By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was it worth it for Square to make FFXV for XboxOne?

Should square keep FF PS4 exclusive?

Yes, that's where their fans are! 150 32.89%

Yes, I want PS4 to win! 29 6.36%

No, 3rd party exclusives suck! 61 13.38%

No, Square needs all the sales they can get! 151 33.11%

See answers. 65 14.25%

Total:456

Isn't it kinda their decision? If they think it's worth it, great! Why do we have to make everything exclusive?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

It was worth it. SE needs to build the userbase on Xbox One. They can't magically expect PS4 sales on Xbox One. They need to make sure that Xbox sees the same games that PS4 does. Otherwise you're always going to see spotty sales.

Of course it was worth it. Today the porting cost are so ridicously small, even smaller games are released on PS4/X1/PC combo and propably Switch will take some love ( Tegra chip ).

Good example is Gears of War 4 X1/PC - they have make a test in December with cross-play and the results are clear - 91% of participants were X1 owners, rest 9% were PC owners.
10 to 1 and MS still want to release their games on PC.

http://www.eurogamer.pl/articles/2017-01-29-gears-of-war-4-z-opcja-wspolnej-rozgrywki-na-pc-i-xbox-one

KingofTrolls said:
Of course it was worth it. Today the porting cost are so ridicously small, even smaller games are released on PS4/X1/PC combo and propably Switch will take some love ( Tegra chip ).

Good example is Gears of War 4 X1/PC - they have make a test in December with cross-play and the results are clear - 91% of participants were X1 owners, rest 9% were PC owners.
10 to 1 and MS still want to release their games on PC.

http://www.eurogamer.pl/articles/2017-01-29-gears-of-war-4-z-opcja-wspolnej-rozgrywki-na-pc-i-xbox-one

That's a bad example though. For a 3rd party developer like SE it's all about sales and nothing more. So their only benefit is additional sales that hopefully make up for the porting and support costs.

MS realeasing on Windows is something completely different. It's not about recouping development costs, it's about popularizing their platform. I doubt the amount of sales on PC is very high on the priority list for MS while for 3rd party developers it's the only thing that counts.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

It's not about recouping development costs, it's about popularizing their platform. 

I think totally the opposite. But well, one can guess.

Around the Network

Is this exlusivity begging? BTW, I bet the game will be ported to PC as well, presumably in 2018.

KingofTrolls said:
vivster said:

It's not about recouping development costs, it's about popularizing their platform. 

I think totally the opposite. But well, one can guess.

Then why not release it on PS4 if it's only about sales revenue?

vivster said:

Because PS4 is Sony's platform and PC ain't.

Sure, unless they can squeeze some money or some kind of deal out of Sony there's no reason to ditch Xbox. The sales they did get no doubt covered the costs of porting.

KingofTrolls said:
vivster said:

Because PS4 is Sony's platform and PC ain't.

So it's about supporting the platform after all.