By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA projecting 3m launch sales for Mass Effect Andromeda

3 million shipped? No problem. It will easily do it. ME:A has a fairly big amount of hype behind it.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
Angelus said:

I didn't say anything about Bioware not being innovative or creative. They're one of my 2 favorite developers, and not for lack of those qualities. I'm simply telling you that Dragon Age is not some grand franchise of experiments. They have had a vision for it, it was briefly thrown into chaos by the EA takeover, and now it's gotten back on track. Something both Bioware and EA are very happy about. The next game isn't going to shock anyone.

*sigh* I understand that. I apologies if I took that remark the wrong way. I just really hope you don't get let down based on your expectations. Are you aware of what is going on at BioWare? Where their focus is set at this time? Do you also know that the lead writer of DA David Gaider isn't there anymore correct? He went over to rejoin some of his ex-BioWare mates at BeamDog right?

Also you speak very salty of EA in tandem with BioWare. There really is no need to be. Sure... there's some shitty mistakes but most of that is the past. The DA2 thing was unfortunate and at least EA didn't actually go ahead and make all those ridiculous companies using the BioWare name as a seal of quality like they were planning to do with that Command and Conquer game. Now that was straight up bullshit and a complete dick move, a low blow that EA actually backed off from and never proceeded with. Something to be thankful for.

haxxiy said:
hudsoniscool said:
I don't get why biowares name gets shit on. They consistently put out quality games.
Dragon age 3- 89 meta
Mass effect 3- 93
The old republic-85
Mass effect 2- 96
Dragon age 1- 91
Mass effect 1- 91
Only exception to the last decade is dragon age 2.

I laugh at anyone who says me3 was worse than resident e 6. The ending got a lot of flack but that's because the series was trying to do something no one else has even tried. They came up short but they tried. Mass effect 1 is ahead of a lot of 2015-2016 games in a few areas.

ME - 87 X360 / 86 PC / 83 PS3
DA:O - 79 X360 / 86 PC / 79 PS3
ME2 - 89 X360 / 88 PC / 85 PS3
DA2 - 45 X360 / 45 PC / 43 PS3
ME3 - 58 X360 / 55 PC / 56 PS3 / 76 Wii U
DA:I - 51 X360 / 59 PC /  52 PS3 / 74 PS4 /  69 XOne

Apparently the user reviews don't agree much with the statement "they consistenly put out quality games", though arguably ME3 scores are depressed by some points because a lot of them came before the extended ending.

OT - I'm afraid Mass Effect: Andromeda will basically end up sort of like Dragon Age: Inquisition, "but on space!". Which would mean it sucks. So I'll wait and see.

Lol user reviews on meta mean nothing. Almost every game is like that. They put out quality stuff or there games wouldn't have reviewed so well. They have received countless game of the year awards over the last 15 years.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Doesn't seem that impossible to do to me.

Airaku said:
Angelus said:

I didn't say anything about Bioware not being innovative or creative. They're one of my 2 favorite developers, and not for lack of those qualities. I'm simply telling you that Dragon Age is not some grand franchise of experiments. They have had a vision for it, it was briefly thrown into chaos by the EA takeover, and now it's gotten back on track. Something both Bioware and EA are very happy about. The next game isn't going to shock anyone.

*sigh* I understand that. I apologies if I took that remark the wrong way. I just really hope you don't get let down based on your expectations. Are you aware of what is going on at BioWare? Where their focus is set at this time? Do you also know that the lead writer of DA David Gaider isn't there anymore correct? He went over to rejoin some of his ex-BioWare mates at BeamDog right?

Also you speak very salty of EA in tandem with BioWare. There really is no need to be. Sure... there's some shitty mistakes but most of that is the past. The DA2 thing was unfortunate and at least EA didn't actually go ahead and make all those ridiculous companies using the BioWare name as a seal of quality like they were planning to do with that Command and Conquer game. Now that was straight up bullshit and a complete dick move, a low blow that EA actually backed off from and never proceeded with. Something to be thankful for.

I'm not salty with EA at all, I actually think they catch a lot of undue flack from people. They're one of the best quality publishers in the business, these days more so than perhaps ever before. DA2 is just the only thing they're responsive got that ever really rubbed me the wrong way.

And yes I'm very aware of what's going on at Bioware. Perhaps I should clarify my statement, or should have done so before since you falsely assumed DA2 to be envisioned as a spin off....when I say the next DA game will not shock anyone, I'm referring to the next mainline game. The franchise being in a healthy place now, there's chances for EA and Bioware to create actual spin offs if they so choose, but that doesn't deviate DA4 from it's course, beyond perhaps time table.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Probably has a chance to do that since it's the last big game coming out from March.

Wonder if Horizon Zero Dawn and Zelda: Breath of Wild will hurt it's sells though.

