By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Old-School Fans Rejoice, Resident Evil Has Returned to its Roots

Tagged games:

fuallmofus said:
is it loaded with QTE like re6?

No, there is not a single qte in the entire game.

Ka-pi96 said:

I also gave my reasoning for that. So unless there are proper zombies in RE7 and the psycho family in the woods thing isn't actually the game then I stand by what I said...

Psycho family in the woods is a sympton... Second half of the game explains it all.

Chazore said:
Ka-pi96 said:
RE6 was closer to RE's roots to me. In my view RE is first and foremost a zombie game so from my perspective, no zombies = not a proper RE.

Add to that, the Tryrants that were manufactured weapons, that either ran amok or were designed to kill specific people. The removal of cerberus and other undead creatures, just makes the game feel less like undead horror and more on pure goop/parasite style horror. 

Resi 7 still looks to me like Hillbilly meets Outlast, with a pinch of Blair Witch Project. I'd argue that Remake 1 is as close as you can get to the original roots, and it's what I'm hoping REmake 2 will do as well.

It all makes sense in the second half of the game, and ties in perfectly with the RE universe.

CGI-Quality said:
d21lewis said:

I'd say it's a great addition to the series, a throwback, and a return to form. I didn't like the idea of it being first person but the demo convinced me. Aside from that, what was RE1-RE3 doing that RE7 forgot? Bad voice acting?

Yes, there are things that are RE-ish (little throwbacks and references), but it doesn't feel like any previous installment. Combat is nothing like before. The mood is nothing like before. No focus on zombies, etc, etc... It plays much more like Condemned: Criminal Origins mixed with Outlast and P.T. (and some reviewers agree, here) than any game in the RE Series. In fact, Dualshockers nails it for me:

"If it didn’t have “Resident Evil in the title, it would be easy at first to mistake RE7 for one of the many horror games that have come to reinvent the genre since Resident Evil first arrived: games like Amnesia: The Dark DescentOutlastAlien: Isolation, and others have clearly had an influence in shaping what RE7: Biohazard turned out to be. Though RE7 definitely shares a lot in common with those games, what’s more remarkable isn’t necessarily how RE7 has set itself apart from the previous titles in gameplay, tone, and setting, but how it manages to evoke the feel of the original Resident Evil titles while still implementing so many new and refreshing ideas for the series – ones that it has desperately needed for some time."

Now what has returned is the root of one thing - horror. It no longer feels like I'm a badass and ready to take on the world (as I did with REs 4-6). So, in a sense, I guess I can see where people are coming from when they say "return to form". But to me, it's still a different game than before. I welcome the new direction, either way.

Not all is as it seems at first. It's actually a lot more scary than a zomie virus when you think about it.

It's not 3rd person with fixed camera views, but it does nail the original RE vibe for me. I do have the feeling RE7 suffers a bit from the Windwaker effect. Initial resistance based on first impressions or the first part of the game in this case. Actually now on a second playthrough I'm noticing all the little clues hidden in plain sight and the foreshadowing going on. I really enjoyed the story and its implications at the end.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
d21lewis said:

Your opinion is yours and mine is no better. It's cool that you found a site that said what you wanted to convey (though I think the bolded kinda backs me up...). Based on extensive experience with the series, RE7 IS Resident Evil. It's the Resident Evil I didn't think was possible nor did I know I wanted but it's unmistakable what its lineage is. 

RE7 is RE, yep, for the new age. It doesn't bring any major "return" to the series for me, though. That's pretty much the jest of what plenty of reviewers (not just Dualshockers) have said and I fully stand behind that. Most things that made the originals stand out are not in this new game, but it has returned to a real feeling of horror. 

The references and throwbacks are nice little touches, but as many have said, outside of those, you could remove Resident Evil from the title and it could be another game entirely. 

It's the second post where you said something similar. What, specifically, is missing? Tell me that and I'll leave you alone.

Btw if you're looking for a high action game, this isn't it. According to my stats I have logged 109 kills in nearly 26 hours. That's about 4 per hour. It seems low and there is definitely more action, but it's usually more efficient to escape or hide.

What it brings back is making every kill feel like a significant accomplishment. No fodder.

It's the Metroid Prime of Resident Evil.

d21lewis said:

I take yours and Svennoj's take on the game over most people here. You two are at least explaining things as people whom it's obvious they actually played the game.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

Wow, that's really a great analogy. I'm stealing that  

Bristow9091 said:
FunFan said:
People over-exaggerate how bad 5 & 6 really were. Still, the Revelations series already had the focus back on horror.

They really do, I actually really like 5 and 6, enough to buy both of them multiple times and complete them god knows how many times over, lol... Resident Evil 7 to me, as a person that's only played the demo anyway, doesn't seem like a Resident Evil game, even after watching some gameplay later on it still seems like an Outlast clone with weapons or something... as if they've just slapped the Resident Evil name on it for sales. And if they're gonna' be going forward with this FPS style, then I'll be calling it a day with the series.

Also, to anyone that's finished it... without spoilers (Just a yes or no will do), does this game have ANYTHING to do with any of the other games in the series in terms of storyline? Because from what I've seen so far it seems completely standalone.

yes.

Massive spoilers:
http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/24/14373270/resident-evil-7-biohazard-vii-ending-explained-tie-in-rest-of-series-universe