By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is no longer a home console company...

Is Nintendo done with home consoles?

Yes. Their switch to mobi... 185 42.82%

No. The Switch is also a ... 247 57.18%

Total:432
j.thomaz said:
Sorry, but I find disrespectful to quote Emily Rogers like it were a fact. At the best those be "alternative facts" as the kids call it nowadays.

So you're saying the list she posted is wrong?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Slarvax said:

So you're saying the list she posted is wrong?

I'd call it awkard. Comparing Mario kart 8.. to Mario Kart 8? Really?

Minecraft to Minecraft? WTF does arms have to do with wonderful 101?

I'd say even the Marios is a stretch since one is a 4 player game and one may only do one player.

Its comparing how long it took for the Wii U to get important titles, and how the Switch is getting them all in less than a year.

The Lego comparision is dumb, both year 1, and the Switch version is just a port. Mario Kart, Zelda, Splatoon and 3D Mario in the same year? That's better than the entire Wii U release schedule.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

It's too big for a handheld, but not powerful enough to be a console.

It's a super powerful handheld, and a really portable console.

Which of these statements you agree with depends on what you want to see.

No, the manufacture dildos that I'm going to use for entertainment purposes. Loool people are so funny, you can play the game on the tv and at rooftop party with the same device, who gives a f about the definition for each individual.

Just waited about 20 minutes for my XB1 to update and now I have have to wait for the controller to get a fucking update? Fucking hell. I really hope the Switch is more of a handheld now...

Around the Network

and now I have to wait for Resident Evil 7 to get installed and updated. My god...

barneystinson69 said:

The Switch reveal has confirmed this, and how I believe this is because Nintendo knows it can't compete with Sony or Microsoft anymore. They don't have the 3rd parties, the online infrastructure, the fanbase, ect. Now I'm sure I'm going to have people say "OH, THE SWITCH IS A HYBRID, ITS TECHNICALLY A HOME CONSOLE AND HANDHELD!!!" Let me say one thing: The switch is a handheld console, that has a dock in order to make it look like a home console as well. Lets just look at the specs for example. For $299, you're getting a console that is around double the power of the Wii U, so roughly 1/3-1/2 the power of the XB1 (which is also $299). Now this looks bad enough, but when we look at 8.5 gen consoles (Scorpio and PS4Pro), the gap is even larger. Now I'm going to assume the Scorpio launches at $399, just like the Pro. For $100 more, you get consoles which are 6 and 8 times more powerful than the Switch, and both are likely to see price cuts as well. If the PS4Pro is 349 for the holidays, are you seriously telling me the gap in power is only worth $50? These specs sound more like a console that is primarily a handheld than a home console. If its half a generation behind the XB1 and PS4, than it definently is in trouble with the PS4Pro and Scorpio. Now you could argue specs don't matter, and thats true - to a certain extent.

However, when the gap is this large, its definently a problem. The Switch will definently struggle to get 3rd parties, and ultimately fail if its treated like a home console. If its treated more like a handheld, it has a far better chance. Now you could very well argue against me, but Nintendo is looking to put 3DS games on it, and says that they won't be replacing the Wii U with anything else. So Nintendo fans can treat this as whatever they think it is, but Nintendo from now on will make handheld consoles and mobile games, and that is it. The era of true home consoles for Nintendo is over; they already blew it with the Wii U, and I just don't see them ever recovering from it.  RIP

Umm..... I can't quite agree or disagree with you. Obviously it doesn't possess the same power as the PS4 and Xbone, but it could very well entice 3rd party developers. If we take a look back at their history, they developed the Nintendo Gamecube which was leagues beyond the PS2 in terms of power but also served as an inconvenience for developers. Ultimately, the PS2 ended up getting more developer support even though it was weaker. Nintendo needs to be more open to 3rd parties and from the looks of it, The Switch is looking to change their fortunes. It has no reigon lock and presumably has a stronger online network. The main thing I'm concerned about is the 32 GB of storage that comes with the console.  My ZTE Axon 7 has twice the storage capacity of the Switch and that's an Android phone which doesn't require massive amounts of space. I have no idea why Nintendo made this decision as it's gonna force developers to spend much of their time optimizing their games to fit inside the Switch's puny harddrive. Zelda already takes up 40 % of the hardrive, so consumers will have to rely on external SD Cards to increase their memory. Terrible decision on Nintendo's part, yet other than that, I really don't have that many complaints about the Switch. We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm not even sure why Nintendo is so intent on branding it as a home console.

Generally speaking your consoles are not very popular, with the last one being fairly close to rock bottom. You've been losing console marketshare for the better part of 25 years now. People overwhelmingly prefer your portables and have for every one of the last 4 generations.

IMO if the Switch doesn't take off, this is one thing Nintendo fans will pile onto and say was a mistake (they didn't brand it as a 3DS successor soon enough! That caused it to fail!" etc. etc. etc.).

We need to accept reality , Nintendo is focusing on handled targeted consumer, the same with Sony focusing on home console targeted consumer (by ditching Vita). And both are trying  mobile /smartphone market as we discuss here, and Nintendo is a head.

Yomieeee said:
bonzobanana said:

I'm fairly sure Breath of the Wild runs in portable mode unless you have some new information that states it only works when docked.

If your making the point about its performance level well the wii u has less memory, cpu and gpu performance than some phones nowadays so its hardly a title that requires a powerful system. It's more like a refinement of Zelda Windwaker and twilight princess on the gamecube graphically which ran with a 8 gflops gpu. It seems if anything to be at a mid point between the 2 styles of graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRlDXGj0TPA

Simple question, what would you classify Breath of the Wild as? Handheld console experience or home console experience?

I see where you are trying to go but the N64 home console experiences like Mario 64 and Zelda became handheld experiences as the technology developed and I've experienced many open world full 3d games on DS, 3DS, PSP and Vita. There is no wall that separetes home and handheld experiences except the required technology to do it.