started playing other games, got half way through the first DLC (Hearts of something) but got annoyed at the whole, we need to rob this place now go build a team... screw the team, you'd spend like hour going to them, then have to do a task for them to recruit each one...you get the idea.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Roronaa_chan said:

Having had a less than enjoyable experience with the franchise playing W1 and W2 on PC when they came out, i was never in any rush to get W3 despite the critical acclaim. But hey, I could be wrong. I was wrong about Bloodborne. Could happen again. So when i saw it at sub-20 price, i got the game. Took the chance.

I'm level 10, ~midway-ish through the Crookback bog quest..after meeting the voiceless godling. I did every other main story thing available till this point, including Bloody Baron. Game doesn't track hours so I have no idea how much i've played, but I did not rush, have done plenty of side quests, be it secondary or contracts, making sure to not advance main story without completing side quests that aren't too high level for me.

Keeping it short cause knowing the unlikelihood of there being any W3 hater around here i doubt anyone would waste time reading a full breakdown of what i think about it:

- Combat, as I expected, still sucks. Even many fans of the game have admitted this so it came as no surprise. Not a particular let down. It's too simple, wonky/unresponsive, enemies are still overly erratic, making the whole thing a mess. Like playing drums with no rythm. 3 games in and the only "valuable" improvement they've made is flashy death animations. Unbelievable. 

- Quest/storyline design. I hear I have to find this ashen haired woman. So i'll talk to A who'll point me towards B who'll introduce me to C who'll ask me to do X where i'll learn Y so I can talk to D who'll point me towards E so I can ask about the ashen haired woman again.. Are you kidding me. What the hell is this? "The Most Roundabout Way Of Doing Anything: The Game"? Why even bother asking or helping anyone if at this point i already know they're not actually going to help me, but rather just start another meaningless quest that'll repeat the pattern? The padding is real. All of it is a chore. Was there any motive behind any of this other than increasing play time? Is anything interesting ever gonna happen that isn't in the final 10% of the game?

- Batgeralt. Holding L2 while following the obvious red things on screen and Geralt does all the brain work on his own sure makes me feel smart/accomplished /s. Just another unenjoyable way of padding things.

Curiously enough..only thing i've liked about it is playing Gwent. Only good thing about it as I see it. Wish I didn't have to slosh through 50 identical villages to find new NPCs to play against.

So, does it ever get better?

I'm not sure I understand your points of criticism.

Combat, that I can give you because it seems to be a matter of taste. I have no complaints in that department.

Quest/Storyline design. Finding the ashen haired woman is the main goal for most of the main game, it's not some minor side quest, you did know that, right? So you have to find someone in a massive world and you get your panties in a bunch because the first person you ask doesn't happen to know where that person is? Are you kidding me? I think that's pretty realistic, no padding there. What do you want, an option to skip right to the end of the adventure/quest? Or maybe you mean the one quest in the bog where you kind of have to try and milk the kids for information, because they have been told not to tell you anything? I thought the quests were exceptionally well done in this game. The side quests were so good you couldn't really tell them apart from the main quests. Even the monster hunts seemed unique, even though the pattern in every monster hunt generally tends to be the same for obvious reasons. If you didnät find any of that interesting, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you just arent the type to enjoy long adventure games.

Batgeralt. Okay, so you had to use your special tracking skills to find your target instead of the usual "go straight to dot on map" that everybody else does. I guess you prefer the latter, go figure. Everything is padding, gimme the end credits already, right? Jeez..

- Quest/storyline design. I hear I have to find this ashen haired woman. So i'll talk to A who'll point me towards B who'll introduce me to C who'll ask me to do X where i'll learn Y so I can talk to D who'll point me towards E so I can ask about the ashen haired woman again.. Are you kidding me. What the hell is this? "The Most Roundabout Way Of Doing Anything: The Game"? Why even bother asking or helping anyone if at this point i already know they're not actually going to help me, but rather just start another meaningless quest that'll repeat the pattern? The padding is real. All of it is a chore. Was there any motive behind any of this other than increasing play time? Is anything interesting ever gonna happen that isn't in the final 10% of the game?

