Forums - Gaming Discussion - Old-School Fans Rejoice, Resident Evil Has Returned to its Roots

Tagged games:

So I played and beat Resident Evil 7 this weekend, and I want to pass along some impressions specfically geared to those who played and disliked the demo.

When I played the demo, I was uneasy, anxious, at times terrified. However, I thought it all too similar to games like Outlast and Amnesia. I felt like Capcom was overcompensating for the high-octane action in Resident Evils 4-6. And, indeed, the first hour of RE7 plays very much like those aforementioned first-person horror games. The hero Ethan is essentially helpless and must sneak around to survive. It was an OK experience but other games have done this kind of thing better. 

About an hour into the game, things open up. Ethan finds weapons, ammo (not much of it), herbs, and other items to keep him alive. The game introduces puzzles and hidden items. There's combat. There are boss encounters. There's item crafting. Gradually I realized that Resident Evil 7 is very much a love letter to the original Resident Evil, only set in a first-person perspective.

So, if you crave the old-school RE experience, don't let the first hour of Resident Evil 7 fool you. There are about 11 more hours of pure RE goodness after that

tl;dr version: after the first hour, RE7 turns into the old-school survival-horror action-adventure we know and love.

Around the Network

RE6 was closer to RE's roots to me. In my view RE is first and foremost a zombie game so from my perspective, no zombies = not a proper RE.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

I wouldn't say the series has returned to its roots, but at least, this time, the focus is back on being horrific and scary.

I honestly miss the action. Still a great game though.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Ka-pi96 said:
RE6 was closer to RE's roots to me. In my view RE is first and foremost a zombie game so from my perspective, no zombies = not a proper RE.

Thats a rather narrow view of it in my opinion.While I also miss the good old zombie, RE is not defined by it, but rather the survival elements and the horror, combined with the exploration and light puzzles that the first RE introduced.I barrly began playing, but so far I am really enjoying it!Its been a loopoong ehile since I last enjoyed a horror game this much.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

I really need to play this game as soon as I can. I keep getting spoiled up, down, left and right everytime I venture on the Internet. :(

glad to hear you liked it. i however hate horror games so this i my queue to not play it. xD

is there coop? i enjoyed playing 5 in coop.

Nautilus said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Thats a rather narrow view of it in my opinion.While I also miss the good old zombie, RE is not defined by it, but rather the survival elements and the horror, combined with the exploration and light puzzles that the first RE introduced.I barrly began playing, but so far I am really enjoying it!Its been a loopoong ehile since I last enjoyed a horror game this much.

That's a big part of why I see them primarily as zombie games. I don't really like horror games, but love zombie games. I know other horror games like The Evil Within and Alien Isolation have also received a lot of praise in recent years, but they're just not games I have any real desire to play. Unlike zombie stuff like Dying LIght, that was a day 1 for me and I loved. Actually even bought RE Operation Racoon City day 1. The idea of playing as an elite special forces team in a zombie infested city sounded great, didn't really work out too well but the concept still interested me enough to buy it.

So yeah, RE game with zombies = goes on my to buy list (possible day 1 even), RE without zombies = not completely ruled out but pretty unlikely to play even if it ends up on PS+ or something.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

I just want to know if there are too many of those "chases" with the house residents, where fighting is pointless.
I know people are comparing it to RE3 with Nemesis, but that doesn't seem to be nearly the case, Nemesis was beatable at every single encounter, and successfully escaping would actually mean that and not keep on dragging it.

That's literally the only point of concern I have, and it's a big one (well, missing zombies is also a horrible thing, but there are some enemies to fight at least), and if we have to keep running until we reach a point where we can effectively deal with them down the road, as boss fights, that would take a major tool on my experience with the game, as I don't want to have to run and play hide and seek, if there is an enemy I want to either be able to deal with him or successfully escape him so I can securely explore the places I passed while running.

People over-exaggerate how bad 5 & 6 really were. Still, the Revelations series already had the focus back on horror.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)