Horizon looks like one of the best ps exclusives in a long time. With that said it's ME which I think is the best game series of all time so that's what I'll be getting first.

Airaku said:
SvennoJ said:

ME2 was indeed a bit disappointing after the first one. The main plot felt non existent and while some of the characters were interesting, the gameplay mechanics got old pretty fast for me. I played the demo for ME3, did not like it at all. Then the whole uproar over then ending broke out which also made it practically impossible to avoid major plot spoilers. Hearing it all leads up to some nonsense deus ex machina ending was the final straw.

Since then I have read the excellent Revelation space series, which I realized is what Mass Effect is pretty much based on. Except Alastair Reynolds' original version is so much better.

I loved the first game, so I'm not ruling Andromeda out just yet. But I'm very hesitant to get back into ME. Is it going to be another start of a disappointing trilogy, or maybe a great standalone game with a new original sci-fi story. I haven't followed it at all, so no clue.

Hmm may I ask what you didn't like about ME3? Was it the gameplay or something else? I haven't tried the demo myself but if the classes are limited and everything else.... ugh! Gameplay wise I think it's the best. A lot like ME1 without all the weapon limitation but you'd get status debuffs if you go over weight and stuff. Fantastic mechanics, plot, and just over all atmosphere.

As for the ending being a Deus Ex Machina... it kind of is... but at the same time it really is not. There's a lot of interesting theories out there and ironically it's a very misunderstood ending which is deeply saddening in my humble opinion. I personally rank it up there with one of my all time favorite endings in a video game. It's straight up there with the whole Metal Gear Solid series, Tales of Symphonia, Revelations 2, and a few others. Such rich and raw emotions that come from an underlying message in the theme that flies out into the hearts and minds of the player, but there is no holding the players hand and explaining everything, and that's being nice as to if you believe the ambiguity is anything. The answers are in details from your journey across the trilogy as you save the galaxy from the ultimate threat.

I will say that there may be a couple retcons in the series which tack on to this confusion, believe me. The challenge of creating large games and a coherent story is easier said than done. If you have no game, you have no story. There's so many factors here and sometimes directions get changed. A good prime example of this with ME1 transitioning to ME2 the Inusannon and Thoi'han were scrapped races that were MAJOR plot points. If you recall ME1 the Inusannon were the Protheans. They made those pyramids, artifacts, you see them in your vision, and you see them on their world Ilos. In ME2 this was changed and the Collectors became the Protheans and it was very poorly written in the since that the Inusannon's were now the Protheans to the Protheans and the Collector Protheans were kind of an imperialistic master race who ruled the Galaxy and they stole technology and knowledge form other races. Hell, you either joined them if they deemed you worthy enough or the squashed you. This is a major key plot device from ME2 that was briefly explained if you don't dig in and it has huge implications on a potential choice in ME3. ME2 played heavily on themes like Lovecraftian philosophy. Then there's a problem that there were about 3 or 4 different endings being considered. The Dark Matter ending is quite well known and the seeds for the much speculated Indoctrination Theory were planted for that ending. Which is unfortunately not canon nor a fact! However thanks to the whole head cannon talk *rolls eyes* it can be if that's your story! I mean hell, The Illusive Man was also planned to be the final boss at one point. *sighs* It's heart breaking it comes to this.

It started with ME2. First of all I had to start with a generic origin story as I had lost my ME1 save due to rrod. ME2 focused more on the shooter aspect which I wasn't really into, and the universe seemed to be filled with warehouse like structures containing chest high walls. The story parts were still good, but the gameplay became tedious to me rather than fun. The planet scanning mini game was horrible, so I skipped it. The game punished me for that by killing one of my favorite characters on approach to the final mission without any choice in the matter. Apart from going all the way back and be forced to do the stupid mini game. Well F that. I finished the game and deleted my save, wasn't happy with it.

When I heard there was a story focused mode in ME3 I was interested again. However the demo made it clear that it was mostly a joke, merely turning the difficulty down instead of removing the repetitive corridor shootouts. The demo looked just like a shooter to me, more chest high walls, lot more fighting with cutscenes. Perhaps a bad choice of demo, but if that was what they wanted to present the game with, then it wasn't for me. That plus more going around about another meta mini game that might be required for a good ending and ofcourse all the uproar over the ending itself.

When everything had settled down I figured I would play the trilogy one day in a remaster, not remembering much of what was going on anymore anyway. The remaster is still not here, and frankly, going through all those tedious battle sequences doesn't sound all that enticing. ME1 was just right in the action vs exploration balance for me. ME2 wasn't and ME3 looked even more action focused. Plus my backlog has only grown since then, there are better things to play now.

And all those things about the story and ME universe, it was allright yet all a bit cliche. I've been reading sci-fi all my life so to me it was mostly a reminder of how limited world building story telling is in games. ME1 had a really promising start, yet the second one dropped the ball already.

