By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nier Automata Review Thread. Metacritic: 89!!

Tagged games:

BraLoD said:

About the quote, it reads like the reviewer disliked the game structure of having to beat it multiple times to achieve an actual conclusion, which I honestly can't say it's not a possible issue, I dunno how Nier did it, I love a series that has the same structure, but I can see how it's irritating.

I didn't finish the game yet, but I passed the part where Square Enix says "You need to beat the game multiple times so launch it again" a long  time ago, and you just don't play the same thing again. The second "run" is already different, and the third (where I am right now) is something else entirely, and is even presented as the main part of the game. The first part of the game, before the "beat it multiple times" message, feels more like a long intro.

So, maybe I'm wrong and at the very end of the game I'll have to do everything again, but I rather think that guys complaining about that stopped at the message asking you to launch a second run without trying to do it. Congrats to those geniuses for reviewing a game at the end of the intro...

Around the Network

I absolutely love NieR: Automata. If you haven't gotten to the end (the real end), the conclusion will stun you!

I view the game as a really smart work of metafiction and provided my interpretation on Sunday. Because of both what this game has to say and how it chooses to say it, I consider NieR: Automata my second-favorite game of this year to date, beaten out only by Night in the Woods (which encapsulates my own worldview more fully than any other game I've played before).

Faelco said:
BraLoD said:
It's down to 88

Thanks to a turkish review barely one page long, and apparently the guy didn't go really far in the game. According to Google Trad, he complains about having to play the same game from beginning to end several times, and says that the story is full of holes. So he maybe didn't even play the second part, and surely never heard of the rest of the game, I'm sure he stopped at the Square Enix message at the end of the first part.

"I played the game's intro and I didn't understand everything about the story, it sucks". I hope guys like this aren't paid for such a poor job...

Gaming journalism at its finest. Just because the hobby has a stigma of being "for kids", the people who get paid to write about it do a half assed job. Rumors, lies, fear mongering, and lack of depth are par for the course. I'm looking forward to the day when  some of these hacks go unemployed.

Faelco said:
BraLoD said:
It's down to 88

Thanks to a turkish review barely one page long, and apparently the guy didn't go really far in the game. According to Google Trad, he complains about having to play the same game from beginning to end several times, and says that the story is full of holes. So he maybe didn't even play the second part, and surely never heard of the rest of the game, I'm sure he stopped at the Square Enix message at the end of the first part.

"I played the game's intro and I didn't understand everything about the story, it sucks". I hope guys like this aren't paid for such a poor job...

On behalf of all Turkey I apologize for that review.

If Meta can accept my 10/10 I can bring balance to the force.

Aura7541 said:
I love how Yoko Taro answered "I really like girls" when asked why 2B wears heels. He just doesn't give a fuck and is very straightforward.

Yeah, not sure what people expect him to answer, deep philosophical meaning? Why do devs always have to justify how things look, why does Link wear a green tunic? Because they liked how it looked?

BraLoD said:
Faelco said:

I didn't finish the game yet, but I passed the part where Square Enix says "You need to beat the game multiple times so launch it again" a long  time ago, and you just don't play the same thing again. The second "run" is already different, and the third (where I am right now) is something else entirely, and is even presented as the main part of the game. The first part of the game, before the "beat it multiple times" message, feels more like a long intro.

So, maybe I'm wrong and at the very end of the game I'll have to do everything again, but I rather think that guys complaining about that stopped at the message asking you to launch a second run without trying to do it. Congrats to those geniuses for reviewing a game at the end of the intro...

Well, he could have been fooled.
I don't usually try to replay a game as soon as I beat it, most games I never replay, so if the game tells me I have to play it multiple times more, I would very likely drop it there, if it's really completely different (as different settings, different characters, etc), then it's the game fault to not let it clear.
Again, I don't know how it is, maybe it feels like it'll still be new after reading the message, but it sounds like it's a poor way of letting people aware it doesn't actually keep repeating and keep more as a continuation, rather than a "do it again".

For example, one of the things RE6 does right is that, it separates every major char story on its own campaign, and from the beginning you know they are complete different things, as they are all well separated, so when you beat Leon's campaign, and the get the story conclusion, you know there are still a lot of complete new stuff to do, and playing Chris, Jake and Ada campaign will not be a repeating, but a different thing that still adds more and more to the story mode you already played,

I don't remember the message exactly, but it is a "Square Enix message" after the credits saying something like "you only saw one aspect of the story, we ask you to launch your save game again to see more". And the second run is different from the first second after you load your game, you see immediately that it's not the same thing (I was like "What? What is happening? Shouldn't it be the same thing?" when I did it). So it's not that Square Enix wasn't clear, it's that the reviewers didn't even press "continue" after the "Please press continue" message. Lazy and/or stupid...

Those guys surely ended Persona 4 in the hospital room without knowing that they skipped 3 months of the story, or stopped playing Zero Time Dilemma after 5 minutes when they got the first ending for choosing the right side of the coin (automatic first ending after 5 minutes). 40 euros for a 5 minutes game, what a scam!

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Boutros said:
5/10 - Random troll

It's now down to 89 and in fact on the verge of 88 because of a single review LOL

Interesting how a troll review on Metacritic can hold so much weight. 

That is why meta critic is shit. Any statisticion worth his salt would remove extreme outliers from their samples.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Aww, down to an 88. Really wanted it to stay above a 90. Oh well, great score still regardless.

NobleTeam360 said:
Aww, down to an 88. Really wanted it to stay above a 90. Oh well, great score still regardless.

One of my favorite games of last gen got an 88% (Super Mario Maker). One of my least liked games got a 92% (Bayonetta 2). 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Back and forth, HZD and Automata love keeping us in suspense

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

BraLoD said:
And... back to 89

Lol. and stay there.