By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Revisions Are Basically Already Possible

DélioPT said:
To be honest, i honestly don't see how a Switch-only handheld would be a good idea now. It would feel less than Switch who can allow for home and on the go gaming.

I think the only revision that can actually sell, is a "Pro" version.

With better battery life, more power and a larger screen, the Pro would actually make sense to upgrade to.

A handheld + HC/handheld, on the market seems a bit redundant, whereas Switch 1.0 and Switch Pro with enhanced features all around, is a way better offering and can, given that there is a significant price difference, appeal to more people.

Switch only handheld (smaller, cheaper Switch for playing just for on go) is great idea, and IMO certain thing in around 2 years. Point of Switch Mini/Pocket would be to sell Switch to people who dont need home playing and want Switch for handheld playing at much more afordible price (around $100 cheaper than current Switch). Have on mind that Nintendo always had more affordable and more expensive piece of hardware, and when 3DS dies sometime next year they will need something much more affordable instead of current Switch that cost $300. Actualy Switch Mini/Pocket would be selling very good.

Actualy "Pro" version in around 3 years doesnt make any sense (espacily larger screen), there is no point to realase stronger/more expansive Switch so soon, (much earlier they will need much more affordable version of Switch not more expensive), but totally make sense to release cheaper, smaller Switch just for handheld gaming first when 3DS dies.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

GBA SP - 2003
DS - Nov. 2004
GBA Micro - 2005
DS Lite - 2006
Nothing - 2007
DSi - 2008 (Japan)
DSi XL - 2009 (Japan)
DSi XL - 2010 (US/EU)
3DS - 2011
3DS XL - 2012
2DS - 2013
New 3DS + New 3DS XL - 2014

To be honest, Nintendo has a revision for their portables more than people think, this is almost a new portable design a year from 2003-2014, it's 11 different models over the span of 11 years. 

I'm gonna say new Switch model or even two around July 2018, right in line with the 3DS. 

Tegra X2 is just beginning production now, by summer 2018 it will be easy to produce and might even be cheaper to produce than the Tegra X1, which will be on an old 20nm process by then. 

Just huge difrence is that 3DS XL used same nm and same hardware like base 3DS, there is no need for Nintendo to go soon with Tegra X2. I think they will go at one point with Tegra X2, but July 2018. seems so soon. And only "revision" in around 2 years will be just smaller, cheaper Switch Mini/Pocket just for handheld playing (because by that time 3DS will dead and they need much more affordable Switch on market like replacement not more expansive Switch), there is no need for revision of current Switch so soon.

I would pay $349 for the Switch Pro right now -maybe $399.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Soundwave said:

Thanks to the Tegra X2/Parker chip basically already being available, Nintendo could revise the Switch already. In fact I would guess they already have Switch revision models up and running in their R&D department. 

Because the Tegra X2 consumes about half the power for example, you could have a Switch model that has 5-8 hours of battery life while playing a game like Zelda: BoTW for example and because it would generate significantly less heat, the system could be made smaller too. Now that might be tricky with Joycon size likely having to remain standard, but the right/left black bezels could be cut out, which would significantly reduce the width of the system, while having a better battery life. 

Or conversely you could have dock level performance in undocked mode while keeping the same form factor and potentially a larger screen. So for instance, you could have a Switch that runs Mario Kart 8 Deluxe at 1080p even while undocked. 

My guess is you will see Tegra X2 based Switch systems in 2018 for the first wave of Switch revisions. Something like this

Switch Mini - Cuts down the right/left bezels for more compact size, improves battery life to 5-8 hours. So smaller + better battery. $249.99 MSRP w/game bundled. 

Switch Pro XL - Same size as current Switch, but increases screen size to 7.5 inches 1080p (less bezel), can run at docked performance in portable state. $299.99 MSRP w/game bundled. 

Yeah, pretty much what I was thinking with The Switch XL. Will just be less bezel but bigger screen.

However, I think Switch Mini will just be a standalone handheld in the form factor of the PSVita. (still dockable but dock+ controllers sold seperarely). 

DélioPT said:
To be honest, i honestly don't see how a Switch-only handheld would be a good idea now. It would feel less than Switch who can allow for home and on the go gaming.

With better battery life, more power and a larger screen, the Pro would actually make sense to upgrade to.

A handheld + HC/handheld, on the market seems a bit redundant, whereas Switch 1.0 and Switch Pro with enhanced features all around, is a way better offering and can, given that there is a significant price difference, appeal to more people.

For as long there are standardised joycons the Switch will always be too big to be pocketed easily, it'll always be slightly more costly than it ought to for people who just want the handheld function and it'll continue to be slightly fidly for kids (adults are already having problems with the Joycons). 

