By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Looks like the Switch is sold out "everywhere."

bunchanumbers said:
pray4mojo said:

I'm in the same boat (been playing their consoles since the mid 80's) but feel the complete opposite way about the Switch. It's the closest we've gotten to a core console since the Gamecube imo. Just because it's also portable (if you want it to be) doesn't really change that for me. I view it as something of an added feature. No one is making anyone remove it from the dock. You can buy the pro controller and play just about every game with it. Everything about this console feels like a return to form imo. 

I'm glad you feel this way. But to me it feels like they gave up and took a blatant grab at the casual crowd while continuing to ignore the user base that have supported them for decades. Ever since the Wii they have been looking for the next gimmick that will put them over the top instead of making a wide variety of quality games and experiences. And the peripherals. Always with the peripherals. Even back in the day. Lets say I wanna play FF: Crystal Chronicles on GCN with my friends. I need 4 GBAs, 4 GCN to GBA adapters. Or to get the most out of many different games I needed something else entirely. I bought Xenoblade Chronicles, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a new world, and Skyward Sword. All 3 needed different things. I wanted to play Tales with a GCN controller like I did with the original. Instead I needed Wiimote and Nunchuck. Then for Xenoblade Chronicles, I needed the Classic Controller, and for Skyward Sword, the Wiimote and Nunchuck I bought at launch was worthless since I needed the Wiimote Plus add on or a entirely new controller.

Now its Joycons with Joycon grips, and joycon chargers and pro controllers all at outrageous prices. And watch. 3 years from now we'll have a 'New' Nintendo Switch with Joycon Plus controllers that have HD Rumble Plus which renders all the launch peripherals obsolete. Its tough to have to buy all this crap just to play Nintendo games. GCN was probably the last console they made where you didn't need a ton of crap to play most of their games.

Meanwhile they ignore the things that made PlayStation a success which was consistency and having more than one purpose. And they continue to do this with Switch. Nintendo thinks of 50 different peripherals to sell but won't put Netfflix on a tablet that every other tablet in the world has. Stuff like that is disappointing. I won't be surprised in the least if a week after launch, there is a massive selloff of Switch machines when they buy Switch, and Zelda and realize that there isn't anything there after they beat Zelda.

I'm glad they aren't pulling a Sony. How much money has Sony's gaming division made compared to Nintendo? I mean, do you know how many more years in the black Nintendo has been over the last 30 years compared to Sony? As a gaming company, Nintendo has been much better at doing what businesses are suppose to do which is to make money. 

Another thing I'm happy about when you're talking about those two is how Nintendo doesn't release three console generations with (basically) the same freakin' controller. Yes, PS1 and PS2 were amazing and those consoles had great games which I really enjoyed. They were awesome. But apart from the advent of online gaming, PS1-PS4 all feel the same to me. GTA 5 is just GTA 3 with online and modern tech. It's all just very "samey". Now, if someone is in their early 20's or teens, ok... I get it. PS4 is probably going to be very exciting to them. But for people my age, the whole mature, dark themed shooters and bullshit got old years ago. I can't play COD for more than one night before it's inducing yawns. I can't play Madden anymore. I can't play The Last of Us or Uncharted anymore. It's all the same damn thing over and over and over again. And a good part of that? It's the controller! You basically play Uncharted and The Last of Us in the same way you played Syphon Filter 1 or Metal Gear Solid. It's just... way too worn out for me. When you compare Gamecube/Wii/Wii-U and now Switch... it's a totally fresh way to game each and every time. I like that. I wouldn't really play games anymore if Nintendo had released the same console with newer specs every 5 years with the same controller. 

You're entitled to your opinion and I respect it. You've got a good rep and I understand your complaints... but I don't share them. I know nothing I say will really matter to you or help you out but maybe if you sat back for a minute and rethought why you're here, you'd be able to come to a slightly less cynical point of view. When we were 8, we played because it was something fun to do. That was it... it was fun. At the end of the day, that's all it's about. The specs, machine, controller... none of it matters. It's easy to get caught up into what gaming "should be" etc. and lose sight of that. I know I did at one point but now, I just want fun games to play that still excite and surprise me. Nintendo is really the only developer left that can do that for me.

