By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Revisions Are Basically Already Possible

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

Switch is already 6.2", thats already XL. We will definitely have smaller and cheaper Switch, but I dont see point of larger Switch than curent 6.2", I dont see Switch XL happening in any case.

From that standpoint that could be said for any console at launch. But I dont see Switch XL happening in any case.

People always say stuff like this until they experience playing on a bigger screen and then a lot of them go "hey ... you know that's pretty good". 

The Switch's design already basically accomodates a larger screen without even altering its physical size, the large bezel could be easily removed and the screen could be increased to fill it providing a 7.5-inch display or so. 

This would be advantagous especially for 2-player games on the Switch (like playing Mario Kart splitscreen on one Switch or games like Snipperclips and NBA2K). Or for people who like to set the Switch down on a table with its kickstand up and play that way. It also would be advantagous for more ambitious games like Zelda where you want more screen real estate to enjoy the epic vistas. 

I think you'll have a choice of both eventually (larger screen or smaller models) and the larger screen models will prove to be more popular. People always question the bigger screen, but it provides a better experience in the end. It's like a regular car versus a luxury car, once you get used to the luxury car, going back to the regular car feels grating. When Nintendo first showed the DSi XL I remember the reaction from a lot of people was "OMG, that's so stupid, that DS is hilariously bloated and big, no one wants a DS with a screen the same size as a PSP, DS Lite is perfect, Nintendo shouldn't bother", but alas it's now become like the standard DS/3DS form factor. 

But fact is that 6.2 is already huge screen for handheld gaming console and huge difference compared to 3DS XLs 4.9" screen.

Like I wrote I dont bigger screen in any case, maybe in future in some point we will have bigger Switch screen, but I definitely not see that in around next 3 years, while I am certain we will have Switch Mini/Pocket in around 2 years. For Nintendo is almost certain priorite to relase smaler/chaper Switch when 3DS dies, not more bigger/more expansive Switch than curently is.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

People always say stuff like this until they experience playing on a bigger screen and then a lot of them go "hey ... you know that's pretty good". 

The Switch's design already basically accomodates a larger screen without even altering its physical size, the large bezel could be easily removed and the screen could be increased to fill it providing a 7.5-inch display or so. 

This would be advantagous especially for 2-player games on the Switch (like playing Mario Kart splitscreen on one Switch or games like Snipperclips and NBA2K). Or for people who like to set the Switch down on a table with its kickstand up and play that way. It also would be advantagous for more ambitious games like Zelda where you want more screen real estate to enjoy the epic vistas. 

I think you'll have a choice of both eventually (larger screen or smaller models) and the larger screen models will prove to be more popular. People always question the bigger screen, but it provides a better experience in the end. It's like a regular car versus a luxury car, once you get used to the luxury car, going back to the regular car feels grating. When Nintendo first showed the DSi XL I remember the reaction from a lot of people was "OMG, that's so stupid, that DS is hilariously bloated and big, no one wants a DS with a screen the same size as a PSP, DS Lite is perfect, Nintendo shouldn't bother", but alas it's now become like the standard DS/3DS form factor. 

But fact is that 6.2 is already huge screen for handheld gaming console and huge difference compared to 3DS XLs 4.9" screen.

Like I wrote I dont bigger screen in any case, maybe in future in some point we will have bigger Switch screen, but I definitely not see that in around next 3 years, while I am certain we will have Switch Mini/Pocket in around 2 years. For Nintendo is almost certain priorite to relase smaler/chaper Switch when 3DS dies, not more bigger/more expansive Switch than curently is.

You will see both and in well under 3 years. 

LCD tech is cheap, the cost difference of a 6.2 inch screen versus a 7.5 inch display is piddly these days. 

6.2 inches is actually quite small for a lot of the things Nintendo wants to do with the system like the "gather around" and even some games having split screen game play (Puyo Tetris, Mario Kart, etc.) on a single display. 

It's not big enough, it's part of the reason 1,2 Switch is so gimped. The screen is not large enough to have multiple people gather around it so they had to design the game to be usable without needing the screen. 