The Key thing is that a switch only handheld is just an option, just like the 2DS. Unlike the 2DS against the 3DS, a Swicth handheld would actually serve a functional purpose better than the standard Switch. I could quite easily imagine that a fair amount of people who really enjoy playing Switch as a handheld may actually consider getting 2 systems if the Switch mini makes for a better handheld system.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
DélioPT said:

Switch only handheld (smaller, cheaper Switch for playing just for on go) is great idea, and IMO certain thing in around 2 years. Point of Switch Mini/Pocket would be to sell Switch to people who dont need home playing and want Switch for handheld playing at much more afordible price (around $100 cheaper than current Switch). Have on mind that Nintendo always had more affordable and more expensive piece of hardware, and when 3DS dies sometime next year they will need something much more affordable instead of current Switch that cost $300. Actualy Switch Mini/Pocket would be selling very good.

Actualy "Pro" version in around 3 years doesnt make any sense (espacily larger screen), there is no point to realase stronger/more expansive Switch so soon, (much earlier they will need much more affordable version of Switch not more expensive), but totally make sense to release cheaper, smaller Switch just for handheld gaming first when 3DS dies.

I get that there are people who would like a Handheld only. But all Nintendo needs is to take out the dock and the price will go down at least 60 dollars or so (it's being sold at 80$).

The difference between a Switch mini and Switch Pro is that people get more from the Pro version.
Actually, that's exactly what Switch is all about: play anywhere and get the full experience. Switch Mini doesn't offer that. Pro, does.

I don't know when's the time to release a "Pro" version, but i don't expect it anytime soon. Probably late 2018?

Otter said:
DélioPT said:

For as long there are standardised joycons the Switch will always be too big to be pocketed easily, it'll always be slightly more costly than it ought to for people who just want the handheld function and it'll continue to be slightly fidly for kids (adults are already having problems with the Joycons). 

The Key thing is that a switch only handheld is just an option, just like the 2DS. Unlike the 2DS against the 3DS, a Swicth handheld would actually serve a functional purpose better than the standard Switch. I could quite easily imagine that a fair amount of people who really enjoy playing Switch as a handheld may actually consider getting 2 systems if the Switch mini makes for a better handheld system.

But the problem with the handheld only version is that it goes exactly against what Switch is all about: home console on the go. This is what Nintendo is selling.

I'm not saying that it can't change in a year or so. I just think that the Pro seems a better proposition and it actually makes sense: mobile devices, when replaced by a newer version, offer more power, better battery, etc..

To me, it's too soon to bring a mini version. Consumers are more than happy with Switch and with PS4 Pro/Scorpio and future iterations, Nintendo needs to catch up too.

DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

I get that there are people who would like a Handheld only. But all Nintendo needs is to take out the dock and the price will go down at least 60 dollars or so (it's being sold at 80$).

The difference between a Switch mini and Switch Pro is that people get more from the Pro version.
Actually, that's exactly what Switch is all about: play anywhere and get the full experience. Switch Mini doesn't offer that. Pro, does.

I don't know when's the time to release a "Pro" version, but i don't expect it anytime soon. Probably late 2018?

Hardly that Dock is cost Nintendo $60, hardly cost them more than $20, for Mini/Pocket Switch they will take out dock, they will have smaller screen, and smaller Switch (current Switch definitely isn't most practical handheld), possible built in Joy Cons...

Like I wrote, its not point only about handheld only, but also point to have more affordable Switch on market when 3DS dies. Point is there is no need for Switch Pro, but there will definitely be need for cheaper Switch Mini/Pocket when 3DS dies. Switch Mini/Pocket does not offer playing games at home, but part of same platform, it will offer Switch games and much more affordable price point for hardware

I can see Switch Mini/Pocket at end of 2018.  or early 2019. but actually I don't see at all Switch Pro, we will have some revison of curent Switch also, but I dont see more powerfule Switch so fast, not before 2020. Also there are some chances for Switch for console playing only around 2020. Switch will be family of devices (something similar like DS or 3DS but even more diverse beause Switch is home console also), not just one current version of Switch.

If we could already get a bigger screen, faster performance, or longer battery for the same cost, doesn't that make the Switch a poor value right now? (well already is a poor value because $360 for one game, but on top of that).

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:
If we could already get a bigger screen, faster performance, or longer battery for the same cost, doesn't that make the Switch a poor value right now? (well already is a poor value because $360 for one game, but on top of that).

I already have like 5 games on the Switch and playing Zelda at work is pretty awesome lol.

I also believe there will be a dock 2.0 that accommodates the Switch mini/Lite and other models, more akin to the  Vita charging dock.

Also to Miyamotoo, you don't seem to grasp that the type of XL being discussed is not actually more powerful, just using the full chip's capabilities at all times, on a new screen that only is larger because of a shrunken bezel, so it would still align with the standard joycons