By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why does Microsoft xbox scorpio need exclusives when the top best selling games are multiplatform?

Snoopy said:

I was looking through the database on vgchartz on the top best selling games for xbox one and ps4 and most of them are multiplatform games. Why does xbox scorpio need exclusives when people are buying mostly multiplatform games. If the multiplatform games run and look significantly better on the xbox scorpio, that should convince a lot of people to buy an xbox system over another console. Not to say xbox won't have exclusives this year like Halo wars 2, city skyline, state of decay 2, Forza 7, Sea of theives, crackdown 3, Killer Instinct season,ect.. but I don't think exclusives will be a big reason to buy an xbox scorpio outside of a few people.

It's already been proven that major exclusives MOVE hardware. MS also needs to showcase the power of Scorpio, and not many third parties games outside of exclusive deals, will have the Xbox as the lead console for development since Sony leads the market.

Obviously its not the only factor but its definitely a factor. 

Top sellers having a lot of third party games over first party games, speaks to the amount of third party developers + yearly releases like CoD, Fifa, 2K, etc.

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Jazz2K said:

Ofc hardcore gamers will go where the games they want are. Some hardcore gamers put their bias aside and are able to give good advice based on the needs of the person asking. Just because one has many more exclusives doesn't make it the best by default...  see PC.Other factors come into play and since the start of this thread it's like people refuse to admit while exclusives are important they are not the only reason people choose a console over another. I'm willing to bet that company bias is stronger than exclusives. Especially since they sell so few and they are generally announced later in the gen.

Interesting that you say 'are important' but only offer 'not the only reason' for everything else. This means we're getting somewhere because you're prioritising exclusives in that statement and so agreeing with everyone else who has said they're the most important reason. If company bias was one of the reasons then why isn't the US leaning more towards the console that had the much bigger install base in the US last gen? Is 'company bias' transmutable because there's no other explanation if what you're saying is true. If so, then what are the factors that make that possible?

And here's something else to think about: Are people going to buy the Switch for the multiplatform games or the exclusives?

Lol even if I like how you ended your post I think you are far off.

I will always support that exclusives are important, never said they weren't. It doesn't mean they are the only nor the most important part for the masses and I believe that's what the OP is defending. Company bias is very strong in gaming actually, you can choose to ignore it but everyday we get proof of that. You got to remember that except for 360 Playstation was always bigger in the US. So ofc it's still synonymous with gaming. I think what drove people to 360 back in 2005-2006 had nothing to do with exclusives but both price and 1 year headstart. Price will drive the masses way more than exclusives.

On Nintendo's case, Wii sold gangbuster not because of exclusives but because of it's novelty for the price. The same happened with Kinect to a lesser extent. Switch will sell well imo because of a combination of novelty and exclusives (we're talking about Nintendo here).

Anyway my point has always been that exclusives may not be what drive the masses but it can be part of it as long as that exclusive is a blockbuster. Otherwise, mainstream gamers are not going to talk about Nier Automata, Catherine or D4... but they'll talk about Gran Turismo and Halo mainly because they are blockbusters. Most people don't even know these games are exclusives, they just buy them if they have the right console otherwise they buy something else.

Snoopy said:
AnmolRed said:
Exclusives are the reason people choose consoles, if a console has multiplatform game along with exclusives, people will prefer that console as it's better value and has more diversity (which is why the ps4 is selling so much)

I just looked at the top 30 exclusives on the ps4. Outside of remasters, uncharted 4 was the only one in the top 30. It seems most people don't even care for ps4 exclusives outside of forums.

Why exclude remasters? They are just as exclusive as other games. In fact, they are double exclusive. Maybe even triple. That's a ****** up omission. I will NEVER forget the Star Wars remasters. This scene

turned Return Of The Jedi from something I barely remembered, into my favorite remaster of 1997.  A grotesque oversight. I don't want to cast aspersions, but I feel you might have an agenda. Grotesque.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

People buy a console over the other for a magnitude of reasons. Some more important than others depending on the person.
Games, controller, system reliability, OS, price, functions, attractiveness, familiarity or perception with company, what their friends have. There are other reasons of course but I listed the main ones. For us hardcore people games is likely to be the most important reason, but it can differ from person to person.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Lets say a console has 50 niche unique exclusives. And each one manages to sell 500K worlwide. Well thats 25 million potential fans that would go with ps4. Those sales caused by the niche games fanbase eventually adds up to millions of extra sales. Every niche game has a fanbase. People want to deny it because xbox doesn't get them. The rest of the sales then come from third party people and big first party games.

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
Snoopy said:

I just looked at the top 30 exclusives on the ps4. Outside of remasters, uncharted 4 was the only one in the top 30. It seems most people don't even care for ps4 exclusives outside of forums.

Why exclude remasters? They are just as exclusive as other games. In fact, they are double exclusive. Maybe even triple. That's a ****** up omission. I will NEVER forget the Star Wars remasters. This scene

turned Return Of The Jedi from something I barely remembered, into my favorite remaster of 1997.  A grotesque oversight. I don't want to cast aspersions, but I feel you might have an agenda. Grotesque.

Because Remasters arent exclusives. Well the game isnt anyway. You dont need said console to play said game unless you want to play an upscaled version of a 5 year game thats fine. Remakes on the other hand are different.

I can only speak for myself, and while graphics power is a factor in which hardware I purchase, I probably wouldn't want an Xbox One even if it were more powerful than ps4 and my PC.

It is funny... Nintendo needs multiplatform titles and Microsoft needs more exclusive content.

The truth is, exclusives are probably less important than people on message boards think. Most people buy what their community of friends have and it can normally start in a primitive place. I bought a PlayStation 4 because it has a controller I like while I strongly dislike the Xbox brand of controllers. My friends all followed suit (a couple also bought Xbox One anyway) and anyone that enters our little gaming circle ends up with a PlayStation 4.

I do not think exclusives have sold one console more than the other. I think a lot of people buy the one they want and then buy games that will justify that purchase; exclusive or not.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000