By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Revisions Are Basically Already Possible

Pyro as Bill said:
Soundwave said:

- 3DS models have outsold the cheaper 2DS since it released.

Because the 2DS design is a POS. I would of bought a 2DS, if the screens closed, like normal.

Around the Network
se7en7thre3 sai

Also to Miyamotoo, you don't seem to grasp that the type of XL being discussed is not actually more powerful, just using the full chip's capabilities at all times, on a new screen that only is larger because of a shrunken bezel, so it would still align with the standard joycons

Switch is already 6.2", thats already XL. We will definitely have smaller and cheaper Switch, but I dont see point of larger Switch than curent 6.2", I dont see Switch XL happening in any case.

ICStats said:
If we could already get a bigger screen, faster performance, or longer battery for the same cost, doesn't that make the Switch a poor value right now? (well already is a poor value because $360 for one game, but on top of that).

From that standpoint that could be said for any console at launch. But I dont see Switch XL happening in any case.

dahuman said:
ICStats said:
If we could already get a bigger screen, faster performance, or longer battery for the same cost, doesn't that make the Switch a poor value right now? (well already is a poor value because $360 for one game, but on top of that).

I already have like 5 games on the Switch and playing Zelda at work is pretty awesome lol.

4 crap games doesn't make 1 good game :P

My 8th gen collection

Miyamotoo said:
se7en7thre3 sai

Also to Miyamotoo, you don't seem to grasp that the type of XL being discussed is not actually more powerful, just using the full chip's capabilities at all times, on a new screen that only is larger because of a shrunken bezel, so it would still align with the standard joycons

Switch is already 6.2", thats already XL. We will definitely have smaller and cheaper Switch, but I dont see point of larger Switch than curent 6.2", I dont see Switch XL happening in any case.

ICStats said:

From that standpoint that could be said for any console at launch. But I dont see Switch XL happening in any case.

People always say stuff like this until they experience playing on a bigger screen and then a lot of them go "hey ... you know that's pretty good". 

The Switch's design already basically accomodates a larger screen without even altering its physical size, the large bezel could be easily removed and the screen could be increased to fill it providing a 7.5-inch display or so. 

This would be advantagous especially for 2-player games on the Switch (like playing Mario Kart splitscreen on one Switch or games like Snipperclips and NBA2K). Or for people who like to set the Switch down on a table with its kickstand up and play that way. It also would be advantagous for more ambitious games like Zelda where you want more screen real estate to enjoy the epic vistas. 

I think you'll have a choice of both eventually (larger screen or smaller models) and the larger screen models will prove to be more popular. People always question the bigger screen, but it provides a better experience in the end. It's like a regular car versus a luxury car, once you get used to the luxury car, going back to the regular car feels grating. When Nintendo first showed the DSi XL I remember the reaction from a lot of people was "OMG, that's so stupid, that DS is hilariously bloated and big, no one wants a DS with a screen the same size as a PSP, DS Lite is perfect, Nintendo shouldn't bother", but alas it's now become like the standard DS/3DS form factor. 

Its funny how some completely ignore tabletop mode, which is a  big feature of switch (2 player ready out the box  & on the go)...just happens to be the weakest mode right now, but fortunately, could be improved in new models without compromise to the original design i.e  Switch "XL" .

Around the Network
se7en7thre3 said:

Its funny how some completely ignore tabletop mode, which is a  big feature of switch (2 player ready out the box  & on the go)...just happens to be the weakest mode right now, but fortunately, could be improved in new models without compromise to the original design i.e  Switch "XL" .

Yeah it's actually part of the reason why I think 1,2 Switch is lame, Nintendo wanted to make a party game that can be played anywhere (like on a park bench/table) with the system set down on a table, but the 6.2 inch screen is too small for groups of people to gather around and comfortably view the screen. So they went with a bunch of mini-games that effectively don't require the screen ... but as such, the game is pretty lame. 

I'd prefer a Switch mini, actually.

MohammadBadir said:
I'd prefer a Switch mini, actually.

And you'll have a choice of both, there's an easy way to make both of those models just by looking at the bezel of the current Switch. You can cut the left/right bezels for an easy smaller model or you can increase the screen size without increasing the physical size of the unit for an XL unit. Easy peasy. 

My personal guess though is once people experience the larger screen, that's the model the majority of people are going to want. We've seen the story several times now with the DS, 3DS, and even PSP Go being smaller than their larger brother models, but the larger model always ends up outselling the smaller model. 

People want the bigger screen size and once they experience the difference it's hard to go back. I was the same way with the DSi XL, thinking "is this really neccessary?", but after playing it for like a couple of days, my regular sized DS went into my desk drawer and never came out. Same with my launch model 3DS (with the smaller screen). Once I got the XL ... I barely ever touched that smaller sized 3DS ever again. I basically put it back in its box and it's been sitting in my closet ever since. 

One big trend going on right now is bezel-less, and the Switch will go that way and it goes hand in hand with an increase in resolution and the X2. Pro that shit up.

Another mobile design that's coming up is the foldable screen, clamshell designs are coming back and the mini could go this route. Foldable screen with flat circlepad joycons on the side. The portable mini so many crave.

Soundwave said:

Yeah it's actually part of the reason why I think 1,2 Switch is lame, Nintendo wanted to make a party game that can be played anywhere (like on a park bench/table) with the system set down on a table, but the 6.2 inch screen is too small for groups of people to gather around and comfortably view the screen. So they went with a bunch of mini-games that effectively don't require the screen ... but as such, the game is pretty lame. 

If you would have said Bomberman... but in 1,2 Switch you are mainly looking at your rival not the screen, that's the basis of the game.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Soundwave said:
se7en7thre3 said:

As a Hori dock squad member I need that extra real estate .  bezel gotta kickrocks...