By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Unconfirmed: Nintendo Raises Switch Forecast To 16 Mill From 8 Mill For Next Fiscal Year

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1353192

According to the WSJ, Nintendo has raised shipment levels for the Switch from 8 million (which was always a bit on the low side) to 16 million for the April 2017-March 2018 fiscal year. I can't confirm this for sure so take with a grain of salt until Nintendo says it officially. 

8 mill was always very low I think, but 16 mill ... is quite a bit. The 3DS never hit 16 million ever (13.95 million was 3DS' peak shipment year). 

I'm thinking a price cut to $250 for fall is pretty much in the bag now, Pokemon Stars and maybe even Animal Crossing Switch this fiscal year too on top of what we already know. There must be a lot coming in the next year or so, or Nintendo is getting overconfident too soon. 

So it doesn't look like stock issues for Nintendo Switch will be lasting too much longer either as a lot of systems should be coming for April. 

Around the Network

Well them must have some big releases planned for next year, which sounds good because else they wouldn't raise the numbers I think.

We will see, it seems like a lot but if they market it right, Nintendo Handhelds are very loved

Twitter @CyberMalistix

So they're expecting to ship 15% more than any given 3DS year. It'll be impressive if they can do that without a price drop.

I like the system quite a bit, but I do wonder if Nintendo is maybe getting a tad ahead of themselves.

I don't think the system has the same crossover appeal the Wii or DS had, 1,2 Switch is not really taking off the same way way Wii Sports or Brain Training did and the "sharing the Joycon" mechanic is conivenant in a pinch and all but I don't know if it's really going to become the next big thing in gaming.

As such the system is largely going to have to sell to core Nintendo fans ... which I mean, if they have a knock your socks off library, it could happen, but 16 million in a year is a lot to try to push down especially with a product north of $200+ even with Mario and Pokemon. 

Dragon Quest XI and probably a Monster Hunter would help but mainly in Japan.  

Could be a bit like Amiibo where Nintendo undershipped initially, and then overshipped too much in response, my local stores are still stocked with a crapton of unsold Animal Crossing Amiibo that have been sitting there forever.

malistix1985 said:
Well them must have some big releases planned for next year, which sounds good because else they wouldn't raise the numbers I think.

We will see, it seems like a lot but if they market it right, Nintendo Handhelds are very loved

Next fiscal year starts next month, not next year.

Around the Network

So they are going to outsell the PS4 (2014) in its first fiscal year. Would be impressive if they could pull it off.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Shouldn't this thread title state RUMOUR

This must indeed mean Pokemon Stars is coming.

At the moment Nintendo is playing its cards in a great way, but they will need to maintain, if not ramp up, momentum to achieve those sales.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Doubling the production seems exaggerated and ridiculous (and hard to do). If real, either they were completely crazy for the initial forecast or they are now.

Nogamez said:
Shouldn't this thread title state RUMOUR

Idk man, WSJ knows their shit with Nintendo stuff