Shipped sure.

SvennoJ said:

It started with ME2. First of all I had to start with a generic origin story as I had lost my ME1 save due to rrod. ME2 focused more on the shooter aspect which I wasn't really into, and the universe seemed to be filled with warehouse like structures containing chest high walls. The story parts were still good, but the gameplay became tedious to me rather than fun. The planet scanning mini game was horrible, so I skipped it. The game punished me for that by killing one of my favorite characters on approach to the final mission without any choice in the matter. Apart from going all the way back and be forced to do the stupid mini game. Well F that. I finished the game and deleted my save, wasn't happy with it.

When I heard there was a story focused mode in ME3 I was interested again. However the demo made it clear that it was mostly a joke, merely turning the difficulty down instead of removing the repetitive corridor shootouts. The demo looked just like a shooter to me, more chest high walls, lot more fighting with cutscenes. Perhaps a bad choice of demo, but if that was what they wanted to present the game with, then it wasn't for me. That plus more going around about another meta mini game that might be required for a good ending and ofcourse all the uproar over the ending itself.

When everything had settled down I figured I would play the trilogy one day in a remaster, not remembering much of what was going on anymore anyway. The remaster is still not here, and frankly, going through all those tedious battle sequences doesn't sound all that enticing. ME1 was just right in the action vs exploration balance for me. ME2 wasn't and ME3 looked even more action focused. Plus my backlog has only grown since then, there are better things to play now.

And all those things about the story and ME universe, it was allright yet all a bit cliche. I've been reading sci-fi all my life so to me it was mostly a reminder of how limited world building story telling is in games. ME1 had a really promising start, yet the second one dropped the ball already.

That's a very interesting story. I also had an RRoD before ME2 came out and lost all my save data. I was really upset about this, though ironically it all played out for me with my story. The intro of ME2 where Shepard basically dies and is revived was kind of a beautiful metaphor of that experience for me. I made some alters to my characters appearance, while making other things the same. I swapped from Renegade to Paragon and other things. In retrospect fitted my experience with the story to my RRoD and it was quite poetic for me. So I truly do understand your frustration with that, but you got to make that stuff work. It's not BioWare's fault that Microsoft sold us faulty hardware...

I agree that the mining mini game was boring. I've spoken out on that before. Thankfully it was only really prominent in ME2. Andromeda will see the return of planetary exploration in the new version of the Mako like ME1 had. Something that I am really excited for. It will also have a new mechanic of scanning objects like you can do in Metroid Prime.

As for the ME3 demo. That sounds interesting. I would argue that ME2 is by far the easiest game in the series! ME3 is definitely a jump in difficulty over ME2. Much closer to ME1, I couldn't really say which of the two is harder to be honest. ME3 had encounters that were well designed that were hard for some classes, while easier for another. It's interesting to hear other people say what part was difficult for them in ME3 because their answer seems to vary with their class and playstyle. I've heard many people actually state that ME3 is by far the hardest game in the series. Though I suppose there are parts that would top ME1 thanks to the A.I. and the placements. ME2 on the other hand has maybe one difficult part in the whole game imho. It was really easy.
So I did go and look up the demo. Apparently it's the first mission (Vancouver) which is more of a cinematic escape experience. Yeah... the enemies don't really do much against you as it's a tutorial level. The other level is the beginning part of the Salarian world which wasn't a difficult level, but it was very engaging and emotional in terms of story. Lots of tears were shed there. I for one doubt the demo gets that far in the level. It appears that those weren't really good showcases. They should have gone with the Academy mission for the demo. Hmmm, well... I can't argue with your argument about the demo giving a good taste of the gameplay.
As for the ME3 demo. That sounds interesting. I would argue that ME2 is by far the easiest game in the series! ME3 is defaintely a jump in difficulty over ME2. Much closer to ME1, I couldn't really say which of the two is harder to be honest. ME3 had encounters that were well designed that were hard for some classes, while easier for another. It's interesting to hear other people say what part was difficult for them in ME3 because their answer seems to vairy with their class and playstyle. I've heard many people actaully state that ME3 is by far the hardest game in the series. Though I suppose there are parts that would top ME1 thanks to the A.I. and the placements. ME2 on the other hand has maybe one difficult part in the whole game imho. It was really easy.
So I did go and look up the demo. Apparently it's the first mission (Vancouver) which is more of a cinamatic escape experince. Yeah... the enemies don't really do much against you as it's a turtorial level. The other level is the begining part of the Salarian world which wasn't a difficult level, but it was very engaging and emotional in terms of story. Lots of tears were shed there. I for one doubt the demo gets that far in the level. It appears that those weren't really good showcases. They should have gone with the Academy mission for the demo. Hmmm, well... I can't argue with your arguement about the demo giving a good taste of the gameplay.

shit, it'll do 3 million on PS4 alone

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.