By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Old-School Fans Rejoice, Resident Evil Has Returned to its Roots

Tagged games:

So I played and beat Resident Evil 7 this weekend, and I want to pass along some impressions specfically geared to those who played and disliked the demo.

When I played the demo, I was uneasy, anxious, at times terrified. However, I thought it all too similar to games like Outlast and Amnesia. I felt like Capcom was overcompensating for the high-octane action in Resident Evils 4-6. And, indeed, the first hour of RE7 plays very much like those aforementioned first-person horror games. The hero Ethan is essentially helpless and must sneak around to survive. It was an OK experience but other games have done this kind of thing better. 

About an hour into the game, things open up. Ethan finds weapons, ammo (not much of it), herbs, and other items to keep him alive. The game introduces puzzles and hidden items. There's combat. There are boss encounters. There's item crafting. Gradually I realized that Resident Evil 7 is very much a love letter to the original Resident Evil, only set in a first-person perspective.

So, if you crave the old-school RE experience, don't let the first hour of Resident Evil 7 fool you. There are about 11 more hours of pure RE goodness after that

tl;dr version: after the first hour, RE7 turns into the old-school survival-horror action-adventure we know and love.

Around the Network

I honestly miss the action. Still a great game though.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Ka-pi96 said:
RE6 was closer to RE's roots to me. In my view RE is first and foremost a zombie game so from my perspective, no zombies = not a proper RE.

Thats a rather narrow view of it in my opinion.While I also miss the good old zombie, RE is not defined by it, but rather the survival elements and the horror, combined with the exploration and light puzzles that the first RE introduced.I barrly began playing, but so far I am really enjoying it!Its been a loopoong ehile since I last enjoyed a horror game this much.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I really need to play this game as soon as I can. I keep getting spoiled up, down, left and right everytime I venture on the Internet. :(

glad to hear you liked it. i however hate horror games so this i my queue to not play it. xD

is there coop? i enjoyed playing 5 in coop.

Around the Network

People over-exaggerate how bad 5 & 6 really were. Still, the Revelations series already had the focus back on horror.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Isn't this new RE an First Person Shooter? How can this be called "returning to its roots"? The original games played much like Onimusha and had a camera view similar to Devil May Cry. I've never been a big fan of the series but when I realized it's just another FPS I decided to skip it all together.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

BraLoD said:
I just want to know if there are too many of those "chases" with the house residents, where fighting is pointless.
I know people are comparing it to RE3 with Nemesis, but that doesn't seem to be nearly the case, Nemesis was beatable at every single encounter, and successfully escaping would actually mean that and not keep on dragging it.

That's literally the only point of concern I have, and it's a big one (well, missing zombies is also a horrible thing, but there are some enemies to fight at least), and if we have to keep running until we reach a point where we can effectively deal with them down the road, as boss fights, that would take a major tool on my experience with the game, as I don't want to have to run and play hide and seek, if there is an enemy I want to either be able to deal with him or successfully escape him so I can securely explore the places I passed while running.

The hide and seek parts are, thankfully, few and far between. Some of the "dumber" enemies can't open doors so you'll be safe in certain rooms. Backtracking and exploration are a big part of RE7, and you will definitely be able to do so without constant fear of interruption.

BraLoD said:

So let's say, I escape the baker father that is chasing me in a certain part of the house, if I go back there, he won't be there anymore, he may or not be there or somewhere else because he is effectively moving like us, or he'll just still be there until I do something that makes him "teleport" for his next chasing place?

Haven't played the game, but considering how the trailers of the game seems to make it, he just "teleports" for the next chase scenario, and the previous areas become safe.

BraLoD said:
I just want to know if there are too many of those "chases" with the house residents, where fighting is pointless.
I know people are comparing it to RE3 with Nemesis, but that doesn't seem to be nearly the case, Nemesis was beatable at every single encounter, and successfully escaping would actually mean that and not keep on dragging it.

That's literally the only point of concern I have, and it's a big one (well, missing zombies is also a horrible thing, but there are some enemies to fight at least), and if we have to keep running until we reach a point where we can effectively deal with them down the road, as boss fights, that would take a major tool on my experience with the game, as I don't want to have to run and play hide and seek, if there is an enemy I want to either be able to deal with him or successfully escape him so I can securely explore the places I passed while running.

There aren't that many chases or mandatory hiding sequences. It's not too hard to escape once you know the layout, and they won't follow you into a save room no matter what. As Veknoid said, doors also stop the zombie looking things. Standard molded are pretty much the same as zombies. If you want to fight a bunch of them, make a lot of noise in the basement ;) There's more action later on as well.

Once you clear the boss in an area you have all the time to explore in safety, and normal enemies don't come back.

It's even more old school on madhouse difficulty. Hardly any checkpoints, limited saves, no health regen, fewer resources, 2 hit death at the start. Thankfully the max health increasing steroids are still there. On normal you can still beat the chase characters (although they keep coming back until the boss fight) yet on madhouse you don't want to take the chance or waste any ammo on that. Hhidin/running is for once a lot more efficient.