And I'll also go on record again as saying the larger screen Switch will wipe the floor with the smaller Switch model in sales. People who prefer smaller/pocket models are the minority these days and it's been shown again and again (DSi XL >> DSi sales, 3DS XL > 3DS standard sales, New 3DS XL >>> New 3DS, PSP standard >>> smaller PSP Go). Bigger screens is what people want. People who like the smaller sizes are a vocal minority on the internet but they don't translate to real sales, just like with the iPhone there was a vocal group that wanted the old 4-inch iPhone form factor back, well Apple made a version for them and it's selling like hot crap. None of the kids/teenagers want that thing. 

Miyamotoo said:
DélioPT said:

I get that there are people who would like a Handheld only. But all Nintendo needs is to take out the dock and the price will go down at least 60 dollars or so (it's being sold at 80$).

The difference between a Switch mini and Switch Pro is that people get more from the Pro version.
Actually, that's exactly what Switch is all about: play anywhere and get the full experience. Switch Mini doesn't offer that. Pro, does.

I don't know when's the time to release a "Pro" version, but i don't expect it anytime soon. Probably late 2018?

Hardly that Dock is cost Nintendo $60, hardly cost them more than $20, for Mini/Pocket Switch they will take out dock, they will have smaller screen, and smaller Switch (current Switch definitely isn't most practical handheld), possible built in Joy Cons...

Like I wrote, its not point only about handheld only, but also point to have more affordable Switch on market when 3DS dies. Point is there is no need for Switch Pro, but there will definitely be need for cheaper Switch Mini/Pocket when 3DS dies. Switch Mini/Pocket does not offer playing games at home, but part of same platform, it will offer Switch games and much more affordable price point for hardware

I can see Switch Mini/Pocket at end of 2018.  or early 2019. but actually I don't see at all Switch Pro, we will have some revison of curent Switch also, but I dont see more powerfule Switch so fast, not before 2020. Also there are some chances for Switch for console playing only around 2020. Switch will be family of devices (something similar like DS or 3DS but even more diverse beause Switch is home console also), not just one current version of Switch.

Ok, maybe getting rid of the dock won't take 60$ out. But that will just be one way of cutting costs.

Why do you think Nintendo needs a more affordable Switch?
Ps4 was making a killing at 400$. Switch is doing so well that Nintendo is doubling projected sales for the next fiscal year.
Exactly why should Nintendo come up with a cheaper alternative that goes against what makes Switch great and really appealing? Why?

You say that there is no need for a "Pro" version.
Well, i disagree: who doesn't want a better battery life, bigger screen - and who knows, bigger buttons/joysticks - and more power for better multiplatform games?
I would also disagree that the Pro isn't more needed when Sony and MS have released/are releasing more powerful HW.
In 1/2 years we might just see a new PS.
Nintendo needs to catch up too. They can't stand still and hope that developers will put in more time and money to develop a Switch version - a version that would feel really bare bones when compared to PS5 and Xbox next.

Also, by introducing of a Pro version, the regular Switch will surely get a price cut - they won't be able to sell a low powered console for almost 400$; they would need to lower the price.

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

LCD tech is cheap, the cost difference of a 6.2 inch screen versus a 7.5 inch display is piddly these days. 

6.2 inches is actually quite small for a lot of the things Nintendo wants to do with the system like the "gather around" and even some games having split screen game play (Puyo Tetris, Mario Kart, etc.) on a single display. 

It's not big enough, it's part of the reason 1,2 Switch is so gimped. The screen is not large enough to have multiple people gather around it so they had to design the game to be usable without needing the screen. 

And I'll also go on record again as saying the larger screen Switch will wipe the floor with the smaller Switch model in sales. People who prefer smaller/pocket models are the minority these days and it's been shown again and again (DSi XL >> DSi sales, 3DS XL > 3DS standard sales, New 3DS XL >>> New 3DS, PSP standard >>> smaller PSP Go). Bigger screens is what people want. People who like the smaller sizes are a vocal minority on the internet but they don't translate to real sales, just like with the iPhone there was a vocal group that wanted the old 4-inch iPhone form factor back, well Apple made a version for them and it's selling like hot crap. None of the kids/teenagers want that thing. 

