By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should next gen kinda do away DISC DRIVES?

Pick an option after reading the thread

Scenario 1 35 32.41%

Scenario 2 7 6.48%

Scenario 3 66 61.11%

Total:108
Ka-pi96 said:
Option 4! Blu ray drive + HDD.

Physical media is best media, plus digital prices are a complete rip off. And why would I want an SSD when I could either have a much larger or much cheaper HDD?

Yeah! Take this, lack of physical media!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

I say don't get rid of disc drives until physical sales are a small percentage of sales.

Its evident not offering physical games on a console will hurt sales and the disc drive isn't expensive.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

StarOcean said:
Get rid of them. Discs are one of the worst things introduced to gaming. Theyre weak and easily broken. Either keep it cartridge based like Nintendo or do full digital

I think PS would have a hard time leaving blu-ray behind and switching to carts. XB would probably be more open to this though, which may push PS into having little choice but to follow suit.

Even though Switch games seem to be about the same price now with carts, I have a hard time believing that PS and XB wouldn't increase the cost of games by $5 to $10 each if they went that route.

How much you would save on the lack of optical drive and mass storage drive in the console as compared to how much more the games may cost is something that would have to be factored in, as well as loading times with carts and their benefits with games 40GB and larger.

StarOcean said:
Get rid of them. Discs are one of the worst things introduced to gaming. Theyre weak and easily broken. Either keep it cartridge based like Nintendo or do full digital

Jaaaa? I have literally never broken a disk. From the PS1 to right now. I rented the 3DO once, and Sega CD 3-4 times to boot. 

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Intrinsic said:
  1. This has the smallest form factor. And is gaining popularity quickly. It uses the same base technology with SSDs (flash memory modules) but it runs a 4x PCie inteface as opposed to a SATA interface and also has a memory controller and ram cache to facilitate its blisteringly fast transfer speeds.

All SSD's have a memory controller to some extent.
Having a Ram cache depends on the SSD model, some earlier SSD's used it, allot of Sandforced based drives didn't, doesn't matter if it's Sata or PCI-E based.

Some SSD's will use a chunk of higher grade SLC NAND for performance reasons in a TLC drive to use as a cache, some SSD's will use system memory instead.

sethnintendo said:

Return of the carts to home console!

I don't even have a disc drive on my new computer I built. No need for it anymore.  I could add a blu ray drive to it later but I have enough blu ray players as of now.

PC is different than consoles. The PC embraced newer distribution methods.

Intrinsic said:

Yes catridges are faster than HDDs, but I doubt HDDs are whatthe next consoles are going to use. Its not just about SSDs (be it in ttheir sata or m.2 formats) being better all round (espeicially better than any catridge will ever be) but its that the industry in general is shifting away from mechanical drives which in turn will bring the price of SSDs down.

Depends on the memory and the layout of said memory as to whether a cart will outperform a mechanical drive.

If you are using a single TLC NAND chip, then a mechanical disk should be superior.

StarOcean said:

Some disks also have inherent flaws during their production... Where various layers can "loosen" and oxidation of the data layer can occur.

Personally I am fine with discs, provided they are high quality... And the bonus of watching other media is a big draw card as well.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
StarOcean said:

Jaaaa? I have literally never broken a disk. From the PS1 to right now. I rented the 3DO once, and Sega CD 3-4 times to boot. 

Never seen people with discs so scratched they wont play? People like that are why I prefer carts

StarOcean said:
COKTOE said:

Never seen people with discs so scratched they wont play? People like that are why I prefer carts

Back in the rental days, at GameBusters ( local store ) I would see it every now and again. More so at Blockbuster. By my own hand? Not once. The people that scratch their disks until they don't work are....special.

COKTOE said:
StarOcean said:

Back in the rental days, at GameBusters ( local store ) I would see it every now and again. More so at Blockbuster. By my own hand? Not once. The people that scratch their disks until they don't work are....special.

It pisses me off x.x Ive seen people who put their discs in the stupidest places

StarOcean said:
COKTOE said:

It pisses me off x.x Ive seen people who put their discs in the stupidest places

Habitual disk scratchers could ruin anything. From an HDD/SSD, to a good church party. 

COKTOE said:
StarOcean said:

Habitual disk scratchers could ruin anything. From an HDD/SSD, to a good church party. 

Once found someones disc on a rigged wooden surface. Above the disc? The game case