By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why does Microsoft xbox scorpio need exclusives when the top best selling games are multiplatform?

Snoopy said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Exclusives are the most important feature of any console when it comes to 'selling point'. Just search your soul and ask yourself: 'Would this argument even exist if the XB1 had as many exclusives as the PS4?' No.

Nier, Nioh, Gravity Rush 2, Kingdom hearts, Tales of Basteria, Horizon zero dawn, Yakuza 0 and others are all reasons to buy a PS4 over other rival consoles.

They're very niche games outside of zero dawn that doesn't sell well or appeal to the masses or me. I can state sea of theives, forza, crackdown, city skyline, path of exile, state of decay 2, halo wars 2 and more from this year alone, not all of those games are going to appeal to the masses or excactly appeal to me. Judging the video game sales on those games, they don't appeal or attract too many people. I remember you hyped disagea 5 and that game didn't sell well at all after two years. Most ps4 owners buy big third party games. Why not focus making the experience for those games better on your platform. That is what most people are playing.

Yes those are all niche games, just like all of Sonys 2016 games like World of Final Fantasy, The Last Guardian, Dragon Quest Builders etc are niche games yet they outsold Quantum Break and Recore, lol.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Around the Network
NATO said:
Snoopy said:

Scorpio is obviously just going to be a pc that is closed off. When scorpio 2 comes out in 3-4 years, it can run the same original scorpio games at higher graphics, just like pc with newer hardware. Phil wants PC and Xbox one to work together thus the whole play anywhere. As long as you in MIcrosoft's ecosystem, they're happy. Thats what I see from Phil and the push for windows 10 and xbox play anywhere.

So what youre saying is..

From now on, Xbox consoles will just be single spec steamboxes that can't run steam and are limited to the Microsoft store instead, and will run games designed for PC using automatic scaling and no optimisation at all.

Way to sell a product man, sounds fucking awful.

Also, you're talking out of your backside.

Well people predicted steamboxes will kill consoles(we all know how's that going) so maybe he's on to something.

Exclusives are only part of the reason I buy a console.

Ali_16x said:
Snoopy said:

They're very niche games outside of zero dawn that doesn't sell well or appeal to the masses or me. I can state sea of theives, forza, crackdown, city skyline, path of exile, state of decay 2, halo wars 2 and more from this year alone, not all of those games are going to appeal to the masses or excactly appeal to me. Judging the video game sales on those games, they don't appeal or attract too many people. I remember you hyped disagea 5 and that game didn't sell well at all after two years. Most ps4 owners buy big third party games. Why not focus making the experience for those games better on your platform. That is what most people are playing.

Yes those are all niche games, just like all of Sonys 2016 games like World of Final Fantasy, The Last Guardian, Dragon Quest Builders etc are niche games yet they outsold Quantum Break and Recore, lol.

kek.

Vasto said:

So you admit that exclusives are a deciding factor when purchasing a console?

Would you buy a console with no exclusives?

Around the Network

Exclusives are what defines a console while also giving you a perspective on what a company is dedicating to providing you the consumer with adequate entertainment.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Considering the market it's going for, it may not need them. But some exclusives would help give it an identity over just catering to the main trio. But, if the current strategy is to have the most powerful box for now, I say more power to them. They've exhausted their options for Xbox One for the most part, if they need the new hardware to give them an edge, I don't blame them with the position they're in.

aLkaLiNE said:
Vasto said:

So you admit that exclusives are a deciding factor when purchasing a console?

Would you buy a console with no exclusives?

Exclusives are part of it but there are also other things I look at.

I am a mutliplayer so the online service is huge. Things like the OS and controller are also things that are important.  

The quality of free games that comes with the online sub is very important because for me that is where the majority of my games will come from. 

Consoles will always have exclusives. I do not see a day when all consoles will have the exact same games.

Because both have these multiplats. A characteristic that both share can't be used to make a decision: people will do it based on the differences. The Scorpio will have slightly better visuals. PS4 Pro will be cheaper and have more exclusives. Historically, graphics never made a console win over another, while pricing and games were always key factors. MS should at least try to get the "games" factor to lean towards their side.

Visuals aren't that important. Some people seem to think that X1 is trailing behind the PS4 because it runs games at a slightly lower resolution. It is selling less because PS4 launched way cheaper and kept a price advantage for a long time. MS also got a lot of bad press due to DRM and it affected them in the US, their biggest market. Sony managed to use the momentum to increase their already strong position in EU and to keep a bit ahead in NA. Basically, MS screwed up and Sony was almost 100% spot-on.

Anyway, I expect the Scorpio to do what PS4 Pro is doing: around 10 to 15% of total sales. It's a more expensive SKU and most people seem to consider that 4K isn't a worthy update and will rather save a few bucks. A few year down the road, maybe after the next gen launches, those will probably become the new default SKUs so they won't be so outdated compared to the new devices.

I also expect this gen to go for 7 years like the last. Games are now too complex and publishers need a longer gen to be able to actually ship the games. Scorpio and Pro will help to avoid what happened in the last years of PS360, with slumping sales due to being outdated. Anyway, MS and Sony will need more time to provide a substantial upgrade to these consoles. They wouldn't risk having next gen consoles that could be considered minor upgrades.

Exclusives do matter. Cause if it say the x1 had no exclusives but had only 3rd party games but ps4 has both exclusives and third party games, then why would anyone buy an x1?

Console A) Has Third Parties
Console B) Has Exclusives and Third Parties

Gee, I wonder which one I would choose...

Having exclusives and third parties is what really sells the console and that is why PS is at the top. The question should be, why do people buy an x1 when exclusives are available on PC? And the answer is cause the x1 is cheaper than a PC.

So the question when Scorpio comes out will be, what will the price be compared to it's performance value? I say if it costs $500, the value won't be there for a lot of people for a number of reasons. If it costs $400-$450, the value for gaming should be there compared to buying a PC for gaming with a top end i3 + 1060 if you are really on a budget and like the xbox experience. And I think that is what MS will be banking on when it comes to Scorpio.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850