This is the reason I stopped playing the game. That laziest story writing I've ever seen in my life. The fact that people can harp on ME:A's story and something like this gets a pass is mind boggling to me. This is coming from someone who loved The Witcher 2. I didn't even do any sidequest in The Witcher 2 cause I was so excited to see how the story would play out I just kept advancing the plot. The Witcher 3 got me for 20 hours before I said enough was enough and moved on with my life. To answer your question no the game never gets good and after 20 hours it keeps on padding the story from what I could tell.

Dante9 said:
Roronaa_chan said:

Having had a less than enjoyable experience with the franchise playing W1 and W2 on PC when they came out, i was never in any rush to get W3 despite the critical acclaim. But hey, I could be wrong. I was wrong about Bloodborne. Could happen again. So when i saw it at sub-20 price, i got the game. Took the chance.

I'm level 10, ~midway-ish through the Crookback bog quest..after meeting the voiceless godling. I did every other main story thing available till this point, including Bloody Baron. Game doesn't track hours so I have no idea how much i've played, but I did not rush, have done plenty of side quests, be it secondary or contracts, making sure to not advance main story without completing side quests that aren't too high level for me.

Keeping it short cause knowing the unlikelihood of there being any W3 hater around here i doubt anyone would waste time reading a full breakdown of what i think about it:

- Combat, as I expected, still sucks. Even many fans of the game have admitted this so it came as no surprise. Not a particular let down. It's too simple, wonky/unresponsive, enemies are still overly erratic, making the whole thing a mess. Like playing drums with no rythm. 3 games in and the only "valuable" improvement they've made is flashy death animations. Unbelievable. 

- Batgeralt. Holding L2 while following the obvious red things on screen and Geralt does all the brain work on his own sure makes me feel smart/accomplished /s. Just another unenjoyable way of padding things.

Curiously enough..only thing i've liked about it is playing Gwent. Only good thing about it as I see it. Wish I didn't have to slosh through 50 identical villages to find new NPCs to play against.

So, does it ever get better?

Quest/Storyline design. Finding the ashen haired woman is the main goal for most of the main game, it's not some minor side quest, you did know that, right? So you have to find someone in a massive world and you get your panties in a bunch because the first person you ask doesn't happen to know where that person is? Are you kidding me? I think that's pretty realistic, no padding there. What do you want, an option to skip right to the end of the adventure/quest? Or maybe you mean the one quest in the bog where you kind of have to try and milk the kids for information, because they have been told not to tell you anything? I thought the quests were exceptionally well done in this game. The side quests were so good you couldn't really tell them apart from the main quests. Even the monster hunts seemed unique, even though the pattern in every monster hunt generally tends to be the same for obvious reasons. If you didnät find any of that interesting, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you just arent the type to enjoy long adventure games.

I think what he wanted from a story line was something more than just continuously looking for one person. I.E. you find the girl and maybe now you find out what The Hunt wants/needs. Maybe you find out how to stop them and now you start working together to stop the hunt and have quest involving doing things to stop them. I think like me he wants the story line to expand beyond "go find her". Then have person after person pointintg you to different people never really accomplishing anything other than finding the next bread crumb. 

If I would have known that the main story was going to mainly involve just finding her then I would have second guessed my purchase because that immediately doesn't sound like a good story that's going to keep me engaged for 60+ hours. I thought it would involve more of The Hunt not just seeing glimpses of them chasing her.

To be fair, I'm the same about Skyrim. I never got into it. That's not to say the game is in any way bad -but perhaps not your taste.

I'm not even sure what to say...  If you don't like it from the jump, probably not.  The Witcher 3 is arguably the top RPG of all time.