Around the Network

They are doing everything right this time, hopefully they aren't punished to hard because of how they failed with the WiiU

Raistline said:
Nintendo is DOOOMED I tell you, DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

The Wii U sold 2m at launch. It means nothing.

pray4mojo said:

I'm glad they aren't pulling a Sony. How much money has Sony's gaming division made compared to Nintendo? I mean, do you know how many more years in the black Nintendo has been over the last 30 years compared to Sony? As a gaming company, Nintendo has been much better at doing what businesses are suppose to do which is to make money. 

Another thing I'm happy about when you're talking about those two is how Nintendo doesn't release three console generations with (basically) the same freakin' controller. Yes, PS1 and PS2 were amazing and those consoles had great games which I really enjoyed. They were awesome. But apart from the advent of online gaming, PS1-PS4 all feel the same to me. GTA 5 is just GTA 3 with online and modern tech. It's all just very "samey". Now, if someone is in their early 20's or teens, ok... I get it. PS4 is probably going to be very exciting to them. But for people my age, the whole mature, dark themed shooters and bullshit got old years ago. I can't play COD for more than one night before it's inducing yawns. I can't play Madden anymore. I can't play The Last of Us or Uncharted anymore. It's all the same damn thing over and over and over again. And a good part of that? It's the controller! You basically play Uncharted and The Last of Us in the same way you played Syphon Filter 1 or Metal Gear Solid. It's just... way too worn out for me. When you compare Gamecube/Wii/Wii-U and now Switch... it's a totally fresh way to game each and every time. I like that. I wouldn't really play games anymore if Nintendo had released the same console with newer specs every 5 years with the same controller. 

You're entitled to your opinion and I respect it. You've got a good rep and I understand your complaints... but I don't share them. I know nothing I say will really matter to you or help you out but maybe if you sat back for a minute and rethought why you're here, you'd be able to come to a slightly less cynical point of view. When we were 8, we played because it was something fun to do. That was it... it was fun. At the end of the day, that's all it's about. The specs, machine, controller... none of it matters. It's easy to get caught up into what gaming "should be" etc. and lose sight of that. I know I did at one point but now, I just want fun games to play that still excite and surprise me. Nintendo is really the only developer left that can do that for me.

And I thought I was the only one feeling that way. Yes, most games tend to get old really fast for me too. It also happens with Nintendo titles (especially Mario jump & runs), but far less so in general. That's why I'm mostly playing indie titles, they at least still have both the magic and new ideas which keep me going. My gaming PC is 6 tears old by now, but it still plays most things I want to play smoothly because most AAA Games don't interest me anymore. I have over 350 games on GOG, on steam? 58, with only 45 being actually installed and half of them are VN. The rest are mostly from Kickstarter and some gifts I got. I really don't need a PS4 or Xbox one, there's literally nothing for me to play on these. On my Wii U, I have over 40 games, and I will certainly buy the Switch, because they are different and don't deliver the same old same old

pray4mojo said:

GTA 5 is just GTA 3 with online and modern tech. It's all just very "samey". 

Around the Network
pray4mojo said:
bunchanumbers said:

I'm glad you feel this way. But to me it feels like they gave up and took a blatant grab at the casual crowd while continuing to ignore the user base that have supported them for decades. Ever since the Wii they have been looking for the next gimmick that will put them over the top instead of making a wide variety of quality games and experiences. And the peripherals. Always with the peripherals. Even back in the day. Lets say I wanna play FF: Crystal Chronicles on GCN with my friends. I need 4 GBAs, 4 GCN to GBA adapters. Or to get the most out of many different games I needed something else entirely. I bought Xenoblade Chronicles, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a new world, and Skyward Sword. All 3 needed different things. I wanted to play Tales with a GCN controller like I did with the original. Instead I needed Wiimote and Nunchuck. Then for Xenoblade Chronicles, I needed the Classic Controller, and for Skyward Sword, the Wiimote and Nunchuck I bought at launch was worthless since I needed the Wiimote Plus add on or a entirely new controller.

