By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo bring their handheld IPs to the Switch?

Do you think Nintendo will bring their handheld IPs to the Switch?

Yes 216 80.90%

Yes, when 3DS sales get low enough 33 12.36%

No 5 1.87%

No, Nintendo needs to foc... 3 1.12%

Only as ports of older handheld titles 2 0.75%

only through virtual console 2 0.75%

see results 6 2.25%

Total:267
sparticus112b said:
Next question, does this mean that we won't get "handheld like" (couldn't think of another way to word that) versions of games like Legend of Zelda. Breath of the Wild (almost worth the Switch purchase alone) is obviously amazing but I enjoyed the handheld Zelda games as well. What happens to the development teams that made the isometric view Zelda games and such? Do those teams switch to developing for mobile games?

Looking at how Mario gets 2D, 2.5D and 3D titles, I can assume Zelda will still get games of varying styles to keep the fans happy.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network

Franchises which were up to now more often (or exclusively) on handhelds:

Pokemon
Fire Emblem
Animal Crossing
Advance Wars
Mario & Luigi
Golden Sun
WarioWare
Kirby

Anything else?

zorg1000 said:
sparticus112b said:
Next question, does this mean that we won't get "handheld like" (couldn't think of another way to word that) versions of games like Legend of Zelda. Breath of the Wild (almost worth the Switch purchase alone) is obviously amazing but I enjoyed the handheld Zelda games as well. What happens to the development teams that made the isometric view Zelda games and such? Do those teams switch to developing for mobile games?

it does not mean that at all.

Ocarina of Time 3D & Majora's Mask 3D proved that 3DS was fully capable of handling 3D Zelda yet we still saw the release of Link Between Worlds & Triforce Heroes.

only time will tell if Nintendo intends to make 2D Zelda on Switch.

I think Aonuma mentioned possibility of 2D Zelda (like ALBW) on Switch.

mountaindewslave said:
zorg1000 said:

I think in late 2018/early 2019 we will see a portable only revision of Switch

Switch Lite-5" 720p screen, built in controls, 4-8hr battery life, $199.99

the whole point of Switch is to unify their handheld & console software output and userbase. releasing a seperate handheld defeats this purpose.

dreaming.

the chances of getting a smaller form factor like that with an 8 hour battery in the next year or two is like impossible if you look at the internals now. Maybe one or the other- they can consolidate and make a smaller version of the system but the price remains roughly the same.

Anyone expecting them to magically make a smaller form factor AND reduce the price by $100 in the next year or two are being insanely unrealistic. Bear in the mind the Dock included with the Switch is essentially a hunk of plastic with a USB connector. Removing that will have almost no effect on the price.

I don't think realistically with the design of the Joycons and the Switch itself (they put in the biggest battery in the interior and it takes up like over half of the space inside the system), its realistically possible for a smaller model in the future for LESS money with BETTER battery life. 

I also would argue that one of the best things currently about the Switch IS the size of the screen and how comfortable it is in the hands. A mini version might not be as fabulous as some suggest because it immediately effects layout to some degree and, again, I don't expect them to change the Joycons (it would be a nightmare having two SKu's for Joycon sizes out there).

bear in mind that without the Joycons connected the Switch actually is roughly the size of the 3DS. The only reason to make it smaller is for the small percentage of people who seem obsessed with sticking it in their pockets (and scraping the system).

I do agree though with the general sentiment that they won't release another system at the same time as the Switch though. Obviously a revised Switch is more likely than a WHOLE other system, its just unlikely, unless you literally made the Switch like 2x as small with a tiny screen, that there will be a version at $200 with much bettery battery life in the near future and next few years 

the Switch carrying bags are not big at all, they're like small purse/pouch size. I've carried it around with me some and its felt totally fine. I think the majority of even the handheld market are not the type of people who are going to just throw a $300 tablet (essentially) with a big screen into their pocket and let it scraped for things. So I'm not sure of the huge incentive for a smaller form factor of the Switch.

Not to mention the whole hybrid concept sort of sits on the fact that it isn't too small. It settles into a dock so it can be used at home. The moment Nintendo releases a version of the Switch that is just a handheld, in my eyes that suggests to some percentage of consumers that its not a regular home system. Which is far from what Nintendo appears to have been wanting in its marketing and the consumers they're reaching out to

A) cost wise I doubt a smaller version of the Switch will release (and if it does I certainly doubt it will be any cheaper), and B) I doubt a version of the Switch will ever be released without a dock because it goes against Nintendo's whole marketing and exposure plan for this system. It stops being an 'all in one' system as soon as that occurs 

wouldnt using a Tegra X2 allow it to be smaller and have better battery life?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

okr said:
Franchises which were up to now more often (or exclusively) on handhelds:

Pokemon
Fire Emblem
Animal Crossing
Advance Wars
Mario & Luigi
Golden Sun
WarioWare
Kirby

*Kid Icarus

+

Anything else?  (3rd party)

3rd party: Monster hunter, Bravely default series, Etrian Odyssey, Dragon Quest Monsters series, Ace Attorney series, Rune factory,...

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
The Switch is a handheld so I'd say so.

It surprises me that a handheld is getting lots of console games! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

yes yes and more yes

Yes

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Yes, they need to do everything they can to make sure this beats gamecube

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Pretty sure the IPs will be on Switch.