By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is no longer a home console company...

Is Nintendo done with home consoles?

Yes. Their switch to mobi... 185 42.82%

No. The Switch is also a ... 247 57.18%

Total:432
Soundwave said:
I'm not even sure why Nintendo is so intent on branding it as a home console.

Generally speaking your consoles are not very popular, with the last one being fairly close to rock bottom. You've been losing console marketshare for the better part of 25 years now. People overwhelmingly prefer your portables and have for every one of the last 4 generations.

IMO if the Switch doesn't take off, this is one thing Nintendo fans will pile onto and say was a mistake (they didn't brand it as a 3DS successor soon enough! That caused it to fail!" etc. etc. etc.).

This bothers me a bit. I think it'd me more logical to brand it as a 3DS succesor. My bet is that the next year they'll probably target that handheld user base, and they don't want to lose 3DS sales this year, because they're still relasing games on it.

But in the end I don't think the mass market cares about how they're branding it. If Nintendo advertises the concept well enough, and as long as it's easy to understand, I don't think it'll be a concern. Let's see what happens.

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
Yomieeee said:

Simple question, what would you classify Breath of the Wild as? Handheld console experience or home console experience?

I see where you are trying to go but the N64 home console experiences like Mario 64 and Zelda became handheld experiences as the technology developed and I've experienced many open world full 3d games on DS, 3DS, PSP and Vita. There is no wall that separetes home and handheld experiences except the required technology to do it. 

I don't really think those N64 ports would count since they weren't "new games", but as someone previously stated, Monster Hunter is a home console experience on a handheld so I stand corrected.... though I still believe the Switch is both a home console and a handeld 

j.thomaz said:
Interesting discussion. Shows how people have short memories. Was the game gear a home console? Well you could connect it to a tv.

Nobody reacted to this. Was the Game Gear a hybrid? Why not? You could plug it to your TV set 

j.thomaz said:
j.thomaz said:
Interesting discussion. Shows how people have short memories. Was the game gear a home console? Well you could connect it to a tv.

Nobody reacted to this. Was the Game Gear a hybrid? Why not? You could plug it to your TV set 

Could you connect it to the tv right out of the box?

Barkley said:
m_csquare said:

And ofc he's ignoring every single game that came out on wiiu's first year. Zombiu, new super mario bros u, etc etc. I dont even own wiiu but i knw there're a lot more wiiu had to offer. OH wiiu actually has backward compatibility

Yeah it's not a good image.

Missing titles like NSMBU, ZombiU, Mass Effect, Batman & Assassins creed.

Not to mention some extremely questionable match ups.

Lego City Undercover, at year one exclusive for the WiiU... against.... Lego City Undercover, an old game that's now going to be on everything. It was a MUCH bigger deal on WiiU.

pretty much all the western 3rd party games are missing, probably cause they have no Switch equvilent. Not to mention a good chunck of these games are ports or multiplats. Why compare an original Sonic game for Wii U to a multiplat one? thats nothing to be proud

Around the Network
Yomieeee said:
j.thomaz said:

I was expecting someone to say that. So the dock coming in the box for this sku make it a hybrid, and if tomorrow (not going to happen for the same reason) Nintendo sells the NX without dock than it is a handheld? Good point....

j.thomaz said:
Yomieeee said:

I was expecting someone to say that. So the dock coming in the box for this sku make it a hybrid, and if tomorrow (not going to happen for the same reason) Nintendo sells the NX without dock than it is a handheld? Good point....

Like you said, that's not going to happen so it's not worth mentioning. The Switch is intended to be both a handheld and a home console. The Game Gear was intended to be a hanheld from jump. The TV part was implemented later.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the concept of the home console being anchored to the living room that's becoming archaic.

Granted, I've no doubt enthusiast PC's have plenty of life ahead of them, but portability is clearly the future for most tech, and that bar is fast approaching the kind of hardware Sony and Microsoft consoles are usually sporting.

Portability is always the future, and the Switch may simply be the first of what will become a more standard approach.

Yomieeee said:
j.thomaz said:

Like you said, that's not going to happen so it's not worth mentioning. The Switch is intended to be both a handheld and a home console. The Game Gear was intended to be a hanheld from jump. The TV part was implemented later.

Well, if the gg was not built to plug a receiver that would not be possible, so since the beginning they knew they would do it. Not different than the switch. It is a hybrid because your favorite brand says it is. They would have called that a tablet, everyone would be saying it is a tablet now.

We should wait for where will VGChartz put the Switch in at the front page. The left side (home consoles) or the right side (handhelds)

Pocky Lover Boy!