By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should next gen kinda do away DISC DRIVES?

Pick an option after reading the thread

Scenario 1 35 32.41%

Scenario 2 7 6.48%

Scenario 3 66 61.11%

Total:108

I'm expecting a blu ray drive + 1TB of whatever they can afford to put into a $400 console by then. You need the disc drive for compatibility, movies, and physical customers, even if the games will still need to be installed first. NVMe sure would be cool...

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
Get rid of them. Discs are one of the worst things introduced to gaming. Theyre weak and easily broken. Either keep it cartridge based like Nintendo or do full digital

While I would like all games on carts, its also more expensive to do that and games are already taking up 40GB - 50GB fairly regularly.

We don't want games limiting content/quality because it couldn't fit on the cheaper/smaller cart. Which happened often on cart based consoles.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
StarOcean said:
Get rid of them. Discs are one of the worst things introduced to gaming. Theyre weak and easily broken. Either keep it cartridge based like Nintendo or do full digital

While I would like all games on carts, its also more expensive to do that and games are already taking up 40GB - 50GB fairly regularly.

We don't want games limiting content/quality because it couldn't fit on the cheaper/smaller cart. Which happened often on cart based consoles.

Today is a little different compared to the Nintendo 64 era though.

ROM can economically hit 32-64GB... Verses Blu-Ray which is about 50GB for a dual layer disc.
Where as the N64 days the largest carts were 64MB verses CD's 600-700MB.

NAND, ROM and other forms of storage have made great strides in the last decade, by next generation they will be even better.

Expense is a bit of an issue, but considering companies are testing the waters with higher game prices (In the face of ever-increasing profits mind you!) then I think they can eat a bit of the profit anyway, heck they don't even bother to give us game manuals anymore.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Not while the console space is a global market. It might not be a big deal to us, but there are loads of places around the world where if the only way to get games is to download them, them the console in question is just an expensive brick.
Until very recently, the average single game's download size was almost double my monthly download limit.

Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

ROM can economically hit 32-64GB... Verses Blu-Ray which is about 50GB for a dual layer disc.

NAND, ROM and other forms of storage have made great strides in the last decade, by next generation they will be even better.

Expense is a bit of an issue, but considering companies are testing the waters with higher game prices (In the face of ever-increasing profits mind you!) then I think they can eat a bit of the profit anyway, heck they don't even bother to give us game manuals anymore.

Economically? Compared to discs its not even close. A disc is worth a fraction for a large amount of space. I assume the next Xbox and Playstation will be using 100GB discs.

I would prefer carts, but I understand why its not done.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

I don't think carts will ever be a viable replacement for discs..... r at least not now. Lets not forget that we already have BDXL discs on the market.

You can buy a pack of 2 100GB BDXL RW discs right now from amazon for $14. Thats $7 a piece. And thats talking about rewriting discs and consumer pricing. It wouldn't cost publishers anything more than $3 for the same discs including packaging and distribution. I judt don't see how its possible they get carts down to under $3 for 100GB worth of storage. And if history has shown us anything, they will always choose the cheaper method or distribution unless the form factor of the hardware prevents this from happening.

And lets not forget, game sizs are like to grow by at least 20% next gen. 

Pemalite said:

I agree with you on this bit but in the interest of fairness, weirdly, game prices haven't increased since the 90s really, even though generally inflation has and game development is far more complicated and dev teams are far larger. More copies of games have to be sold to be profitable.

I mean, I paid £40 late 90s for new games, I pay £40 now.

Hmm, pie.

Mr Puggsly said:
Pemalite said:

Economically? Compared to discs its not even close. A disc is worth a fraction for a large amount of space. I assume the next Xbox and Playstation will be using 100GB discs.

I would prefer carts, but I understand why its not done.

Keep in mind that not all non-volatile memory is the same and thus they do not all have the same costs.

Plus, just because something is economical, doesn't make it cheaper. It simply means it is affordable.

Non-volatile memory in the 32-64GB range is still in that affordability ballpark and getting better all the time.

I would prefer optical media though in a fixed-device for multimedia purposes... But carts also have favourable characteristics such as durability, size, power consumption and of course, read speeds. (And significantly, Random-read speeds.)

The capacity argument is no longer the same as the Nintendo 64 days though, technology has progressed significantly.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

StarOcean said:
COKTOE said:

Jaaaa? I have literally never broken a disk. From the PS1 to right now. I rented the 3DO once, and Sega CD 3-4 times to boot. 

Never seen people with discs so scratched they wont play? People like that are why I prefer carts

That was somewhat a possibility untill the PS3. BR discs are really hard to scratch. I havent seen people having that issue, at least I never had one.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:
StarOcean said:

Never seen people with discs so scratched they wont play? People like that are why I prefer carts

That was somewhat a possibility untill the PS3. BR discs are really hard to scratch. I havent seen people having that issue, at least I never had one.

I thought I took damn good care of my disc but some of my most played disc on Gamecube like Kart are pretty bad by my standard.  Not deep enough to stop working but still not as good as I thought I could keep my discs.  This is from someone that always makes sure they go back in the case.  I've been burnt on a Metal Slug Anthology used disc off ebay before.  It played most of the games on it but the last few wouldn't work.  Had to buy another like new condition disc which was still stracthed to shit but worked on all the games.  Never will buy an used disc off the internet again.