Like wrote, fact is that 6.2 is already huge screen for handheld gaming console and huge difference compared to 3DS XLs 4.9" screen or any previous handheld.

You missing point, point of DS XL or 3DS XL is offer more expensive device in family, and you already have more expensive device in family with current Switch (dont forget that Switch is $300 and most likly we not having price cut this year), but they don't have more affordable Switch, and that will be priorite for Nintendo when 3DS dies, not to have more expansive Switch than current one.

Completely disagree, I am pretty confident we will not see Switch XL in next 3 years and that we definitely seeing Switch Mini/Pocket instead.

DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

Hardly that Dock is cost Nintendo $60, hardly cost them more than $20, for Mini/Pocket Switch they will take out dock, they will have smaller screen, and smaller Switch (current Switch definitely isn't most practical handheld), possible built in Joy Cons...

Like I wrote, its not point only about handheld only, but also point to have more affordable Switch on market when 3DS dies. Point is there is no need for Switch Pro, but there will definitely be need for cheaper Switch Mini/Pocket when 3DS dies. Switch Mini/Pocket does not offer playing games at home, but part of same platform, it will offer Switch games and much more affordable price point for hardware

I can see Switch Mini/Pocket at end of 2018.  or early 2019. but actually I don't see at all Switch Pro, we will have some revison of curent Switch also, but I dont see more powerfule Switch so fast, not before 2020. Also there are some chances for Switch for console playing only around 2020. Switch will be family of devices (something similar like DS or 3DS but even more diverse beause Switch is home console also), not just one current version of Switch.

Why do you think Nintendo needs a more affordable Switch?

Ps4 was making a killing at 400$. Switch is doing so well that Nintendo is doubling projected sales for the next fiscal year.
Exactly why should Nintendo come up with a cheaper alternative that goes against what makes Switch great and really appealing? Why?

You say that there is no need for a "Pro" version.
Well, i disagree: who doesn't want a better battery life, bigger screen - and who knows, bigger buttons/joysticks - and more power for better multiplatform games?
I would also disagree that the Pro isn't more needed when Sony and MS have released/are releasing more powerful HW.
In 1/2 years we might just see a new PS.
Nintendo needs to catch up too. They can't stand still and hope that developers will put in more time and money to develop a Switch version - a version that would feel really bare bones when compared to PS5 and Xbox next.

Also, by introducing of a Pro version, the regular Switch will surely get a price cut - they won't be able to sell a low powered console for almost 400$; they would need to lower the price.

"Why do you think Nintendo needs a more affordable Switch"!?

Because Nintendo always had on market products at several price points (just look last year, from 2DS to Wii U, basicly from $80 to $300 price point), and with Switch they will after 3DS dies have only one product that not have affordable price, you will defiantly see multiply devaices like part of Switch family.

Yes, there is no need for Pro and actually more expensive price Switch from market standpoint, they first need more affordable version of Switch not more expensive. We will have at some point more stronger Switch, if that will Switch 2 or Switch Pro, hard to tell, but I dont see that in next 3 years in any case.

It's obvious that Nintendo doesn't care about power of PS/Xbox consoles.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

Like wrote, fact is that 6.2 is already huge screen for handheld gaming console and huge difference compared to 3DS XLs 4.9" screen or any previous handheld.

You missing point, point of DS XL or 3DS XL is offer more expensive device in family, and you already have more expensive device in family with current Switch (dont forget that Switch is $300 and most likly we not having price cut this year), but they don't have more affordable Switch, and that will be priorite for Nintendo when 3DS dies, not to have more expansive Switch than current one.

Completely disagree, I am pretty confident we will not see Switch XL in next 3 years and that we definitely seeing Switch Mini/Pocket instead.

Who says a TX2 based Switch would be any more expenisve? 

Nintendo fans have funny ideas about hardware power and how hardware power must cost waaaaay more. That's not how things work. Costs scale over time and new technology replaces old technology. 

If it wasn't then use some common sense here, every new iPhone, which is updated every year and offers usually abou double the performance of the last model would cost twice as more. Except they don't. They usually cost basically the same price. 

So yes, sure, Nintendo could have a Switch in 2018 which is TX2 based and simply replaces the older model at the $299.99 price point. And there could be a cheaper one too at $249.99 (the smaller model with a smaller/lower quality screen) for example. 

