By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why doesn't Nintendo let estabished indie devs borrow their IPs ?

SpokenTruth said:
Alkibiádēs said:

You might want to read the story about Retro's early days on why it's a bad idea to lend out your flagship titles to an unproven developer. Without strict guidance from Nintendo Retro would have been a disaster.

Nintendo gets directly involved with every IP they license out.   Nobody is suggesting they hand it out, walk away and hope for the best.

Again read the story, it involves coke, hookers and more. Retro was a mess before Nintendo sorted things out. The fact that Metroid Prime turned out good is a miracle and not something that's indicative of future projects with other unproven developers. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
Mr Puggsly said:

If they do something that's in the league of NES and SNES content, the price simply needs to be lower. Like $10 or $20.

That's what many indie developers have been doing.

But then people(fans in general) would be pissed off that their favorite franchise werent given the necessary budget to make a worthwhile entry and that could damage the brand more than making nothing.So I dont think thats the answer.

Wow, you're so wrong. I can think of many notable games released for $5 to $20. Have you completely ignored the indie scene?

If Nintendo wants to make some lower budget games in the similar to their 90s games, they have to market them accordingly. They won't appeal to everyone but avid fans will get excited, very excited.

When you think about that's what many of their GBA/DS/3DS games have been, lower budget games akin to classic Nintendo games.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Nautilus said:

But then people(fans in general) would be pissed off that their favorite franchise werent given the necessary budget to make a worthwhile entry and that could damage the brand more than making nothing.So I dont think thats the answer.

Wow, you're so wrong. I can think of many notable games released for $5 to $20. Have you completely ignored the indie scene?

If Nintendo wants to make some lower budget games in the similar to their 90s games, they have to market them accordingly. They won't appeal to everyone but avid fans will get excited, very excited.

When you think about that's what many of their GBA/DS/3DS games have been, lower budget games akin to classic Nintendo games.

My point flew right through your head.I never said that indie games are bad, I personally believe that Undertale is a masterpiece for example, but that wont fit for an estabilished Nintendo IP.For better or worse, fans dont want a low budget 2D Metroid.They want a big adventure, as grand as Prime was when it was first unveiled.Or even for a 2D one, they want an ambitious one, that pushes the boundaries of the genre in every sense.They dont want a Advance Wars that plays on nostalgia alone, with graphics or gameplay that could have been done on the GBA.They want something new, that dosent feel like a "cheap" attempt by Nintendo part.They want the franchises to either revive and give a real shot at comming back(Please Nintendo, bvring Golden Sun back and do it right this time!) and have the decent budget they deserve, and thats something, along with manpower and the unwillingness to be under a big publish for a project this size, that indies simply dont have or want.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Imagine a Metroid game made by the Axiom Verge guys.. Oh boy.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Nautilus said:
Mr Puggsly said:

My point flew right through your head.I never said that indie games are bad, I personally believe that Undertale is a masterpiece for example, but that wont fit for an estabilished Nintendo IP.For better or worse, fans dont want a low budget 2D Metroid.They want a big adventure, as grand as Prime was when it was first unveiled.Or even for a 2D one, they want an ambitious one, that pushes the boundaries of the genre in every sense.They dont want a Advance Wars that plays on nostalgia alone, with graphics or gameplay that could have been done on the GBA.They want something new, that dosent feel like a "cheap" attempt by Nintendo part.They want the franchises to either revive and give a real shot at comming back(Please Nintendo, bvring Golden Sun back and do it right this time!) and have the decent budget they deserve, and thats something, along with manpower and the unwillingness to be under a big publish for a project this size, that indies simply dont have or want.

Again, you're wrong. Many of the portable Nintendo games have been akin to the 8 and 16 bit era and people love them.

Bear in mind portable Zelda games, Donkey Kong Country Returns, New Super Mario Bros, and Mario Maker have been very successful without being boundary pushing games per se. Even the NES Classic is doing very well because people still like the old school stuff.

In a nut shell, Nintendo should do some ambitious projects like Breath of the Wild and the upcoming Mario Odyssey. However, people also enjoy games that feel like 16 bit era stuff.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Nautilus said:

Again, you're wrong. Many of the portable Nintendo games have been akin to the 8 and 16 bit era and people love them.

Bear in mind portable Zelda games, Donkey Kong Country Returns, New Super Mario Bros, and Mario Maker have been very successful without being boundary pushing games per se. Even the NES Classic is doing very well because people still like the old school stuff.

In a nut shell, Nintendo should do some ambitious projects like Breath of the Wild and the upcoming Mario Odyssey. However, people also enjoy games that feel like 16 bit era stuff.

Yes, but the game would still have to bigger than what an indie developer would be confortable with, or be able to pull off.I still stand by my point that, unless its a very obscure Nintendo franchise like Star Tropics, an indie developer wouldnt be able to ultimetely deliver a game in the way that fans want.I could be wrong of course, but I stand by my point.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

Nautilus said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Yes, but the game would still have to bigger than what an indie developer would be confortable with, or be able to pull off.I still stand by my point that, unless its a very obscure Nintendo franchise like Star Tropics, an indie developer wouldnt be able to ultimetely deliver a game in the way that fans want.I could be wrong of course, but I stand by my point.

Again, you're wrong.

I get the impression you haven't played a lot of indie games.

Recently Completed

I don't think the answer is for Nintendo to exploit their heralded IPs by expanding development to let others work on them (even though they have done to a limited degree in the past). Nintendo's IPs sell fine and they usually have both great critical and financial reception.

Nintendo needs to expand its library by both making NEW IPs (yes we got Splatoon and Wii Sports, but they need more), and more importantly, they need to cater to third party developers instead of always limiting their hardware for sake of "ingenuity."

Mr Puggsly said:
Nautilus said:

Again, you're wrong.

No you are wrong.I played many indie games and I have a great idea what an endeavour creating a game like that would take.

Nautilus said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Again, you're wrong.

No you are wrong.I played many indie games and I have a great idea what an endeavour creating a game like that would take.

For years we've already seen indie teams doing content at par with 8 and 16 bit gaming.

We've even seen very ambitious games launched for $10 - $20 like Minecraft and Rocket League. So again, you're just wrong.

Recently Completed