By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Without the Zelda name, Breath of the Wild would not score so well

Torillian said:
I think I'd have more to say about the apparent floor on 3D Zelda games' review scores than this latest example. The fact that Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess (with it's terrible waggle controls) ended up at 93 and 95 respectively makes me think that there's a floor for 3D Zelda where they would have to specifically try to get below. 98 makes BOTW one of the greatest games of all time, and I don't think that is affected by the aforementioned effect.

I'm sorry but Twilight Princess deserved that score on 2006, no question about it. As for SS I understand is more divisive, but appart form the fact that is a nightmare if you hate motion controols, the game was extremelly solid in almost every aspect, still wasn't as memorable as others, but I doubt that game deserved a much lower score than it had.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
Torillian said:
I think I'd have more to say about the apparent floor on 3D Zelda games' review scores than this latest example. The fact that Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess (with it's terrible waggle controls) ended up at 93 and 95 respectively makes me think that there's a floor for 3D Zelda where they would have to specifically try to get below. 98 makes BOTW one of the greatest games of all time, and I don't think that is affected by the aforementioned effect.

I'm sorry but Twilight Princess deserved that score, no question about it. As for SS I understand is more divisive, but appart form the fact that is a nightmare if you ahte motion controols, the game was extremelly solid in every aspect, still wasn't as memorable as others, but I doubt that game deserved a much lower score than it had.

See how you describe SS?  "Solid".  Is something that was "extremely solid in every aspect" deserve a 93 as one of the greatest games ever made.  I just can't agree with that, and I think if any other franchise had a game where the best people could say about it was it was solid it would not get those kind of scores.  

Vertigo-X said:

That's the problem: there's no substance to his argument. He literally just states the thread title but a bit longer. *He's* the one who doesn't supply any evidence of the Zelda name inflating the review scores. I can't find the post, but the person who mentioned Skyward Sword was the only one who had an argument supporting the OP's point (I would've scored it lower because I *hated* the mandatory motion controls).

My guess: OP is salty because he thinks Zelda potentially scoring higher than HZD diminishes the accomplishments of the latter. This is, of course, balogna but that won't stop people like him trying to rain on the Zelda parade.

(Supporting evidence of him being a PS4 fan should be easy: his signature. I'm not belittling him because of this; simply pointing out that he has an inherent bias in making this thread.)

I didn't say whether his comment had substance or not, just that the salt gifs and comments were removing any possibility of constructive discussion. It's not of concern to me whether that discussion is in favour or against the OT, just that discussion can happen (and is now, which is nice).

In my opinion, I got the game delivered yesterday and try not to spoil anything, how can I make spoilertags?, BOTW is overrated. It is good but does in no way deserve a rating higher than 90/100.

It completely misses signature Zelda elements that could have been added to the game like Heart pieces, Zelda weapons and Metroidvania style exploration. This would not have destroyed the open world nature of the game at all, but could have expanded and improved that concept. It is a good game, but it could be so much better if it had kept these elements.

Also cooking and weapon durability and management are horrible and very inconvenient to use and button-masing based combat feels primitive, all of Links moves like rolling and the A-jump are gone. And large parts of the world can feel very empty. It does mot feel like a Zelda game at all but still offers great exploration. Also the hundreds of physics based riddles get boring really quickly and feel more like work instead of fun, especially if it takes 10 deaths and 30 minutes of work to enter certain buildings.

I miss the magical atmospere of former Zelda games that made these games so great. Overall the game does feel like a colorful mixture of Skyrim and Xenoblade X with Zelda Characzers but in no way these ratings are justified.

Dont be so salty.

Around the Network

Yah, it would be have a 97 instead of a 98.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I just hope its better than Skyward Sword

It can work both ways. I agree Zelda has this power over game critiques such as the case of Skyward Sword and TP however I don't think they'd get those scores if they didn't live up to a certain standard which Nintendo games, and particularly Zelda games, do. 

I think the Nostalgia and recognisable characters/plot might give it an extra 2-3 points but you can argue the same for Nolan's Batman movies for instance. If it wasn't Batman/Joker would the Dark Knight have gotten as high reviews and be so loved? Probably not but nostalgia is not easily earned as it has a lot to do with the immersiveness and feel of the game, movie or any other entertainment format, and always has to be credited to the creators who are able to attract a loyal fanbase. 

In any case just enjoy the game and stop nagging about a couple of extra points on metacritic cause at the end of the day, Ocarina is not loved because of its 99 on metacritic. I loved it without knowing that and its gamers who define the legacy of a game which we won't know till a few years later. Tony Hawks though, despite having a 98, is note nearly as revered. Give it time and we'll know if this Zelda game stands the test of time. From the vibes it seems it most likely will.

You know OP... you can try BOTW and judge for yourself first...

Tbh, I can sympathize with this viewpoint somewhat, because I suspect that past Zelda games have benefitted from series related nostalgia in the past (Skyward Sword with a 93), but a 98 is just too high to ignore. Something must've gone right here.