Also why can't you have both? Nintendo released both a New 3DS and a New 3DS XL. Apple now releases iPhones in regular and Plus sized models. The reason is consumers *like* choice. Just because you want a smaller, cheaper model doesn't mean you are even in the majority of what people want in a Switch revision (in fact I suspect you are actually in the minority here). But that's ok, because people should have a choice.

And more Switch models is actually only natural because Switch is replacing Nintendo's entire hardware line, I think you are dead wrong if you are saying there's merely going to be only 1 revision in the next 3 years for the Switch and that's all the hardware Nintendo is basically going to have. I doubt it. You will see a lot of Switch models over the years IMO. Part and parcel because by going the hybrid route Nintendo is losing money from their core base that would buy a console and handheld in the past ... one way to recoup that is to have more hardware models for the current Switch and encourage more double dipping hardware purchases. 

NOrmally i buy launch consoles but with the minor issues they have atm I decided to wait.

I bought Zelda Switch Limited edition and it will get usage for sure later on.

Atm playing the Wii U version

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

Nintendo fans have funny ideas about hardware power and how hardware power must cost waaaaay more. That's not how things work. Costs scale over time and new technology replaces old technology. 

If it wasn't then use some common sense here, every new iPhone, which is updated every year and offers usually abou double the performance of the last model would cost twice as more. Except they don't. They usually cost basically the same price. 

So yes, sure, Nintendo could have a Switch in 2018 which is TX2 based and simply replaces the older model at the $299.99 price point. And there could be a cheaper one too at $249.99 (the smaller model with a smaller/lower quality screen) for example. 

Also why can't you have both? Nintendo released both a New 3DS and a New 3DS XL. Apple now releases iPhones in regular and Plus sized models. The reason is consumers *like* choice. Just because you want a smaller, cheaper model doesn't mean you are even in the majority of what people want in a Switch revision (in fact I suspect you are actually in the minority here). But that's ok, because people should have a choice.

And more Switch models is actually only natural because Switch is replacing Nintendo's entire hardware line, I think you are dead wrong if you are saying there's merely going to be only 1 revision in the next 3 years for the Switch and that's all the hardware Nintendo is basically going to have. I doubt it. You will see a lot of Switch models over the years IMO. Part and parcel because by going the hybrid route Nintendo is losing money from their core base that would buy a console and handheld in the past ... one way to recoup that is to have more hardware models for the current Switch and encourage more double dipping hardware purchases. 

TBH Nvidia produced so many TX1 chips that it wouln't suprise me that the come up with some sort of deal with Nintendo to use them first at a very heavily discounted price to move them all first before a revision. 

If there will be a pricecut, they should have a version that will cost the same price with an enhanced dock version, so at least it will run on par with the handheld mode

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Cobretti2 said:
Soundwave said:

TBH Nvidia produced so many TX1 chips that it wouln't suprise me that the come up with some sort of deal with Nintendo to use them first at a very heavily discounted price to move them all first before a revision. 

Even when the TX1 first came out though it was in cheap devices ... $199.99 US Sheild console was available .... two years ago. TX2 is just the natural newer version of that chip, it's not going to cost like 2x as much, just like Apple doesn't pay magically double for the new GPU in every iPhone they buy, even though iPhone's generally double in horsepower every year. 

That's just the natural progression of mobile chips, this is also new territory for Nintendo because the Switch chipset basically has no customizations really. So Nintendo can just keep use the Tegra line of chips, much like Apple does with PowerVR chips for every generation of iPhone and iPad. It's for the best really, Nintendo's overly customized chipsets with weird IBM CPUs and eDRAM pools and exotic memory types and all that wasn't really benefitting the games and it made revising the chip or dropping the price problematic because no one else but Nintendo was using that tech. 

It also means Nintendo has options now ... if they wanted to do this in the past and their chip was more custom, redesigning the chip for whatever reason cost money because it was a custom design only they would use. The way it is now, Nvidia is making these chips (Tegra X2 for example) anyway, so Nintendo can just let them do all the R&D and use their chip basically whenever they feel like.