By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Without the Zelda name, Breath of the Wild would not score so well

I say fuck this thread.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Johnw1104 said:

Methinks a slightly envious Sony fanboy has been detected lol

Haha read and watch the reviews, it is hardly "glaring".

I don't get why everyone is trying to rain on Zelda's parade. When Gamespot of all people give it a 10/10 (I believe they've done that less than ten times, the previous one being Bayonetta 2 and otherwise consistently rating Nintendo's titles lower than average) you know it has to be pretty darn good.

Easy Allies' words:

Nintendo has achieved something really special with Breath of the Wild. All that’s holding it back are the glaring framerate issues So, yes, other critics are overlooking the "glaring" framerate issues.

And Gamespot has give 10/10 to 13 games, the last one being Uncharted 4 and 3 other games in 2015.

Ah, the last time I noticed them give a 10/10 was Bayonetta 2 which was (I believe) the 8th. Guess I've missed a few since then.

If you can show that most reviewers are declaring the framerate issues to be "glaring" then I'll rescind my post.

Besides, you ought to let him finish his sentence (that you oddly decided to cut off mid-way through):

"Nintendo has achieved something really special with Breath of the Wild. All that’s holding it back are the glaring framerate issues but even that's not enough to dim the greatness that shines through."

I'm pretty sure all of you here trying to find something to critcize can be summed up in one image:

lol, if Gamespot isn't with you on this one just throw in the towel and either go enjoy the game or, if you can't, let everyone else enjoy theirs. :)

Torillian said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I'm sorry but Twilight Princess deserved that score, no question about it. As for SS I understand is more divisive, but appart form the fact that is a nightmare if you ahte motion controols, the game was extremelly solid in every aspect, still wasn't as memorable as others, but I doubt that game deserved a much lower score than it had.

See how you describe SS?  "Solid".  Is something that was "extremely solid in every aspect" deserve a 93 as one of the greatest games ever made.  I just can't agree with that, and I think if any other franchise had a game where the best people could say about it was it was solid it would not get those kind of scores.  

Sorry for not answering before. Yes I describe it as solid, but how many games last gen got +90 scores just because they were very solid and ambitious? Why is this any different?

There are actually many reasons that justify its score, first of all the game makes a very impressive use of Wii hardware, some of the very best graphics of the console running always at a locked framerate, it has a beutiful and personal artstyle that looks like an impresionist picture specially when you look far on the distance, is beutiful. It also has the most complex and (for many) the best implemented use of the motion controls ever, for people that likes those it was heaven, the dungeons were high quality for the most part, the music was simply great, the story is among the best of the saga and all in all it was a really enjoyable game that used Wii hardware really well, only when time passes you realize it wasn't as memorable as other 3D Zelda games and it was kind of too formulaic, but still very good and its score totally fits with the way crtics scored last gen.

Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:

The Last of Us is only at 95.

And it wasn't the framerate the reason preventing it for more, look the remaster one year later, same score, and I found 0 reviews shitting about framerate issues in Ps3 even when it has the same or worse framerate than BoTW on WiiU let alone on Switch.

I doubt you've read all the reviews.

Lawlight said:
Goodnightmoon said:

And it wasn't the framerate the reason preventing it for more, look the remaster one year later, same score, and I found 0 reviews shitting about framerate issues in Ps3 even when it has the same or worse framerate than BoTW on WiiU let alone on Switch.

I doubt you've read all the reviews.

Back in 2013 many of them, I remember nothing about reviews lowering scores because framerate, not even mentioning.

Around the Network

Wnd this is based on?

Goodnightmoon said:
Torillian said:

See how you describe SS?  "Solid".  Is something that was "extremely solid in every aspect" deserve a 93 as one of the greatest games ever made.  I just can't agree with that, and I think if any other franchise had a game where the best people could say about it was it was solid it would not get those kind of scores.  

Sorry for not answering before. Yes I describe it as solid, but how many games last gen got +90 scores just because they were very solid and ambitious? Why is this any different?

There are actually many reasons that justify its score, first of all the game makes a very impressive use of Wii hardware, some of the very best graphics of the console running always at a locked framerate, it has a beutiful and personal artstyle that looks like an impresionist picture specially when you look far on the distance, is beutiful. It also has the most complex and (for many) the best implemented use of the motion controls ever, for people that likes those it was heaven, the dungeons were high quality for the most part, the music was simply great, the story is among the best of the saga and all in all it was a really enjoyable game that used Wii hardware really well, only when time passes you realize it wasn't as memorable as other 3D Zelda games and it was kind of too formulaic, but still very good and its score totally fits with the way crtics scored last gen.

But in your own words the controls were a nightmare. Even with that it received a 93, which in itself is a rare score.

People seem to missunderstand the concept of this thread; it is not to call Zelda a bad game, no bad game get THOSE reviews, its merely to shine light upon the problem we face in todays gaming journalism and reviews, where something as simple as a name can potentially drastically change the outcome for the game when it comes to MC-score. This is not about how one game is better than another, it is about how scores are artificially hightened by nostalgia when reviewers sees the same characters as they did growing up.

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

Locking.

While i'm willing to give Tmfwang the benefit of the doubt that this thread was made in good faith, me and CGI agree it's run its course. There is more room for discussion, but i don't think we're going to see it happen here and in this current climate.