By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda: Breath of the Wild review thread - 97 on Switch, 96 on Wii U

The Skyward Sword excuse is getting really ridiculous, so there is one divisive Zelda game that had good scores which means every Zelda with good scores from now on is just OK

Even if it gets a freaking 98 x'D 

What a trap

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
DakonBlackblade said:

It is a bad thing, reviewers don't review Mario and Zelda games, they give them perfect 10s and thats it. The game might be good or it migh be simply the fact its called Zelda, its impossible to know. 

Have you ever wondered why that happens so often? Could it possibly be because these games are actually brilliant?

I mean... just look back. Tri Force Heroes scored 73. New Super Mario Bros. U scored 84. A Link Between Worlds scored 91, Super Mario 3D World scored 93.

Some of those are good scores, maybe great, even. But far from being unanymous perfect 10's across the board. The reason for that, is because these games were simply not unanymously praised. They weren't as good.

Most mainline Zelda games score around 95 because they are actually amazing games. That much is very objective. Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword - they are all fantastic games with great soundtracks, amazing level design and captivating stories. They are all much, much better than most games out there.

Still, Breath of the Wild scored above that range. Do you really think it's "just because it's Zelda"? Is it that hard to see how amazing the game truly is?

Not really. Enjoyment is purely subjective, and is based on societal factors. Depending on your circle of friends and their preferences, your preferences are probably going to be at partially influenced by them. For example, Minority Report: Everybody Runs had like a 50 on Metacritic, yet two different friends and I all owned it and it greatly influenced our enjoyment of the game. Conversevely, they don't generally get Zelda games and thus the majority of my friends of pretty apathetic towards the franchise.

Intrinsic said:
FloatingWaffles said:
A fucking 98 metacritic game on DAY ONE of a new console launch. That is fantastic.

does it count that the game is also on the WiiU, announced for the WiiU in 2013 and scheduled to release for the wiiU in  2015 and delayed until 2017?

Guess we can say the same thing about The last of Us and GTA5 also being "launch" titles......

Anywyas, let me not detract from this thread. I have to find a way to play this game.

What even is your post? Your post has no points to it, I don't even know what you were trying to convey with it.

1) This being a game also on the Wii U doesn't change the fact that this is a brand new 98 metacritic game on LAUNCH DAY of a new console. Not a port, a brand new game since it's releasing at the same time as the Wii U version. If it had released for the Wii U and then came to Switch later that would be different. And Switch is obviously the ideal way to play the game based on what has been said. 

2) Neither GTA or Last of Us were launch titles, and you can't even make that 'comparison' (It's not even a comparison) as they weren't new anymore by the time they released on PS4. Breath of the Wild is brand new on both Wii U and Switch, it releases at the same time on them. 

Also lmao @ bolded: "Let me not detract from this thread while I try to quickly downplay it somehow". Come on. 

Barozi said:
spurgeonryan said:

Same goes for me and Sony games, but what is the intent of your comment?

Because they are ... published by Sony? Does that include future titles that aren't even revealed yet or game series where you've never played a single game? Sounds like quite the generalization you make.

All I'm saying is that, even if it gets a perfect 100, I'm not going to buy a Switch for it because I've played enough Zelda games to know how the gameplay is like.

Your post proves you know nothing. Mzuzek is right

Goodnightmoon said:

The Skyward Sword excuse is getting really ridiculous, so there is one divisive Zelda game that had good scores which means every Zelda with good scores from now on is just OK

The denial is real

Well, it works both ways. I doubt that you'd argue that THPS2 is the second best game of all time, would you?

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

:D

Warned ~ CGI

can we just not, Horizon is a great game and for a team making their first RPG, getting 88 is a fantastic achievement

no need to compare them

Aerys said:
Miyamotoo said:

:D

Warned ~ CGI

This is actually real childish troll. 

To think ive Been banned for much less just for saying Zelda WiiU has Big framerate issues.

Relax, this is a just a giff.

This thread is 99% positive yet there are some people in here trying to get all touchy touchy. Like they've a vendetta or a grudge to avenge. Just be happy you got a good game.

Congrats Zelda on another successful edition to your series. One game isn't enough to make me buy a console but I'm happy for all the series fans who will.

Goodnightmoon said:

What a trap

But at thé same Time its ridiculous to think a game with 98 cant have mixed opinions, à lot of people didnt like GTA IV for example. 

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

mZuzek said:
Intrinsic said:

does it count that the game is also on the WiiU, announced for the WiiU in 2013 and scheduled to release for the wiiU in  2015 and delayed until 2017?

Guess we can say the same thing about The last of Us and GTA5 also being "launch" titles......

You say that like the game would have been a 98 if it had released in 2015.

Nope... I said that like its not that big of a deal it being a "launch" game when you consider the game has been delayed for around 2 years.

That would have been the equivalent of releasing the last gaurdian with the PS4.... doesn't take away that it was delayed forvever.

Also not that big a deal when you consider that its a "nintendo" exclusive as opposed to be a switch exclusive. Its also on the WiiU..... lets not act like that platform doesn't exist too.