Now its Joycons with Joycon grips, and joycon chargers and pro controllers all at outrageous prices. And watch. 3 years from now we'll have a 'New' Nintendo Switch with Joycon Plus controllers that have HD Rumble Plus which renders all the launch peripherals obsolete. Its tough to have to buy all this crap just to play Nintendo games. GCN was probably the last console they made where you didn't need a ton of crap to play most of their games.

Meanwhile they ignore the things that made PlayStation a success which was consistency and having more than one purpose. And they continue to do this with Switch. Nintendo thinks of 50 different peripherals to sell but won't put Netfflix on a tablet that every other tablet in the world has. Stuff like that is disappointing. I won't be surprised in the least if a week after launch, there is a massive selloff of Switch machines when they buy Switch, and Zelda and realize that there isn't anything there after they beat Zelda.

But they kinda did. Joycons are a mix of wiimotes and SNES controllers. You've played this way before back in 1991 and 15 years later in 2006. I doubt you're getting new ways to play this time. Not only that, the hardware is far weaker than any other console maker. Switch is basically the same console with slightly newer specs with a controller that is half snes/half Wiimote.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

And I thought I was the only one feeling that way. Yes, most games tend to get old really fast for me too. It also happens with Nintendo titles (especially Mario jump & runs), but far less so in general. That's why I'm mostly playing indie titles, they at least still have both the magic and new ideas which keep me going. My gaming PC is 6 tears old by now, but it still plays most things I want to play smoothly because most AAA Games don't interest me anymore. I have over 350 games on GOG, on steam? 58, with only 45 being actually installed and half of them are VN. The rest are mostly from Kickstarter and some gifts I got. I really don't need a PS4 or Xbox one, there's literally nothing for me to play on these. On my Wii U, I have over 40 games, and I will certainly buy the Switch, because they are different and don't deliver the same old same old

Nope, there are definitely plenty that feel the same way, it's just that the people that usually frequent message boards tend to favor the big industry games they keep shoveling out. I like some of the more open world modern mainstream games that encourage you to explore and do your own thing, but the ones that feel more like interactive movies - the corridor laden games with endless cutscenes and dialouge and overly complex control schemes just don't do it for me anyone. They just feel like dull and predictable - like they're following a formula. And it's not like all Nintendo games do it for me either because I find many of them boring these days too, though they at least try to put a creative twist to most their games (though sometimes it fails miserably like the new Star Fox). Modern Nintendo doesn't beat oldschool Nintendo IMO, but even modern Nintendo more often than not beats most of the modern AAA industry games.

I'm definitely getting more into indie games lately. Initially I started playing many of them because I have to review indies for a gaming site but I've discovered some really fun gems hidden amongst the clutter, many with some really cool ideas - although I do feel like too many of them either go to artsy fartsy or are overdoing the whole 8/16 bit retro thing.. Overall though, a good portion of the spark of innovation and interesting gameplay these days seems to either be coming from Nintendo, and particularly from some indies. That's part of the reason I'm excited about the Switch, because it highlights both. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Already resigned myself to the fact that I'm not getting one until summer at the earliest. Or whenever Nintendo replenishes stock to meet the demand. Le sigh. Maybe I'll be able to nab one at a local Target or something.

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

Goodnightmoon said:

At this point one has to question if this was really artificial scarcity or an actual huge demand.

2million units manufactured and planned shipped for the first month.

Pre-orders to stores are probably limited to at most half of that. Nintendo want stores to actually have a few units on launch day.

So yeah world wide, if everyone keeps their preorders, its probably already at 1m units sold.

Demand is there for now, but theres are core nintendo gamers that will always day1, and most of that demand if most likely from them.

The question becomes how it sells after its first year, and the core nintendo guys have gotten one.

Nem said:
Raistline said:

This needs remembering too.

Wii U did well at launch as well, because of the core nintendo guys all getting it.

Nem said:
Raistline said:

No, it only sold 1.4 million at launch. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides