By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 release date predicted...

Intrinsic said:
I called this.... I also think the soonest we see the PS5 will be in 2020.

And that is if and only if the tech that it needs to exist is even available by then.

I probably sound like a broken record now; but as i keep saying, the PS5 hinges on a shift from the current 14nm fabrication process (that makes the PS4pro possible) to at least a 10nm/7nm fabrication process. That is important because it means they will be able to fit at least a 12-16TF GPU in an APU in a case the size of the PS4pro.

If anyone wants to know how close we are to the PS5.... just look at chip fabrication tech from the likes of TSCM and whatever 7nm based GPU AMD announces in the next 2-3years.

Navi should be out by 2019 for the regular consumer according to AMD's roadmap (was supposed to come out in 2018 until not that long ago) but obviously the release date will depend in how MS positions their new console.

If they do a clean break from the XB1 I'm sure they will have the PS5 not more than 1 year after the Scorpio.

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:

Navi should be out by 2019 for the regular consumer according to AMD's roadmap (was supposed to come out in 2018 until not that long ago) but obviously the release date will depend in how MS positions their new console.

If they do a clean break from the XB1 I'm sure they will have the PS5 not more than 1 year after the Scorpio.

MS having a clean break from the XB1 in 2017 with the scorpio is the single worst thing MS can do for the XBox brand. It will be a disaster. reason being that with the currently rumoured specs, regardless of what MS PR may want people to think. The scorpio is nowhere near powerful enough to mark a next gen jump in performance from the PS4/PS4pro.

As for Navi, AMD and Global foundries announced last year that they expect to begin "risk" production in 2018. But also said that they expect to to have Zen+, Vega 20 and Navi chips on helves by 2020. That descripency from 2018-2020 is because risk production is just glorified speak for extremely low yeild and expensive fabrication. Until they iron out all the fabrication kinks.

If sony/MS intend on using Navi for their next gen consoles, then they have to wait till that fabrication tech becomes mainstream. And thats why i said at its soonest it will be 2020. 

Holidays 2019

I'll wait for the PS5 Pro this time. No point anymore in buying at launch.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
I'll wait for the PS5 Pro this time. No point anymore in buying at launch.

Unless you want to play new games... or don't want to wait 3 years.

Around the Network

IMO 2019 is a pretty good best this time around. Except if we see a second revision on Sony's part. I mean the Pro gave a pretty good boost, but it seems that the Slim is the one that makes the bulk of the sales.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

ps4: 2013
ps4 pro: 2016
ps5: 2019
ps5 pro: 2022
ps6: 2025
ps6 pro: 2028

regardless of what sony marketed the ps4 pro as they are still going the iterative hardware route. sony won't mandate that ps5 games also support ps4 but due to reasons most 3rd party AAA games will still support ps4 pro and smaller titles will target ps4 anyways for at least a few years.

I agree with Pachter for once. I think they'll announce it 2019 release 2020.

If we've learned anything this gen, it's that the companies are not shy to release before a tech is ready and then release another upgrade system. I'm gunna go with 2019 with a 2021 upgrade sytem.

So PS5 in 2019 or 2021.