By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Looks like the Switch is sold out "everywhere."

Raistline said:
Nintendo is DOOOMED I tell you, DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Around the Network
FragilE^ said:
Raistline said:
Nintendo is DOOOMED I tell you, DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Don't ask....

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

JRPGfan said:

Nem said:

The Wii U sold 2m at launch. It means nothing.

This needs remembering too.

Wii U did well at launch as well, because of the core nintendo guys all getting it.

Except Wii U didn't sell 2m at launch it sold something like 1.5m.

I should hope so.

“The Wii U is effectively sold out at retail (and) we are gratified by the consumer response,” Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America said in an interview.

The results are “comparable” to Wii sales in its first week in 2006, but it was early to do an apples-to-apples comparison, Fils-Aime said.

“At this point in the life of the Wii U, its sales are based on how quickly we can get the product to retailers,” he added.

Barkley said:
I should hope so.

“The Wii U is effectively sold out at retail (and) we are gratified by the consumer response,” Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America said in an interview.

The results are “comparable” to Wii sales in its first week in 2006, but it was early to do an apples-to-apples comparison, Fils-Aime said.

“At this point in the life of the Wii U, its sales are based on how quickly we can get the product to retailers,” he added.

The Wii U wasn't sold out though, I always saw units lying on store shelves, even during the launch period. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
JRPGfan said:

This needs remembering too.

Wii U did well at launch as well, because of the core nintendo guys all getting it.

Except Wii U didn't sell 2m at launch it sold something like 1.5m.

And if I were to add something, it also came out in November into December, being the holidays/Christmas time where people had more money in their pockets to buy stuff, while the Switch is launching in March.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Alkibiádēs said:
Barkley said:
I should hope so.

The Wii U wasn't sold out though, I always saw units lying on store shelves, even during the launch period. 

Me, too. Every store I went to had a bunch of them lying around and that was before xmas. It was just a bad start.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Bofferbrauer2 said:
pray4mojo said:

I'm glad they aren't pulling a Sony. How much money has Sony's gaming division made compared to Nintendo? I mean, do you know how many more years in the black Nintendo has been over the last 30 years compared to Sony? As a gaming company, Nintendo has been much better at doing what businesses are suppose to do which is to make money. 

Another thing I'm happy about when you're talking about those two is how Nintendo doesn't release three console generations with (basically) the same freakin' controller. Yes, PS1 and PS2 were amazing and those consoles had great games which I really enjoyed. They were awesome. But apart from the advent of online gaming, PS1-PS4 all feel the same to me. GTA 5 is just GTA 3 with online and modern tech. It's all just very "samey". Now, if someone is in their early 20's or teens, ok... I get it. PS4 is probably going to be very exciting to them. But for people my age, the whole mature, dark themed shooters and bullshit got old years ago. I can't play COD for more than one night before it's inducing yawns. I can't play Madden anymore. I can't play The Last of Us or Uncharted anymore. It's all the same damn thing over and over and over again. And a good part of that? It's the controller! You basically play Uncharted and The Last of Us in the same way you played Syphon Filter 1 or Metal Gear Solid. It's just... way too worn out for me. When you compare Gamecube/Wii/Wii-U and now Switch... it's a totally fresh way to game each and every time. I like that. I wouldn't really play games anymore if Nintendo had released the same console with newer specs every 5 years with the same controller. 

You're entitled to your opinion and I respect it. You've got a good rep and I understand your complaints... but I don't share them. I know nothing I say will really matter to you or help you out but maybe if you sat back for a minute and rethought why you're here, you'd be able to come to a slightly less cynical point of view. When we were 8, we played because it was something fun to do. That was it... it was fun. At the end of the day, that's all it's about. The specs, machine, controller... none of it matters. It's easy to get caught up into what gaming "should be" etc. and lose sight of that. I know I did at one point but now, I just want fun games to play that still excite and surprise me. Nintendo is really the only developer left that can do that for me.

And I thought I was the only one feeling that way. Yes, most games tend to get old really fast for me too. It also happens with Nintendo titles (especially Mario jump & runs), but far less so in general. That's why I'm mostly playing indie titles, they at least still have both the magic and new ideas which keep me going. My gaming PC is 6 tears old by now, but it still plays most things I want to play smoothly because most AAA Games don't interest me anymore. I have over 350 games on GOG, on steam? 58, with only 45 being actually installed and half of them are VN. The rest are mostly from Kickstarter and some gifts I got. I really don't need a PS4 or Xbox one, there's literally nothing for me to play on these. On my Wii U, I have over 40 games, and I will certainly buy the Switch, because they are different and don't deliver the same old same old

I totally agree with you on indie titles. There was so much win as far as originality goes with those games over the last couple generations that it totally kept me entertained without the need for AAA games. When I think about which games I enjoyed the most? Apart from Nintendo, indie's are the ones that come to mind. 

Truthfully ,I think that the Nintendo Switch will be a massive success for Nintendo. I doubt it will be as successful as either the XboxOne or the PS4 but it does not need to be.

The biggest failing with the WiiU was that no one aside from avid gamers even knew it was a separate system. Which made it a really hard sell to parents who want to know why they would need to buy another Wii when the one they already have works just fine. There was almost no marketing for it and as a result there was no support from anyone but Nintendo.

The Switch already has a larger following. More people know about it. It has an entirely new name so there is no confusion. Finally the core idea behind it and it being a hybrid is an incredible selling point. Think of it from a parents point of view. They won't have to buy their kids a Nintendo 3DS for car trips. When they want to watch TV and the kid wants to play games the kid just goes portable. When the parents aren't watching TV the kid can have a gay old time using it in Console mode. Granted the WiiU had this ability too, but no one really knew about it and again, few people even knew the WiiU was not just a Wii.

My Nintendo is DOOOOMED comment was just satire incase no one picked up on it.

This reminds me WiiU launch .

Also, i didnt know " in America " meant "everywhere "

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m