By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Without the Zelda name, Breath of the Wild would not score so well

Grumble, I hate these sort of comments claiming people score certain games higher because of nostalgia because it seems to take away from the actually good merits of the game. Perhaps this game would have scored lower if it wasn't Zelda, or perhaps it would have scored around the same. It matters not what the game is called, but how the game is. It should be reviewed on the game alone and not on its name.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
vivster said:
Asriel said:
Fascinating that this appeared as the embargo ended, and about a game that has broken nearly every convention in a 31 year old franchise. Try harder with a troll thread, next time.

Which convention did it break again?

Open World? Basically all Zelda games.

Do dungeons in any order? Zelda 1 and others.

Bows, horses, male Link, Zelda....

To me, it broke a lot of their 3D Zelda conventions that were established with OoT.

Probably, but only to a minor extent.. there are a few Zelda games that got okay reviews and you would have to apply this logic to all big franchises then :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Wyrdness said:
areason said:

The motion controls aren't good enough to support the game's combat premise, it is executed badly, and repetitive. 

Just because you didn't have issues doing the same 2-3 movements the whole game, doesn't mean that combat doesn't have an issue. 

I go from my own experience and my own experience was that the were little to no issues in my own playthrough so don't try and tell me otherwise, you'll accept that whether you like it or not.

I've found that many of the people who complained about unresponsive controls were swinging the controller like mindless cavemen rather than doing slow casual swings and couldn't understand why things aren't going their way.

This might be off topic but I still have to agree with you on this. I never had any issues. That's because I swang the wiimote like I would swing a sword, not like I'd try to shake off some flies. My gf on the other hand had these mentioned issues, and guess what, it's because she always got hectic during battles and swirled it around like crazy.

GoOnKid said:

This might be off topic but I still have to agree with you on this. I never had any issues. That's because I swang the wiimote like I would swing a sword, not like I'd try to shake off some flies. My gf on the other hand had these mentioned issues, and guess what, it's because she always got hectic during battles and swirled it around like crazy.

The same thing when I stopped by my brother's house, you'd think he was in a table tennis match with the Flash the way he was swinging and he was having issues all the time as a result.

Around the Network

I think a more interesting question would be how Zelda would review under XOne/PS4 standards. I don't think brand name is that much of a factor, maybe 1 - 2 points at most.

PotentHerbs said:
I think a more interesting question would be how Zelda would review under XOne/PS4 standards. I don't think brand name is that much of a factor, maybe 1 - 2 points at most.

If xbox one had botw, it'd finally make my Xbox be used for more than third party games and streaming 

I agree. It'd go down to, at most, 96.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

PotentHerbs said:

What standards? What is different on XOne/PS4?

While I sort of agree with you, you kinda executed your sentence it poorly. The problem with Zelda games and the people that review Zelda is that they hold it to a different standard. I remembered back in 2015 when the Witcher 3 came out, loads of reviewers said that the Witcher 3 was the new benchmark for action RPGs. It was the new gold standard for gaming of that genre, and while I didn't read or watch the majority of Zelda reviews yet, they don't compare it to the Witcher 3. While people might say it would be stupid to compare Zelda to Witcher, Witcher 3 is still a good and solid benchmark for action RPGs. They simply compare Zelda to older Zelda games, or maybe just say something like "Other action RPGs do it like this, but Zelda does it like that" they don't compare it to other titles outside of older Zelda games. Which paints Zelda into a much higher light. It also doesn't help that pretty much every reviewer is also a fan of Zelda before, so there is going to be a bit bias from nostalgia there.