By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why doesn't Nintendo let estabished indie devs borrow their IPs ?

I totally agree! Imagine how easily Fast RMX could be re skinned into F-Zero Neo or something like that. Name brand goes far for Nintendo fans. People who never played F-Zero would buy it because it's a Nintendo IP

Around the Network

Because maybe they like to have a hand in their own IP.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo lend their IPs to certain accomplished and proven indie developers and allow them to create either spinoffs or all new concepts while Nintendo focuses on providing new mainline installments of their franchises.

Nintendo also has some more mature IPs in their stable like Eternal Darkness and Geist that have been long dormant and I would love to see a 3rd party or indie give these franchises some new life. An Eternal Darkness 2 on the Switch would be amazing.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

the_dengle said:
Doesn't sound like a good deal to the indie devs to be honest. I think most would rather continue to develop their own brands than be treated to a one-time payday.

This is another thing I didn't bring up but is true:  the whole point of being an independent developer is independence.  As in, making your own thing.  Most indies would wilt under the restrictions of having to care for someone else's property. 

I personally want to see indies grow and become a big deal in their own rights.  I want to see IPs like Shovel Knight, Freedom Planet, Yooka-Laylee, FAST Racing, SteamWorld, Bloodstained, etc become bigger and more prominent in their own rights.   We need competition for established IPs and publishers, not for the indie sector to just get absorbed into that sector.

Nuvendil said:
SpokenTruth said:
You really don't see this type of licensing of out IPs to indie developers from either of the 3 major players or other big publishers.

Yeah, it's curious this gets brought up about Nintendo specifically.

Sony has plenty of IPs they don't do much of anything with.  No one ever said, "hey, you should reach out to Playtonics to make a new Jak and Daxter game" or something similar.  Assuming Sony kept the ownership of their IP

It's because Sony continues making more new IPs like The Order, Bloodborne, and, recently, Horizon. Thus, fans of PlayStation don't seem too worried about reviving old franchises. I mean, they tend to even brag about these new IPs, which is fine. Though they're doing a little revival with Crash so that's something.

Nintendo has tons of dormant IPs and they've revived several in the past several years through new games and/or through content in Smash or something. But then fans and critics also want them to develop new IPs so there's Steel Diver, Nintendoland, Codename Steam, Splatoon, ARMS, 1-2 Switch, Snipperclips, etc.

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
Nuvendil said:

Yeah, it's curious this gets brought up about Nintendo specifically.

Sony has plenty of IPs they don't do much of anything with.  No one ever said, "hey, you should reach out to Playtonics to make a new Jak and Daxter game" or something similar.  Assuming Sony kept the ownership of their IP

It's because Sony continues making more new IPs like The Order, Bloodborne, and, recently, Horizon. Thus, fans of PlayStation don't seem too worried about reviving old franchises. I mean, they tend to even brag about these new IPs, which is fine. Though they're doing a little revival with Crash so that's something.

Nintendo has tons of dormant IPs and they've revived several in the past several years through new games and/or through content in Smash or something. But then fans and critics also want them to develop new IPs so there's Steel Diver, Nintendoland, Codename Steam, Splatoon, ARMS, 1-2 Switch, Snipperclips, etc.

But that doesn't answer my question because Nintendo, as you pointed out, does make a lot of new IPs either themselves or in partnerships.  Red Steel, the Wii games (Sports, Fit, etc), Xenoblade, Last Story, Splatoon, Wonderful 101, Steel Diver, ARMS, Codename Steam, etc etc.  Nintendo makes new IPs and shepherds a large percentage forward, every generation has resulted in at least one new IP becoming a running franchise.  You would think, logically, Sony and MS - companies that mainly let franchises die and make new ones to take their place - would be the ones you would have people asking to farm out said IPs to indies to revive them. 

Nuvendil said:
Kai_Mao said:

But that doesn't answer my question because Nintendo, as you pointed out, does make a lot of new IPs either themselves or in partnerships.  Red Steel, the Wii games (Sports, Fit, etc), Xenoblade, Last Story, Splatoon, Wonderful 101, Steel Diver, ARMS, Codename Steam, etc etc.  Nintendo makes new IPs and shepherds a large percentage forward, every generation has resulted in at least one new IP becoming a running franchise.  You would think, logically, Sony and MS - companies that mainly let franchises die and make new ones to take their place - would be the ones you would have people asking to farm out said IPs to indies to revive them. 

Honestly, I don't know haha. I mean, especially with the money Sony has to create the PS4, VR, the Pro, the Vita, etc., you'd think they'd be ok spending more with indies or other outside publishers to develop long lost IP. Even though Nintendo has the money to stay afloat for decades, they're still primarily a video game/entertainment company with no divisions that Sony has. I guess, it's up to Sony in the end. Though I think it is a little unfair Sony doesn't get as much flack for not utilizing old properties as Nintendo is getting criticized for. Hell, Microsoft has gotten positive reception for having BC despite the fact that the Wii U has had BC since the beginning.

Mr Puggsly said:
Nautilus said:
Its more of a budget matter than anything else.Lets say you an indie developer borrows Metroid.Unless they make a 2D Metroid, everyone nowadays expects a game at the same size and scope of the Prime games, and thats a budget and manpower an indie developer dont have.

Even for games like F Zero that could be doable for an indie to develop, the ammount of effort into the game would be higher than in a game like Fast RMX, because they would need to make charachters(and assets for them), have some form of narrative, a campaign of some sort, etc.In other words, alot more work.Thats why I think it wouldnt work.

If they do something that's in the league of NES and SNES content, the price simply needs to be lower. Like $10 or $20.

That's what many indie developers have been doing.

But then people(fans in general) would be pissed off that their favorite franchise werent given the necessary budget to make a worthwhile entry and that could damage the brand more than making nothing.So I dont think thats the answer.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

That wouldn't be too smart, Indies could ruin IPs of already established series.

SpokenTruth said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Why would they lend out their flagship titles to an unproven indie developer? Lmao.

What was Retro Studios first game again?

You might want to read the story about Retro's early days on why it's a bad idea to lend out your flagship titles to an unproven developer. Without strict guidance from Nintendo Retro would have been a disaster. 

Also Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and 3D Mario sell 10 million + units with each entry. Metroid is not of that caliber by a longshot. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides