By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo bring their handheld IPs to the Switch?

Do you think Nintendo will bring their handheld IPs to the Switch?

Yes 216 80.90%

Yes, when 3DS sales get low enough 33 12.36%

No 5 1.87%

No, Nintendo needs to foc... 3 1.12%

Only as ports of older handheld titles 2 0.75%

only through virtual console 2 0.75%

see results 6 2.25%

Total:267
potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

Who said Fire Emblem was proof of all handheld franchises coming to Switch? Nobody, the OP used FE as an example of a handheld franchise he wants to come over and people pointed out that FE is already announced to be coming to Switch.

There's many posts here saying it's "obvious" that their "handheld IPs" will be coming to the Switch. It was in response to those poeple.

but none of those people used FE as proof.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I expect Animal Crossing at E3 this year.

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

There's many posts here saying it's "obvious" that their "handheld IPs" will be coming to the Switch. It was in response to those poeple.

but none of those people used FE as proof.

Hey look at that. It appears I completely missed the mark on this thread. I'll just see myself out then. Have a good day.

sparticus112b said:
Next question, does this mean that we won't get "handheld like" (couldn't think of another way to word that) versions of games like Legend of Zelda. Breath of the Wild (almost worth the Switch purchase alone) is obviously amazing but I enjoyed the handheld Zelda games as well. What happens to the development teams that made the isometric view Zelda games and such? Do those teams switch to developing for mobile games?

it does not mean that at all.

Ocarina of Time 3D & Majora's Mask 3D proved that 3DS was fully capable of handling 3D Zelda yet we still saw the release of Link Between Worlds & Triforce Heroes.

only time will tell if Nintendo intends to make 2D Zelda on Switch.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I think its very obviously that Nintendo is going to do a slightly SLOW transition to bringing their mainly handheld IPs from the 3DS to Switch. some 3DS games still sell insanely well, just look at Pokemon breaking records a few months ago...

its pretty obvious Nintendo still wants to milk the 60+ million 3DS owners as much as possible so I would expect over the next year or two Nintendo starting to bring Pokemon/MonsterHunter/JapanRPGs/etc all mainly to the Switch. 

the 3DS is still actually selling fairly well (at least based on numbers for the start of 2017) considering its like 6 years old or whatever... I get the feeling Nintendo doesn't want to cut off 3DS sales so that is why they're being conservative.

At any rate though if a Monster Hunter gets announced for the Switch in the next 6 months (E3?) and Pokemon Stars isn't just a rumor, then those two things alone would be a signal that they will in fact be consolidating things to the Switch coming up.

I just hope they don't feel pressured to make a lot of their IP released on the Switch considerably more advanced graphically than the 3DS- and the reason I say this is I do like at times when Nintendo has released a lot of solid games for handheld systems in a calendar year. I'd rather have a mix of innovative and NEW stuff (like Breath of the Wild) AND more chill things that should be quicker to develop (like an Animal Crossing or creative game like Mario Maker)  come out a more frequent pace then a relatively barren calendar where they only release a few big things.

The nice thing about Nintendo's handhelds in the past have been you USUALLY do get a solid stream of games from them. So hopefully they continue this with the Switch. A lot of people would be thrilled with some upgraded ports of even 3DS games onto the Switch with better graphics and additional modes or whatever

but to the OP's question- yes, of course they should. They consolidate to one system. I thought that was the goal in the first place and frankly something Nintendo fans have been interested in for a long time. A big appeal to me potentially with something like the Switch IS the Hyrbid nature and potential of having the more advanced current gen (ish) stuff AND the more chill basic handheld games all in one box

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
A new Wars game? (people know it as Advance Wars but began as Famicom Wars)

yeah I have no idea why Nintendo lets a fairly beloved series like Advance Wars just sit dead. Its makes zero sense. Then again they do it to things like Pilotwings, Punchout, Kid Icarus, F Zero, Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Snap, Wave Race, Excitebike, Baiten Katos (*edit I thought Monolith had this IP but I think Namco might), Earthbound, 

so I don't know why I act surprised at this point....

The Switch will be home to all of Nintendo's handheld and console games moving forward. I predict some to also be a duel release for another year or so, but after that they will be exclusively on the Switch.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

zorg1000 said:
sparticus112b said:
I guess my question should have been "Will there be another designated handheld, like 3DS, how that the Switch is out?" My buddy thinks they absolutely will make a new designated handheld. Me, I have no clue. It really depends. I will say, I don't know about you all but I don't want my kids taking the switch off the dock and using it. They've already broken 3 of my controllers (and my kids are pretty good kids).

I think in late 2018/early 2019 we will see a portable only revision of Switch

Switch Lite-5" 720p screen, built in controls, 4-8hr battery life, $199.99

the whole point of Switch is to unify their handheld & console software output and userbase. releasing a seperate handheld defeats this purpose.

dreaming.

the chances of getting a smaller form factor like that with an 8 hour battery in the next year or two is like impossible if you look at the internals now. Maybe one or the other- they can consolidate and make a smaller version of the system but the price remains roughly the same.

Anyone expecting them to magically make a smaller form factor AND reduce the price by $100 in the next year or two are being insanely unrealistic. Bear in the mind the Dock included with the Switch is essentially a hunk of plastic with a USB connector. Removing that will have almost no effect on the price.

I don't think realistically with the design of the Joycons and the Switch itself (they put in the biggest battery in the interior and it takes up like over half of the space inside the system), its realistically possible for a smaller model in the future for LESS money with BETTER battery life. 

I also would argue that one of the best things currently about the Switch IS the size of the screen and how comfortable it is in the hands. A mini version might not be as fabulous as some suggest because it immediately effects layout to some degree and, again, I don't expect them to change the Joycons (it would be a nightmare having two SKu's for Joycon sizes out there).

bear in mind that without the Joycons connected the Switch actually is roughly the size of the 3DS. The only reason to make it smaller is for the small percentage of people who seem obsessed with sticking it in their pockets (and scraping the system).

I do agree though with the general sentiment that they won't release another system at the same time as the Switch though. Obviously a revised Switch is more likely than a WHOLE other system, its just unlikely, unless you literally made the Switch like 2x as small with a tiny screen, that there will be a version at $200 with much bettery battery life in the near future and next few years 

the Switch carrying bags are not big at all, they're like small purse/pouch size. I've carried it around with me some and its felt totally fine. I think the majority of even the handheld market are not the type of people who are going to just throw a $300 tablet (essentially) with a big screen into their pocket and let it scraped for things. So I'm not sure of the huge incentive for a smaller form factor of the Switch.

Not to mention the whole hybrid concept sort of sits on the fact that it isn't too small. It settles into a dock so it can be used at home. The moment Nintendo releases a version of the Switch that is just a handheld, in my eyes that suggests to some percentage of consumers that its not a regular home system. Which is far from what Nintendo appears to have been wanting in its marketing and the consumers they're reaching out to

A) cost wise I doubt a smaller version of the Switch will release (and if it does I certainly doubt it will be any cheaper), and B) I doubt a version of the Switch will ever be released without a dock because it goes against Nintendo's whole marketing and exposure plan for this system. It stops being an 'all in one' system as soon as that occurs 

I don't think anyone is gonna say no.

Kinda off-topic, but if they bring Pokemon to Switch, and make it unplayable in TV mode, I will eat an entire table, then proceed to smash a window with my monitor.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Their most anticipated titles are handheld titles so they better put their handheld games on Switch.

The true potential of Switch is upgrading handheld games to 1080p so it makes the most business sense to get those games on Switch quick, fast, and in a hurry.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000